5700 XT v 3070

Tastyboi

Hey all, 

I was planning on grabbing the Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ SE graphics card in a few weeks for my first build (it was the only iffy part of the build and I was honestly just pressured into the rbg due to it being only $20 more.😂)

Now with the announcement today, it seems like the RTX 3070 is not only a better choice for only $50 more AND I get access to that juicy rtx noise cancelling software. 
I just need a more experienced brain to confirm this next statement:..

the 3070 not only blows the 5700XT out of the water in performance, but also beats one of the strongest GPUs on the market (2080Ti) at half the price point?

I'm guessing the two smartest options for me are to wait for OEM models to be revealed, released and reviewed or wait for big navi?(which is now under heat to match these price points it seems)

Thanks for your time! (:

Navi 2 will have a hard time countering what nvidia offered.

If it's true that a 3070 will match 2080ti, then it's a no brainer.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, Tastyboi said:

Hey all, 

I was planning on grabbing the Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ SE graphics card in a few weeks for my first build (it was the only iffy part of the build and I was honestly just pressured into the rbg due to it being only $20 more.😂)

Now with the announcement today, it seems like the RTX 3070 is not only a better choice for only $50 more AND I get access to that juicy rtx noise cancelling software. 
I just need a more experienced brain to confirm this next statement:..

the 3070 not only blows the 5700XT out of the water in performance, but also beats one of the strongest GPUs on the market (2080Ti) at half the price point?

I'm guessing the two smartest options for me are to wait for OEM models to be revealed, released and reviewed or wait for big navi?(which is now under heat to match these price points it seems)

Thanks for your time! 🙂

Howdy and welcome :)

I think you mean $150-$1 more. 5700xt originally came out for $350, they rapidly went north of $400 and higher though.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I think you mean $150-$1 more. 5700xt originally came out for $350, they rapidly went north of $400 and higher though.  

I mean, when comparing the nitro+ it is one of the more expensive models.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

I mean, when comparing the nitro+ it is one of the more expensive models.

Ah.  There is that.  As a rule base model cards are a better value than the tricked out versions. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Tastyboi said:

Blows the 5700XT out of the water, yes. Beats the 2080Ti? Probably, but not by very much. Nvidia has a tendency to overstate their generational performance leaps a little bit. It's still shaping up to be an amazing card for the price, but don't expect it to completely wipe the floor with a 2080Ti. 

5 minutes ago, Tastyboi said:

Sounds good to me. Radeon is really gonna have to put up some serious numbers if they want to compete with that value. Having real competition in both the CPU and GPU markets certainly sounds like an exciting proposition, though.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Ahh, okay that makes sense. I only remember it as around $400-450 as i've been putting the build together. Still only would be $50 more from my perspective.

In my honest opinion, I think you can advance in October for the RTX 3070, I think the big navi would bring better cost benefit but with this price on the new RTX it will be difficult but I hope that a very big "Big Navi" will compete with 3070 at least but hopefully 3080

Thanks for the input guys! Feelin' better about waiting for these reveals before deciding.

I should have already sold my 1080 ti, but even so, I don’t even feel bad even if the cheapest sale, I’m still going to spend less money, than if I sell it more expensive and buy at prices that people were to speculate !!!

i only bought 5700xt 6mths ago.

2nd hand market is going to be busy.

I'll wait 6mnths for the dust to settle.

Let's also wait and see what real world performance is. They didn't exactly say WHAT the 3070 was faster than the 2080ti IN exactly. Could just be faster in ray tracing, or something stupid like that that that will make little to no difference in 90% of applications.

Just now, icase81 said:

Let's also wait and see what real world performance is. They didn't exactly say WHAT the 3070 was faster than the 2080ti IN exactly. Could just be faster in ray tracing, or something stupid like that that that will make little to no difference in 90% of applications.

Yes, I totally hear that. Graciously waitin' on that review CONTENT  from them tech tuber boys.

