Any good recommendations for a All-in-one PC (for a 72 yo)?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
47 minutes ago, Kamunkin said:

Do you have an exemple of the build you're suggesting?

This type of mini PC works great

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini A300 Series/

At first, I was planning to build my father a new computer, but I have experience only with gaming computers and, as silly as it seems, I feel a bit lost with all the choices for a lower-end PC. I'm not sure what's enough and what's overkill for his needs.

He currently own an old laptop. Therefore he also needs to buy a keyboard, monitor and speakers. He also plan to put his desk in the middle of his living room. It's gonna do quite a bit of cables. That's when I thought about an all-in-one PCs but this is a market I'm really not familiar with.

Is there an recommendations I should look for?

I'd like him to have at least a 27" monitor because he has problems with his sight. He has a budget of 1300$ with taxes top. That should be good for 5 years isn't?

4 minutes ago, Kamunkin said:

That should be good for 5 years isn't?

pc or your father

just get a laptop and a monitor as he used to

Honestly lots of people will dislike this but an IMAC will be a great choice or also an IPAD.

I say this because as my own grandmother got older we needed a device that just worked and has done so for 8 years. we never had to give her any support on the device and she learned it from a windows laptop which is also impressive.

it does not have to be new either they still work pretty well even the older ones.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

8 minutes ago, Kamunkin said:

He has a budget of 1300$ with taxes top. That should be good for 5 years isn't?

That's a really overkill budget, so why not surprise him with a very capable mini PC that does all he needs and more.

An ASRock deskmini can get the job done with a nice fast Ryzen CPU, and a large SSD is basically the make or break for a simple use machine. Then just consider a wireless mouse/keyboard to clean up cable clutter.

Is this PC just for basic web browsing?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Kamunkin said:

I'm not sure what's enough and what's overkill for his needs.

What does he use his computer for ?

HP have a large range of all in one pcs including big 27 inch screen ones.

Not sure the price of it, but hp recently made a very nice all in one with bang & olufsen speakers, built in amazon Alexa, and I believe a wireless charger. I know the fully upgraded ones are over 3k but maybe they have a lower spec or used one in budget.

What is sales tax where you are and what will it be used for?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

16 hours ago, Acid Panda said:

Honestly lots of people will dislike this but an IMAC will be a great choice or also an IPAD.

I say this because as my own grandmother got older we needed a device that just worked and has done so for 8 years. we never had to give her any support on the device and she learned it from a windows laptop which is also impressive.

it does not have to be new either they still work pretty well even the older ones.

He has an iPad and hates it. I really try to make him love it, but in vain. 

16 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

That's a really overkill budget, so why not surprise him with a very capable mini PC that does all he needs and more.

An ASRock deskmini can get the job done with a nice fast Ryzen CPU, and a large SSD is basically the make or break for a simple use machine. Then just consider a wireless mouse/keyboard to clean up cable clutter.

Is this PC just for basic web browsing?

That's exactly what I planned at first. As I was planning to make him a PC build and find him great quality peripherals to go along, I thought it would be the perfect budget. I really want him to have a nice monitor with a sharp display and at least 27". I also missed to tell that I'm in Canada and electronics costs twice as much as in the USA.

Do you have an exemple of the build you're suggesting? I wanted to make him a mini ITX PC, but I find there is not much mini ITX case for sale in Canada... The form factor is really important. You're totally right for wireless keyboard, its already planned. :)

Yes, mainly and watching videos. I just want the build to be future proof as long as possible. 

16 hours ago, j.son19 said:

What does he use his computer for ?

HP have a large range of all in one pcs including big 27 inch screen ones.

Mainly browsing.
How is HP quality nowadays? I heard that HP isn't offering good quality products and have high prices. Not sure where I heard that tho. I beg to differ.

16 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

Not sure the price of it, but hp recently made a very nice all in one with bang & olufsen speakers, built in amazon Alexa, and I believe a wireless charger. I know the fully upgraded ones are over 3k but maybe they have a lower spec or used one in budget.

What is sales tax where you are and what will it be used for?

I'll certainly look over your suggestion.
Sorry, forgot to tell. I'm from Québec, Canada. Mainly browsing and watching videos. I just want the build to be future proof as long as possible. 

47 minutes ago, Kamunkin said:

Do you have an exemple of the build you're suggesting?

This type of mini PC works great

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini A300 Series/

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

• 10 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, Fasauceome said:

Sorry this post a bit old now, but I wanted to thank you for the idea! I actually bought that and made a great little PC for him. Even tried gaming on it and it works like a charm. Great price, great little machine. Thanks a lot! 🙂