3950x temps

Go to solution Solved by Lordofcheez,
1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah, don't do that. 

Use the Offset Mode, and do a -0.05V negative offset on the Vcore. You could go lower after that, but that's just to start.

First though, use the Auto voltage, run something like Cinebench R20, and note down your temperature, Vcore voltage and CB score. Then undervolt, and check those again. You don't want your performance score to drop (at least not too much), but you'll want to see those thermals go down.

okay heard that Ill try that later considering I dont want to spend another hour testing everything again.

Hi, I have had my 3950x for awhile now and I have always had a problem with the temps. When I leave everything at auto the max it gets is 85c. When I drop the voltages to 1.3v in the same tests (cine and blender) it reaches 100c. The case I am using it the nzxt h500i and the cooler is a noctua dh-d15 with only one fan. Im hoping someone could explain how I can get better temps. I have replaced the thermal and mounting it to the cpu twice now so im sure its not that.

6 minutes ago, Lordofcheez said:

I am using it the nzxt h500i 

Take off the front panel and retest your temps. Odds are your case isn't allowing your system the airflow it needs to keep everything cool. 

That second fan also does help a lot but given your case you probably cant fit it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

that's the normal operating temp of that cpu under that cooler, in that airflow restrictive case

13 minutes ago, Lordofcheez said:

Im hoping someone could explain how I can get better temps

undervolting, got my 3900x to 66c from 77c at stock, running 1.1v now

i kept my cores at around 3.95ghz at 1.1v, which is similar to stock all core boost clock at 1.25v

wattage dropped from 140W to 110W, temp from 77c to 66c, CB score about the same

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

10 hours ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

On what CPU fan

10 hours ago, Lordofcheez said:

noctua dh-d15

Hi,

Ambient temps? and you could try removing the side panel and check temps as said above, if that drops down the temps significantly then it's likely bad airflow in the case. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

30 minutes ago, Lordofcheez said:

When I drop the voltages to 1.3v in the same tests (cine and blender) it reaches 100c.

What do you mean you "drop the voltage to 1.3V"? The stock all-core voltage should be lower than that.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

11 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Ambient temps? and you could try removing the side panel and check temps as said above, if that drops down the temps significantly then it's likely bad airflow in the case. 

yes the side panel does drop it a lot should I just get a better case? 

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

What do you mean you "drop the voltage to 1.3V"? The stock all-core voltage should be lower than that.

meaning in the bios I have manually set the v core to 1.3 im using the asus bios btw 

should I just get a better case? 

what are your temps exactly when the side panel is off? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

28 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

that's the normal operating temp of that cpu under that cooler, in that airflow restrictive case

undervolting, got my 3900x to 66c from 77c at stock, running 1.1v now

i kept my cores at around 3.95ghz at 1.1v, which is similar to stock all core boost clock at 1.25v

wattage dropped from 140W to 110W, temp from 77c to 66c, CB score about the same

okay ill try a 1.1 do you think I can at least have the ratio to 42?

2 minutes ago, Lordofcheez said:

meaning in the bios I have manually set the v core to 1.3 im using the asus bios btw 

Yeah, don't do that. 

Use the Offset Mode, and do a -0.05V negative offset on the Vcore. You could go lower after that, but that's just to start.

First though, use the Auto voltage, run something like Cinebench R20, and note down your temperature, Vcore voltage and CB score. Then undervolt, and check those again. You don't want your performance score to drop (at least not too much), but you'll want to see those thermals go down.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

what are your temps exactly when the side panel is off? 

It drops about 15-20c when everything is stock and the side panel is off the max it gets is 68c at 3.9ghz 

It drops about 15-20c when everything is stock and the side panel is off the max it gets is 68c at 3.9ghz 

Oh yea so the airflow is pretty bad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah, don't do that. 

okay heard that Ill try that later considering I dont want to spend another hour testing everything again.

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Oh yea so the airflow is pretty bad. 

yah I need like a fractal or something with a better front panel. thanks for the replies tho everyone

35 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Take off the front panel and retest your temps. Odds are your case isn't allowing your system the airflow it needs to keep everything cool. 

That second fan also does help a lot but given your case you probably cant fit it. 

you cant take off the front panel on this case.

1 minute ago, Lordofcheez said:

you cant take off the front panel on this case.

Oh I thought this was the glass front panel Elite version. My bad. Tofu's suggestion of the side panel as a test to alleviate any airflow bottleneck will also suffice. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Oh I thought this was the glass front panel Elite version. My bad. Tofu's suggestion of the side panel as a test to alleviate any airflow bottleneck will also suffice. 

No it is def airflow bottle necked I know that it was just weird that I was getting higher temps when putting it at a lower voltage. With the offset tho and not manually doing it seems to be working just fine.

4 hours ago, Lordofcheez said:

okay ill try a 1.1 do you think I can at least have the ratio to 42?

tough, i got to 4.0 with my best CCD, 4.2 is much harder to get to, probably need a super good die

edit: yea it's basically near impossible on 1.1v

image.png.6f6135736c6787109e0a071c11faf3af.png

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately