Zotac rtx 3080 trinity allegedly gimped on purpose

spartaman64
1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

they maybe expect it not to throttle at 70 degrees? its not mentioned anywhere and probably most people still dont know. and there are many other similar priced cards from other AIB partners that dont have this problem 

There are several temperature sensors on the board. The Gainward tool for my 2070S is certainly reporting different temps compared to hwinfo or GPU-Z. There might be a different sensor responsible for throttling.

It could also be just a correlation and it hits the power limit. A hotter chip will draw more power. 

I looked through the reddit comments and couldn't find any concrete information. Someone said, a custom fan profile will increase performance (and noise). I would always opt for a quieter card, even if the performance would be a little bit lower. And this might be the choice Zotac made. Reducing noise by a lot for a 1% - 3% performance drop seems reasonable. But this is all just speculation.

4fvql2.jpg

Once custom bios's start appearing, issue like these shouldn't be a problem.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 9/22/2020 at 5:58 PM, HotdropHeinz said:

What do you guys think?

you know what, i just realised something

this story might be true, because i bought the first batch (literally day 1 launch) of the 2070S Gigabyte 2070S

and noticed it was running hot, repasting did not help so i sent it in for RMA (they did not know it was repasted, so idk if they cover warranty after you repaste)

now i received the card and it's running cool, so i thought they did a repaste or something

now that you mention they gimped power limit with new vbios, it makes perfect sense that it runs cooler if they simply updated the vbios also explains why they didnt ask me about the repaste

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

it makes perfect sense that it runs cooler if they simply updated the vbios

uhoh yes that makes sense indeed... feelsbadman

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver