Help me pick a headphone!

shaunakde
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
18 minutes ago, shaunakde said:

I think the both of you have convinced me. I'm very motivated to go down the FiiO BRT3k + decent headphones route (and give up on ANC/ PXC 550-II). Do you have any suggestions for a good headphone set to pair with the BRT3k ? I'm currently thinking of the HD 280 PRO or the Sony MDR7506. 

Unless of-course the PXC 550-II is absolutely amazing in terms of ANC and audio performance, and will hands down be better then [BRT3k + some headphone for under $100] setup. 

takstar pro 82, status audio cb1, Creative aurvana live! are some of my favorite headphones under a $100 but I find the BTR line pairs best with IIEMS and IEMS are generally better for passive noise Isolation I can name a few that I'm pretty into if your interested in IEMS. 

I was looking to replace my ageing cheap Sony MDRZX110NC with something a bit better. I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound. I had a Bose QC25 at work - which I liked (but wasn't blown away with, given the price). I mention this as a baseline of my preferences (if it helps al all). With phones, and now my Tab S6 dropping support for the 3.5mm jack, bluetooth is somewhat important to me (also for the convenience).

The "noise cancelling" on my current headphones are a bit of a joke, so I have never really had a true noise cancelling headset, and thus have no context for what to expect, and if I should go for one.

I was looking to spend something in the $100 to $150 price range, but can be flexible. The main routes I was looking to go was:

1. Get a Fiio BTR3K (bluetooth to 3.5mm device(?)) for about $70 and add a nice-ish headphone like the HD 280 PRO or HD 400S (or similar - undecided and would love suggestions) for another $100-ish. This stretches my budget a bit, but the headphones can be swapped out down the line if I want to try something new (probably, won't - but is an option). Plus the Bluetooth connection will be the latest codec with a high quality DAC. Also, this would allow multiple devices to be connected at once, which would be really nice to have. I alternate between my tablet and phone a lot.
  2. Get a nice Bluetooth headset like the HD 350BT or WH-CH710N (again, open to suggestions) for around $100. These will probably be more convenient and will work out of the box, but I can't be sure if any headphones in this price range allow multiple device connection. I know the newest sony does (WH-1000XM4), but that is MUCH more expensive.
  3. Just pony up $200 for a noise cancelling headphone like the PXC 550-II (yet again, open to suggestions). I have never had a noise cancelling headphone and dunno if its worth stretching the budget to get one.

My use case

I generally need the headphones for listening to music as I work (to focus), commute (when that is a thing again) and watching movies / listening to music. Focus and work and my commute are places where the ANC would help. I like listening to Jazz and Classical music primarily, and occasionally classic rock.

Personal opinion, ANC isn't needed (unless your flying (cause the air pressure)) because good closed back headphones usually have good enough passive noise cancelling.

I would also suggest going down the path of the FiiO BTR3, as you get more control of what headphones you can buy, and will usually work out cheaper (price to performance). I would recommend pairing with the Cooler Master MH751 ((yes ik they're a gaming headset, but get rid of the mic and they look like a normal pair of headphones) and are the best under $100 headphones)

Hot Mist (Main PC)

Case: NZXT H700 Black (Signed by LTT) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | Cooler: EKWB AIO CPU Cooler 360mm, with 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Gaming Motherboard | RAM: 2x G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF Gaming 24GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200i Platinum 1200W, CableMod PRO AXi Cable Kit Black/White | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG27UQ, 2x ASUS ROG PG27AQ | Peripherals: Razer Huntsman Elite (Red Switches), Razer Mamba Wireless, Elgato Stream Deck Mini | Audio: Sony MDR-M1ST, Audio Technica AT2020, Audio Technica BP40, Rode PSA1 Boom Arm, Topping D70 (Bluetooth) DAC, Drop x THX AAA 789 Amp, Rode RODECaster Pro Audio Interface, Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | PCIe: Elgato HD60 Pro | Webcams: Logitech C922, Logitech BRIO 4K | Other:  iPad 7th Gen 32GB

Self Loathing (Portable Gear)

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ (Exynos 990) | Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm (w/ Pink Strap) | Audio: Samsung Galaxy Buds+ (Black), FiiO BTR5 Bluetooth AMP/DAC | Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz), Razer Mamba Elite | Other: Spektrum Prospek-50 Arctic (Prescription)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Case: BLOODYRIPPA Luxury Watch Box 12 Grids | IEMs: Audio Technica ATH-CKR100iS, TINHiFi P1, FiiO FH7, Audio Technica ATH-E70, Shouer TapePioneer SE-CH9T (BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! Roselia Collaboration Model), Moondrop S8, Moondrop Starfield, Kinera Nanna, IKKO OH7, IKKO OH10

So Head? (Headphone Collection)

Hooks: 2x Razer Headset Stand, 1x Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | Headphones: Kingston Hyper X Cloud II, Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Sony MDR-CD900STBeyerdynamic TYGR 300 R, Sennheiser HD600Sennheiser HD6xx, Cooler Master MH751

Crossed out means they are too be purchased, on the way for delivery, or broken and planning to repair.

Spoiler

Nuf Repus (Arcade PC) (upcoming)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Wi-Fi Motherboard | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 1650 EX OC 4GB | PSU: Corsair RM550x Gold 550W | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Monitor: Viewsonic VX3276-2K | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Yellow Switches), Razer Deathadder Elite, 2x Dance mat EX PRO + The Handbar | Audio: 2x Klipsch R-610F Floorstanding Home Speaker, Behringer A800 AMP | Webcam:  Logitech C922

Sound Euphonium (Music Setup) (upcoming)

Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz) | Monitors: LG 24BL650C-B, 5x iPad 7th Gen 32GBInstruments: ESP Electric Guitar Random Star (Red), Yamaha APX600, ESP Electric Bass Viper (Pink), Roland RD-88, Pearl Export Double Bass 8-Piece Drum Set (Black Cherry Glitter), Neumann TLM 103Audio: 5x Sony MDR-CD900ST, speakers5x PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 Audio Interface, Golden Age Project PRE-73 MKIII | Webcams: 5x Logitech C922, 5x Logitech BRIO 4K

The FiiO BRT5 gets a whole hearted recommendation.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The FiiO BRT5 gets a whole hearted recommendation.

I have the BTR5, fat yes recommended, but if the BTR3 is cheaper and somebodies on a budget, they're a big yes too.

Hot Mist (Main PC)

Case: NZXT H700 Black (Signed by LTT) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | Cooler: EKWB AIO CPU Cooler 360mm, with 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Gaming Motherboard | RAM: 2x G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF Gaming 24GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200i Platinum 1200W, CableMod PRO AXi Cable Kit Black/White | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG27UQ, 2x ASUS ROG PG27AQ | Peripherals: Razer Huntsman Elite (Red Switches), Razer Mamba Wireless, Elgato Stream Deck Mini | Audio: Sony MDR-M1ST, Audio Technica AT2020, Audio Technica BP40, Rode PSA1 Boom Arm, Topping D70 (Bluetooth) DAC, Drop x THX AAA 789 Amp, Rode RODECaster Pro Audio Interface, Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | PCIe: Elgato HD60 Pro | Webcams: Logitech C922, Logitech BRIO 4K | Other:  iPad 7th Gen 32GB

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ (Exynos 990) | Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm (w/ Pink Strap) | Audio: Samsung Galaxy Buds+ (Black), FiiO BTR5 Bluetooth AMP/DAC | Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz), Razer Mamba Elite | Other: Spektrum Prospek-50 Arctic (Prescription)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Case: BLOODYRIPPA Luxury Watch Box 12 Grids | IEMs: Audio Technica ATH-CKR100iS, TINHiFi P1, FiiO FH7, Audio Technica ATH-E70, Shouer TapePioneer SE-CH9T (BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! Roselia Collaboration Model), Moondrop S8, Moondrop Starfield, Kinera Nanna, IKKO OH7, IKKO OH10

Hooks: 2x Razer Headset Stand, 1x Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | Headphones: Kingston Hyper X Cloud II, Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Sony MDR-CD900STBeyerdynamic TYGR 300 R, Sennheiser HD600Sennheiser HD6xx, Cooler Master MH751

Crossed out means they are too be purchased, on the way for delivery, or broken and planning to repair.

Spoiler

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Wi-Fi Motherboard | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 1650 EX OC 4GB | PSU: Corsair RM550x Gold 550W | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Monitor: Viewsonic VX3276-2K | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Yellow Switches), Razer Deathadder Elite, 2x Dance mat EX PRO + The Handbar | Audio: 2x Klipsch R-610F Floorstanding Home Speaker, Behringer A800 AMP | Webcam:  Logitech C922

Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz) | Monitors: LG 24BL650C-B, 5x iPad 7th Gen 32GBInstruments: ESP Electric Guitar Random Star (Red), Yamaha APX600, ESP Electric Bass Viper (Pink), Roland RD-88, Pearl Export Double Bass 8-Piece Drum Set (Black Cherry Glitter), Neumann TLM 103Audio: 5x Sony MDR-CD900ST, speakers5x PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 Audio Interface, Golden Age Project PRE-73 MKIII | Webcams: 5x Logitech C922, 5x Logitech BRIO 4K

I think the both of you have convinced me. I'm very motivated to go down the FiiO BRT3k + decent headphones route (and give up on ANC/ PXC 550-II). Do you have any suggestions for a good headphone set to pair with the BRT3k ? I'm currently thinking of the HD 280 PRO or the Sony MDR7506. 

