can you set a monitor lower than 60 hz?

So I know that moving a display from 60hz - 120hz can kill battery life on some laptops, which got me thinking. Can I set my laptops refresh rate to 15hz and increase battery life? intuitively if refresh rate up means battery life goes down, then refresh rate down would make the battery life go up. Unfortunately windows settings prove to be unhelpful as the only option is 60hz, which could mean either that windows doesn't think anyone should set it below 60hz (as many others of pcmr likely agree) or that there's some hardware level issue that means that the panel is only able to go at 60hz. If anyone knows anything about how the monitor panel works and could prove or disprove that it can be set lower, let me know. Thanks!

side note, the windows basic display adapter sets the screen to 15hz, but I don't know if it's just updating at 15hz while the display is going 60hz still, or if its true 15hz. If the display is still refreshing at 60hz I'd imagine that would mean no battery savings from keeping it on. Either way the resolution is not the best so I can't imagine many people would want it.

Capture.PNG

The difference would be marginal, most power from the screen would be used on resolution and brightness

Seeing you have intel integrated graphics they have a control panel you can open to make a custom resolution and refresh rate

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

I doubt you would see much. If you really want to preserve battery then get the brightness of your monitor as low as it goes because the LEDs for the backlight are going to be the biggest draw for the entire system unless you're absolutely hammering GPU and/or CPU

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Depends if the monitor driver would accept it as a valid input.

Though as others have said, it doesn't matter much to battery life, brightness does

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately