Windows 10 update could be damaging your SSD

Edward78

I thught a SSD didn't need defragging (& windows sensed it was a SSD at install, so it was turned off)

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-update-could-be-damaging-your-ssd

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

defragging/optimization is important for all drives, with this bug in build 2004 users should probably turn off drive optimization until its fixed

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

@Edward78 - you're right, don't need and you should not even try, but this is not about defragmenting, it's about drive optimization (if your drive is SSD, you'll see option "Optimize" in properties). I don't really think that "too much optimization" can be an issue, since it's basically sending TRIM command to the drive. If drive not need to be trimmed, you can send trim request as many times as you want and nothing happens.

I think someone is unnecessarily frightening by that article. There is a bug probably that can send optimize command too many times, but that doesn't mean it hurts your drive and decreases lifespan. You can refresh this page 30 times per minute for 4 days and your processor lifefspan will be shorten by 0.00001% probably. :)

None issue. Already fixed by Microsoft on Insiders builds a while back. It is just low priority for MS to release the update.

I don't know why people keep pushing the, now myth, that SSD will degrade... yes it was true to some extent back in like 2008-09... (with a plan to keep the SSD in tip top shape after 12 years+). Those were SATA-II SSDs. And yes there were concerns with TLC based SSDs being unproven and, at the time, new (and some reported cases turned of wear, turned out to just a controller issue, affecting only Samsung drives, which was fixed via firmware upgrade). But that has been proven to be indeed reliable for great majority of people, and still standing strong, even those early drives. 

SSD are really durable. Maybe a TLC drive won't survive long in a server application being trashed with writes none stops, 24/7, for years, but that is not the case in reality. Defragging daily your system, won't even come close to the mentioned wear. 

And yes, as mentioned, SSDs do need defragging. O&O Defrag has a special defrag mode for SSDs. I suspect other defrag tools will join.

Granted, the need to defrag an SSD is greatly reduced over an HDD, and its impact is minimal at best. But still not useless.

@GoodBytes: I agree with most, but small correction:

1. Samsung (EVO 840) is still good drive, however the company never fixed that issue. First they made a fix that was supposed to work, but they diagnose problem wrong. Then they release second fix that was in fact workaround - drive itself rewrites old data from one place to another. And that was the end of fixing EVO 840. I have one drive from this serie and works great, but still - problem appears to be hardware, not software. I observed the same behaviour in case GoodRam CX400 serie, but that drives are not as popular as Samsung, so nobody cares.

2. I read some tests on internet that compares SSD defrag softwares. There was no difference in most cases or difference too small that it might as well be a measurement error. Of course programs have defrag SSD options, but other programs have optimize registry options as well and we all know how "useful" they are in 99% cases. It's more like marketing decoy that real thing IMO.

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

2. I read some tests on internet that compares SSD defrag softwares. There was no difference in most cases or difference too small that it might as well be a measurement error. Of course programs have defrag SSD options, but other programs have optimize registry options as well and we all know how "useful" they are in 99% cases. It's more like marketing decoy that real thing IMO.

Well like I said, it is minimal at best. So I guess those with EVO 840 with this Windows defrag issue, is now getting a performance boost as most of their data is being re-written XD

37 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well like I said, it is minimal at best. So I guess those with EVO 840 with this Windows defrag issue, is now getting a performance boost as most of their data is being re-written XD

I would want that when I diagnose problem with GoodRam. Unfortunately, defrag (standard) only rewrite fragmented data (not old) and optimize just send trim command and care about empty cells. So when I wanted to be sure GoodRam has the same problem as Samsung EVO840, I just image whole drive and restore it after format. System speeds up a lot! But only for about two months. :( So I recommend different drive and the same system after clone works without slow down for more than year now.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

I would want that when I diagnose problem with GoodRam. Unfortunately, defrag (standard) only rewrite fragmented data (not old) and optimize just send trim command and care about empty cells. So when I wanted to be sure GoodRam has the same problem as Samsung EVO840, I just image whole drive and restore it after format. System speeds up a lot! But only for about two months. :( So I recommend different drive and the same system after clone works without slow down for more than year now.

True