disabling windows indexing a good idea on HDD?

So im using an i5 - 6th gen u processor laptop with just a 1tb HDD inside. NO SSD

Before going in the topic i know my system sucks (gonna buy a new one) until then cant buy an ssd because for some reason they're crazy expensive in India.

side note:

should i wait for zen 3 mobile cpus and nvidia 3000 series mobile chips for laptops? if yes any idea till when?

So i recently saw somewhere that disabling the windows search indexing helps increase the performance of the disk

here are my doubts.

1. Does it actually help in daily use?

2. Difference in indexing in hdd/ssd?

2. What will be the impact?

3. not a big user of search but what if i remove that and replace it with everything?

4. Is everything better than windows search indexing? can i "pause" it?

Thanks for reading. sorry if its repeated didn't find the topic when searched.

1. Depends on how you define help.

2. Not much difference

3. Your file searches will take a million years longer cos there's no index of where every file is.

4. I don't understand this question, what does remove search and replace it with everything?  Everything what?

5. Huh?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

1. Depends on how you define help.

2. Not much difference

3. Your file searches will take a million years longer cos there's no index of where every file is.

4. I don't understand this question, what does remove search and replace it with everything?  Everything what?

5. Huh?

1.help as in maybe increase in performance of the hdd in terms of snappiness or random read/writes.

4. search everything is a separate file indexing tool/software used on windows. i had it at my workplace and it performed way better on that system but theres a lot of hardware differences so im not sure.

5. see 4

4 minutes ago, parthm said:

1.help as in maybe increase in performance of the hdd in terms of snappiness or random read/writes.

4. search everything is a separate file indexing tool/software used on windows. i had it at my workplace and it performed way better on that system but theres a lot of hardware differences so im not sure.

5. see 4

Indexing doesn't generally happen until the system is idle, so you probably won't feel any difference day to day.  Search Everything still works the same way, it indexes all your files before you'll get the most out of it.  By default Windows only indexes very limited directories.  You can change that.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

Indexing doesn't generally happen until the system is idle, so you probably won't feel any difference day to day.  Search Everything still works the same way, it indexes all your files before you'll get the most out of it.  By default Windows only indexes very limited directories.  You can change that.

somebody tell windows that. it bloody thinks its idle even when im gaming with 80 plus cpu and gpu utilization. will randomly start some diagnostic. it will crash because my pc is doing everything to run the game and then starts crash handler which in turn crashes my game.

theres some difference in working of both for sure. 

i dont care about search that much in the first place. even i didnt think it would update all the time but articles/yt videos suggest that it gives a boost and i trust windows to fuck shit up.

Do you have 25$? Get a small ssd and set it as cache for your hdd or fresh install windows on it and put everything else on the hdd.

As for you system crashing that should not be happening even if you are on a hdd only system

8 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Do you have 25$? Get a small ssd and set it as cache for your hdd or fresh install windows on it and put everything else on the hdd.

As for you system crashing that should not be happening even if you are on a hdd only system

as i said i want to buy a new system. i was waiting for a SKU to be available in my location but the new announcements are creating confusion for me. considering i would not use this laptop once i replace it, i dont see the point of spending on a small ssd that i wont use anytime later and migrating windows to it. its too much of a hassle.

also i dont wanna spend unnecessarily until at least my job starts because well pandemic.

13 minutes ago, parthm said:

i trust windows to fuck shit up.

You can always count on that yeah! ;)

However I don't think your issues (slowness?) Come from search indexing, nor your processor... 

Windows just as you rightly noticed tend to "fuck things up" and *especially* on laptops is often getting slower with each update.  So the first question would be which Windows/update version is installed on this laptop?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You can always count on that yeah! ;)

However I don't think your issues (slowness?) Come from search indexing, nor your processor... 

Windows just as you rightly noticed tend to "fuck things up" and *especially* on laptops is often getting slower with each update.  So the first question would be which Windows/update version is installed on this laptop?

currently on 1909

2004 available since i had paused updates. haven't gone to it  yet. usually wait for some time for any bad news to come out first.

1 minute ago, parthm said:

Figured as much, I'm currently on the same version and my laptop is suddenly*very* slow (and randomly gets even slower for no reason) also the update completely broke the"harman audio software" on it...

So what you can do is buy a new laptop or actually reinstall windows to fix it which is a very tedious and lengthy process on laptops with all their special drivers and such...

Because it's not really the version of windows it's more that the update process itself meses things up (drivers etc)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Figured as much, I'm currently on the same version and my laptop is suddenly*very* slow (and randomly gets even slower for no reason) also the update completely broke the"harman audio software" on it...

So what you can do is buy a new laptop or actually reinstall windows to fix it which is a very tedious and lengthy process on laptops with all their special drivers and such...

Because it's not really the version of windows it's more that the update process itself meses things up (drivers etc)

sigh. thanks