Unless of-course the PXC 550-II is absolutely amazing in terms of ANC and audio performance, and will hands down be better then [BRT3k + some headphone for under $100] setup. 

18 minutes ago, shaunakde said:

takstar pro 82, status audio cb1, Creative aurvana live! are some of my favorite headphones under a $100 but I find the BTR line pairs best with IIEMS and IEMS are generally better for passive noise Isolation I can name a few that I'm pretty into if your interested in IEMS. 

I'm not opposed to IEMs. I wear glasses, so maybe IEMs are worth exploring. I have a AKG pair from my old S9 phone - not sure if they are good (haven't even opened them): I might explore them to start! Thanks for the headphone suggestions!

13 minutes ago, shaunakde said:

I'm not opposed to IEMs. I wear glasses, so maybe IEMs are worth exploring. I have a AKG pair from my old S9 phone - not sure if they are good (haven't even opened them)

Samsung/AKG are meh at best. Good for included buds, not good for money though. Moondrop Starfields are a pretty safe bet for $110 (Amazon). Do you know if you're after something more fun (V shaped) or neutral (flat) by any chance?

Do note, good IEMs wrap around behind the ear, unlike the cheaper mainstream brands, so your glasses may still be annoying (take this from somebody who wears glasses).

Hot Mist (Main PC)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, shaunakde said:

I'm not opposed to IEMs. I wear glasses, so maybe IEMs are worth exploring. I have a AKG pair from my old S9 phone - not sure if they are good (haven't even opened them): I might explore them to start! Thanks for the headphone suggestions!

moondrop starfields are pretty good if you want a nice neutral sound with good midrange. kz ZSX are pretty decent if you want something v shaped. tin t2 is a pretty safe all rounder but a pretty boring IEM, I listen to a lot of hip hop and because of the comfort they pring my current daily driver at work is the Guideray Gri 58 really fun bass while treble isnt sibilant mids are ok but not the focus I'm a little buit of a bass head so these are perfect for me while Im at work needing to get pumped up.

6 minutes ago, Alex Ushigome said:

Samsung/AKG are meh at best. Good for included buds, not good for money though. Moondrop Starfields are a pretty safe bet for $110 (Amazon). Do you know if you're after something more fun (V shaped) or neutral (flat) by any chance?

Do note, good IEMs wrap around behind the ear, unlike the cheaper mainstream brands, so your glasses may still be annoying (take this from somebody who wears glasses).

Im acvtually a biig fan of the ones that come with the samsung phones good fit decent sound decent seal

28 minutes ago, Alex Ushigome said:

I am not sure which one of the two I would prefer. I did a quick test with the eq on my phone, and for a lot of the piano music I listen to, I definitely prefer a more flat curve, but I am definitely game to experiment. I didn't hate the V-shape curve. Just think I'm not used to it!

56 minutes ago, shaunakde said:

I am not sure which one of the two I would prefer. I did a quick test with the eq on my phone, and for a lot of the piano music I listen to, I definitely prefer a more flat curve, but I am definitely game to experiment. I didn't hate the V-shape curve. Just think I'm not used to it!

Piano is a hard instrument to cover mainly cause it has thebiggest range in any instrument but if it's your main kind of music. knowing the "piano music" I tend to listen to. Typically regina spektor. I love listening ot her on a pair f moondrop starfields. awesome mids , good bass extension, controlled treble fairly neutral pleasant IEM to listen to. 

10 hours ago, rice guru said:

Piano is a hard instrument to cover mainly cause it has thebiggest range in any instrument but if it's your main kind of music. knowing the "piano music" I tend to listen to. Typically regina spektor. I love listening ot her on a pair f moondrop starfields. awesome mids , good bass extension, controlled treble fairly neutral pleasant IEM to listen to. 

I do listen to Regina Spector as well! Most of my playlist if full of ragtime classics (think the entertainer) and insturmentals!

6 hours ago, shaunakde said:

I do listen to Regina Spector as well! Most of my playlist if full of ragtime classics (think the entertainer) and insturmentals!

Then the starfield should be great. Headphone wise I think the akg k361 would be a good direction as well as it has a nice amount of sparkle up top has less bass than the 371 but some would agree has better treble and the vocal performance is pretty nice as well

I went with the Moondrop Starfields (along with a used BRT1k for almost nothing!) and this is one of my favourite albums, which was a joy to hear on these!