What graphics card to get around the 400 to sub 400$ price point for 1440p?

TheZmajCap

So I was looking at ether the 5700xt or the 2060 super for a friend of mine. He really seems to want a 5700 xt but I know they have had some rather aggressive thermal issues in the past. If we did stick with the 5700xt for his build(I will be building it for them) which 5700 xt in the price point I listed is the best? I was looking at the XFX Triple Dissipation as it seems to be an extremely good value and is an incredibly new release. Can anyone give me other recommendations or tell me if the XFX card is not that great for cooling? 

for me 5700 xt / rtx doesnt make sense now. A 1070 / rx 590 , does the job well today for 200/250 us dlrs.depends of the country.

or wait for 3000 rtx series nv card very soon for more price drops.

8 minutes ago, TheZmajCap said:

So I was looking at ether the 5700xt or the 2060 super for a friend of mine. He really seems to want a 5700 xt but I know they have had some rather aggressive thermal issues in the past. If we did stick with the 5700xt for his build(I will be building it for them) which 5700 xt in the price point I listed is the best? I was looking at the XFX Triple Dissipation as it seems to be an extremely good value and is an incredibly new release. Can anyone give me other recommendations or tell me if the XFX card is not that great for cooling? 

for me 5700 xt / rtx doesnt make sense now. A 1070 / rx 590 , does the job well today for 200/250 us dlrs.depends of the country.

or wait for 3000 rtx series nv card very soon for more price drops

11 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

for me 5700 xt / rtx doesnt make sense now. A 1070 / rx 590 , does the job well today for 200/250 us dlrs.depends of the country.

or wait for 3000 rtx series nv card very soon for more price drops

imho you make little sense here and not 5700xt/2060 super. Waiting for new gpu's makes sense, buying  1070 / rx 590 does not.

25 minutes ago, TheZmajCap said:

If he can, wait, there's no harm in it.

If not, 5700XT is a great pick. A model like the Sapphire Pulse or Gigabyte gaming oc will have no issues with cooling, and both come in around the $400 MSRP.

I would only consider the 2060S for streaming, and if streaming is not a priority, then it's an easy win for the 5700XT

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

1070 and 590 are not the best option for 1440p. I would only suggest getting them if budget is tight, and only for about $200- which is half the budget of the OP.

The 5700XT will vastly out perform both options

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

18 minutes ago, marmour said:

I would only consider the 2060S for streaming, and if streaming is not a priority, then it's an easy win for the 5700XT

Also will ad that nVidia is better for cuda-accelerated applications, and the Adobe suite.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:21 AM, TheZmajCap said:

you should buy the 3070...

I'd wait for the new Nvidia cards.

If you need something now, the Sapphire Pulse 5700xt is great. My wife and I both have one. I'm very happy with the choice of aftermarket 5700xt I made.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:46 PM, muito_gostoso said:

you should buy the 3070...

Yeahhh once the announcement was made there was no way we would get anything else lol.