Which RTX 3080 variant should I buy?

Chris Redfield

Hello everybody,

I plan to buy RTX 3080 tomorrow and I'm not sure which version is the best.

I can choose between these models:

EVGA RTX 3080  XC3 Gaming

EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Black Gaming 

I read that Black version have no backplate,and it's almost as same as Reference GPUs,and I heard it has lower frequency's then most Non Reference GPUs.

I would like to know is that really the truth because it costs around 65-70 euros less than regular XC3 Gaming.

XC3 Gaming (non black) have modest OC capability and I think it has small factory boost but it's also 65-70 euros more expensive.

I would like to know which one should I get and which one will get better FPS in gaming and also,are those good variation or lower-end?

For the 3080, the product specs for both are identical, including clock speed. In fact, I can't find anything published that differentiates one from the other except for the price. The product images are even the same (though they don't show the backs). There's obviously something that justifies paying less for the black version, but it's not in the top line specs, assuming those are accurate on EVGA's website.

As far as OC potential goes, I wouldn't count on any of the cards giving anything significant. Gamers Nexus focused on this specifically in their review, and basically said any significant OC is going to require a significantly higher power limit than the reference cards. You're likely not going to see that out of the first AIB cards as they were rushed to market.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Buy the one you want the most from a reputable store were you have the option to return the card if reviews shows poor performance or other problems. Reviews on the 3rd party cards will be out shortly so you will know soon enough. However this only works if you can manage to NOT open the card to make sure its easy to return without any problems. 

15 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

For the 3080, the product specs for both are identical, including clock speed. In fact, I can't find anything published that differentiates one from the other except for the price. The product images are even the same (though they don't show the backs). There's obviously something that justifies paying less for the black version, but it's not in the top line specs, assuming those are accurate on EVGA's website.

As far as OC potential goes, I wouldn't count on any of the cards giving anything significant. Gamers Nexus focused on this specifically in their review, and basically said any significant OC is going to require a significantly higher power limit than the reference cards. You're likely not going to see that out of the first AIB cards as they were rushed to market.

If you took a wild guess how much less FPS and overall performance would I lose if I choose Black version?

12 minutes ago, Haak said:

Buy the one you want the most from a reputable store were you have the option to return the card if reviews shows poor performance or other problems. Reviews on the 3rd party cards will be out shortly so you will know soon enough. However this only works if you can manage to NOT open the card to make sure its easy to return without any problems. 

I plan to buy both from same store,and as for reviews for 3d party cards,I plan to buy them tomorrow in first minutes when store officially release them because everyone saying that there is very limited stock worldwide.

32 minutes ago, kpluck said:

Do you really need the card right away? I would hold off on the purchase until more reviews are available on the 3rd party cards and their cooling solutions.

-kp

Sorry,I haven't saw your post earlier.

Yeah,I don't see any point in waiting,price won't reduce for few months,and I really don't care too much for cooling except when I OC,however Chris said OC is not very relevant in this series.

I just want to get as much of FPS as I can,so even those 3  FPS and maybe few more with OC is worth,but to pay 60 euros for 1-2 and same OC potential-I'll think I'll pass.

The thing that bothers me the most is some reviewers said that RTX 2080 had lower clocks than any other variations from almost all manufacturers.

29 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

If you took a wild guess how much less FPS and overall performance would I lose if I choose Black version?

No, because there's no spec mentioned that's any different. It would either be the same exact performance for both, or it's impossible to say what you might lose, because there's no indication of what's different.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse