Cheap Laptop for Accounting/ Zoom $200ish

Hey guys, this might be a super tough ask I'm not super laptop savvy, my mom messaged me asking if I knew any laptops she could get for online teaching and some side accounting for clients. Her budget is roughly $200 which to me seems a little low. She said she might be able to go higher if I had a good suggestion so I figured I'd come here to ask people who probably know more.

Any helps appreciated! Thanks :)

Can you get a used one?

Id probalby get something like a used thinkpad t440 or latitue e6440. Get one with a ssd and it will be reasonbly fast.

Or get a chromebook if you can use chromeos

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you get a used one?

Id probalby get something like a used thinkpad t440 or latitue e6440. Get one with a ssd and it will be reasonbly fast.

Or get a chromebook if you can use chromeos

She doesn't seem to mind used and I sent her some listings of what you suggested. I'm not sure if she can use chromeos and also not sure if she would know lol but thanks for the help!

I'd get a used thinkpad x230. They're relatively light and portable. But if your mom don't care about portability too much, get a thinkpad t440p.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Used Thinkpad or Chromebook if she can live with ChromeOS (or is willing to dual-boot Linux).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Used laptops are the best value for sure. I can't think of any new $200 Chromebooks which would perform well, and most Chromebooks aren't fast to begin with. Most used laptops you'll find on eBay usually don't have any hard drives or power adapters, so you need to factor that into the price.

X230, T430, T440, or T440p. With the last three, she can upgrade the CPU down the line for a bit more performance. The quad-core CPUs on those still perform reasonably well. Even the i7-3520M on the X230 does okay with basic office work and Zoom.

2 minutes ago, panzersharkcat said:

X230, T430, T440, or T440p. With the last three, she can upgrade the CPU down the line for a bit more performance. The quad-core CPUs on those still perform reasonably well. Even the i7-3520M on the X230 does okay with basic office work and Zoom.

Even the i5 3320M in my Thinkpad X230 does okay with basic office work and zoom.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |