Need advise on getting cable run up to my house - Stuck paying almost $450 a month for crappy Hughsnet satellite internet

LionsTheBoss

I live in Bonny Doon California, and although there has been gigabit internet available in my area - There is no cable that has been run up to my home when it was built. Where do I go to have a cable run up to my house? Xfinity has refused to do it for whatever reason, even though I live right next to the road. Moreover, I'm a student in highschool and really need fast internet as it's a pain to have to get my parents to drive 25 mins downtown every morning for Zoom and sit in the car for 6 hours without bathroom.

Right now we're stuck with Hughsnet satellite internet paying almost $450 a month for unreliable 500KB-2.0MB/s down and 700KB/s upload speeds. Which has nearly 3000ms ping times, which means no online gaming - And I always interupt people in zoom.

Moreover, as far as I know Starlink seems to be my only alternative to getting a cable run - Although Startlink is still in the process of being finished and I need fast internet before then

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3 minutes ago, LionsTheBoss said:

I live in Bonny Doon California, and although there has been gigabit internet available in my area - There is no cable that has been run up to my home when it was built. Where do I go to have a cable run up to my house? Xfinity has refused to do it for whatever reason, even though I live right next to the road. Moreover, I'm a student in highschool and really need fast internet as it's a pain to have to get my parents to drive 25 mins downtown every morning for Zoom and sit in the car for 6 hours without bathroom.

Right now we're stuck with Hughsnet satellite internet paying almost $450 a month for unreliable 500KB-2.0MB/s down and 700KB/s upload speeds. Which has nearly 3000ms ping times, which means no online gaming - And I always interupt people in zoom.

Moreover, as far as I know Starlink seems to be my only alternative to getting a cable run - Although Startlink is still in the process of being finished and I need fast internet before then

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Disclaimer: I don't know how it legally works where you live.

You may be responsible for actually running the connection. If the cable line is buried, you will need to run a trench and bury it deep enough. Regardless of if it is buried or elevated, because the city owns the property beyond your sidewalk and the cable company owns the neighborhood box, you will have to work with both parties to get a line run to your house. It can be done, but it will require a bit of coordination.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Looks like Amazon has 500 feet of coaxial cable for 250 bucks.

Don't bother digging a trench, just hang it from the pole to the house just under the power line. It's a lot easier and cheaper that way.

Depending on where the closest node is and who owns the land between you and it, you will likely need to talk to both the city/county and ISP.

Cost will be >$10,000 and possibly much more depending the length of cable run and how much work needs to be done to connect into the existing infrastructure. 

One alternative to a cable run is a microwave link or directional wifi. Either requires line of sight and somewhere to tap into the network but will save big money compared to a cable run. 

The other alternative is cellular connection if reception is decent. You can install a signal booster at your home to improve reception.

11 hours ago, LionsTheBoss said:

Xfinity has refused to do it for whatever reason, even though I live right next to the road.

The node could be full. The length of the cable run could be too great. Or they don’t want to pay for it and are trying to pass the cost on to your family. Your folks could check in to the franchise agreement between Comcast and your community to see if Comcast might be forced to serve you but if not then it’s likely you need to pony up the money or deal with crappy internet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the Current lowest latitude Starlink is available?

I've seen that people in Northern Washington have gotten to try it out.