Exact, or it may even be the performance of DLSS 2.0 etc, I have yet to see the benchmarks for the real business

At least better prices we will have now how much more good will be

36 minutes ago, Tastyboi said:

there is no point referencing that $1200 2080ti, its over priced

there is always endless +$50 for a better stuff

Just now, dfsgsfa said:

there is no point referencing that $1200 2080ti, its over priced

there is always endless +$50 for a better stuff

yeah but for me, its a $500 price range that settled at $400-450 for the Nitro+ SE. If I get a huge performance leap for $50, I'm in.

Yes, the 3070 will more than likely beat the 5700 XT and by a fair margin too. I bought the same model (Nitro plus 5700 XT) that you were considering in January of this year - it is a nice card but not worth buying over the new 30 series cards. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

In other news a new generation of a type of hardware is more powerful than the old generation of that hardware.  Nvidia is launching their new hardware about a month ahead of AMD.  It’s an interesting choice.  They get a month to be the only new kid on the block, but AMD gets to take stock of their moves and possibly make adjustments.  Two ways to read this:

1) nvidia knows they have more game and AMD won’t be able to adjust for a superior position.

2) nvidia knows they have less game and is using the month to sell as many cards as they can before the big boys come out to play. 

43 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

In other news a new generation of a type of hardware is more powerful than the old generation of that hardware.  Nvidia is launching their new hardware about a month ahead of AMD.  It’s an interesting choice.  They get a month to be the only new kid on the block, but AMD gets to take stock of their moves and possibly make adjustments.  Two ways to read this:

1) nvidia knows they have more game and AMD won’t be able to adjust for a superior position.

2) nvidia knows they have less game and is using the month to sell as many cards as they can before the big boys come out to play. 

Definitely an interesting take. Will likely hold out a few more weeks than expected as I'm trying to finish the build around February. Time to grab the popcorn.

46 minutes ago, Tastyboi said:

Definitely an interesting take. Will likely hold out a few more weeks than expected as I'm trying to finish the build around February. Time to grab the popcorn.

There is a third that just occurred to me.  Nvidia thinks it has more game but isn’t sure so it’s trying to draw AMD out.  If this is the case we haven’t seen Nvidia’s hole card yet. 

biggest thing to wait for is non-rtx performance...  until we see that irl, I'd wait.

System 1:  AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI X570 MEG UNIFY | 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 | Nvidia RTX 3090 FE | custom loop (3x 360mm rads, Optimus Foundation AMD CPU Block, Bitspower BP-VG3090FE, Aquacompter D5 NEXT, Radikult O11D-XL UNO) | Seasonic GX-1000 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic XL (black & silver) | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 512GB Toshiba RD400 NVMe (OS) | 2x 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe in RAID 0 | 6.4TB ioMemory PCI-E storage | 55" LG C9 OLED

System 2:  AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X | MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC | 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4-3000 | AMD 5700 (flashed with 5700XT bios) | custom loop (1x 280mm rad, 1 x 120mm rad, Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+, Heatkiller IV for reference 5700, Aquacompter D5 NEXT, Alphacool dual-bay res w/ D5 mount) | Seasonic GX-850 | Silverstone FT-02 (red/black) | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 512GB Toshiba RD400 NVMe (OS) | 2x Seagate 4TB SSHD in RAID 1 via LSI 9265-8i | 55" LG C9 OLED

Laptop:  Dell XPS 2-in-1 | 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen | Intel Core i7-8705G | 16GB Memory | AMD Radeon RX Vega M | 256GB SSD | Windows 10 Pro x64

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

raytracing was a complete failure for consumers so they gotta come up with shit like this to justify the price... smh

Was being the operative word.  They’re claiming it’s better now.  How much better is unknown.  Whether it will be good for much this time around is also unknown.

Don't buy anything until AMD releases their new line. Then you can make a informed choice with all cards on the table.

Right now you're only able to compare last gen AMD with new Nvidia it's not a fair comparison

35 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Don't buy anything until AMD releases their new line. Then you can make a informed choice with all cards on the table.

Right now you're only able to compare last gen AMD with new Nvidia it's not a fair comparison

The numbers nVidia gave are theoretical numbers...and TFLOPS numbers.

Actual game performance? I'd wait for independent reviews...before making the final call.

Agree, compare new gen AMD vs new gen nVidia.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>