I've installed as many Noctua fans as my case can support. Can I forgo a CPU fan?

Tacticuddler

I've installed 5 X [Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (120mm)] fans in a Cooler Master R600 Silencio case (I removed the stock fans). 2 in the front as intakes and 3 in the back and top as exhaust.

The CPU fan currently installed makes lots of noise. Could I remove it and hope that the Noctuas can handle the heat?

-

Competitive Spooner and Pro Snuggler 🙆‍♀️

Just now, Tacticuddler said:

I've installed 5 X [Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (120mm)] fans in a Cooler Master R600 Silencio case (I removed the stock fans). 2 in the front as intakes and 3 in the back and top as exhaust.

The CPU fan currently installed makes lots of noise. Could I remove it and hope that the Noctuas can handle the heat?

Or just replace the CPU can with a Noctua one. Doesn't hurt to add another one. 😉

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I mean you can try, I'd stress test it with your finger on the off switch to make sure it can handle it. also you can put one of your case fans in for the CPU fan, even if the pins don't match in number that just means you lost PWM, which is definitely suggested you don't go without, but you can if you want and with better results than lots of case airflow with no fan.

buddy of mine tested this with a stock TR 1920x under a noctua u14s, no fans on it but 5 140mm nf-a14s in the case. didnt really have issues but he also didnt run heavy workloads on it. plus the u14s is a big heatsink, if youve got a little hyper 212 this may not be a good plan lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

It really depends on the case layout and heatsink. Servers are often made like this, but many have plastic shrouds to direct the airflow. 

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

It really depends on the case layout and heatsink. Servers are often made like this, but many have plastic shrouds to direct the airflow. 

Aside from the shroud and the GPU at the bottom the case is pretty open. 2 front fans push directly into the three back/top fans with little obstruction in a diagonal.

I'm asking because my 212 EVO cpu cooler mounting bracket is toast and I've blown my budget on the noctua fans so I can't afford to replace it in the near future.

-

Competitive Spooner and Pro Snuggler 🙆‍♀️

On 8/27/2020 at 7:22 PM, Tacticuddler said:

Aside from the shroud and the GPU at the bottom the case is pretty open. 2 front fans push directly into the three back/top fans with little obstruction in a diagonal.

I'm asking because my 212 EVO cpu cooler mounting bracket is toast and I've blown my budget on the noctua fans so I can't afford to replace it in the near future.

You will need big-ish heatsink to be able to passively cool CPU. I'm also rather sure that single heatsink fan will be better than 2x case fans for CPU cooling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv