Should I buy an 850 watt power supply for the new 12 pin connector from Nvidia relating to the Ampere graphics cards?

1 minute ago, Ankerson said:

I stay with the FTW3's myself..... :)

I like EVGA for their customer service.  I have been buying their products since the gtx 760.

I just bought an 850w PSU in preparation for a 3080.

My current PSU ( 650w Rosewill Capstone) was more than enough for my PC when I built it 8+ years ago but after a series of upgrades and overclocks, several PSU calculators are saying my PC is getting close to hitting the capacity of my PSU.

I figured it would be best to invest in a new (overpowered?) PSU rather than gamble on an old, barely sufficient at best, underpowered at worst, PSU.

I think Seasonic was being cautious and super conservative. My system as designed and measured, with a 3700x (65 watt TDP) with a GTX 1080 (180 watt TDP) with a quality 600 watt PSU. It only pulls a max around 300 watts when I've tried to push it on games (I haven't tried blender of course, but that's not something I typically do), with something like Fallout 76 and Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm fairly confident that I would be able to push a 3090 at a 350 tdp with some headroom if I really wanted to, if I could actually fit it in my small case.

16 hours ago, Snadzies said:

I just bought an 850w PSU in preparation for a 3080.

My current PSU ( 650w Rosewill Capstone) was more than enough for my PC when I built it 8+ years ago but after a series of upgrades and overclocks, several PSU calculators are saying my PC is getting close to hitting the capacity of my PSU.

I figured it would be best to invest in a new (overpowered?) PSU rather than gamble on an old, barely sufficient at best, underpowered at worst, PSU.

I've yet to see any PSU calculator make any sense.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:29 PM, Daniel1 said:

I can wait a bit longer if companies are going to release power supplies that have the 12 pin connector integrated.

No power supply is EVER going to come with a 12-pin.  At least not until it's added to the PCI-SIG specification.  Maybe for PCIe 5.0?

Most (if not all) high end PSUs are fully modular.  Which means you would just buy an additional cable with a 12-pin that plugs directly into the PSU if you don't want to use the adapter.

This is much ado about nothing.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No power supply is EVER going to come with a 12-pin.  At least not until it's added to the PCI-SIG specification.  Maybe for PCIe 5.0?

Most (if not all) high end PSUs are fully modular.  Which means you would just buy an additional cable with a 12-pin that plugs directly into the PSU if you don't want to use the adapter.

This is much ado about nothing.

Would be a rather big change really I would think since the PSU would have to have both the 8 Pin and the NEW 12 pin connections.... Sounds stupid to me.... Real-estate is getting pretty thin already on the PSUs NOW, especially the high wattage models.

Doubt it will really become anything as I saw something that the partner cards will likely use the 8 pins anyway... And if they needed more power then they could just add another 8 Pin for 3x 8 pin... Shouldn't be a big deal if people actually have PSUs that can take that kind of load of the 3x 8 Pin....

All the big whatever about 400W, hell the high end 2080Ti's already pull almost that much now within 20W and the 2080Ti Kingpin pulled well over 400W so....

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.