PC decided not to turn ON - MOBO Light's ON

Oddvar Ashborn

Hello there guys,

today i went and started my PC, aaaaaaand... it won't. Meaning it won't turn ON, the power button does nothing.

It's worth mentioning tho that, as in the title, the ROG logo on the MOBO is ON.

It was working fine yesterday, and as i always do i let it shutdown using a "countdown software".

I've tried unplugging the PSU, wait a minute, and then plugging it back in. - Nothing

I've tried holding the Power button down for like 30 secs while the PSU was unplugged. - Nothing

I've unplugged every external device from both the front and rear I/O panel, only thing plugged in is the PSU. - Nothing

All my specs are at the bottom.

I have no idea what might be. Thank you in advance for any help!

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

when your motherboard comes on, do the case fans, AIO fans, AIO pump, GPU fans, or power led come on at all? 

I know you said you reseated all the plugs on the computer but did you check the monitor in case its just a display issue?

you can also try clearing your cmos

If your concerned about software then unplug the hard drive to see if it will at least post.

1 minute ago, CWALD said:

when your motherboard comes on, do the case fans, AIO fans, AIO pump, GPU fans, or power led come on at all? 

I know you said you reseated all the plugs on the computer but did you check the monitor in case its just a display issue?

you can also try clearing your cmos

If your concerned about software then unplug the hard drive to see if it will at least post.

Well no the fans don't come on cause the PC won't turn on. Unline the fans, pump, etc, the mobo light turns on by simply connecting the PSU.

The display is fine, and i don't think a software could prevent the PC from powering on, can it?

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

36 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Hello there guys,

today i went and started my PC, aaaaaaand... it won't. Meaning it won't turn ON, the power button does nothing.

It's worth mentioning tho that, as in the title, the ROG logo on the MOBO is ON.

It was working fine yesterday, and as i always do i let it shutdown using a "countdown software".

I've tried unplugging the PSU, wait a minute, and then plugging it back in. - Nothing

I've tried holding the Power button down for like 30 secs while the PSU was unplugged. - Nothing

I've unplugged every external device from both the front and rear I/O panel, only thing plugged in is the PSU. - Nothing

All my specs are at the bottom.

I have no idea what might be. Thank you in advance for any help!

A few things to try:

• Clear motherboard CMOS
  • Remove GPU and try booting with integrated graphics if possible. If you don't have integrated graphics, see if the PC will at least show signs of booting without a GPU (fans spinning, etc), even if you don't have any video out
  • Try reseating your RAM or booting with a single stick of RAM inserted

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

7 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Well no the fans don't come on cause the PC won't turn on. Unline the fans, pump, etc, the mobo light turns on by simply connecting the PSU.

The display is fine, and i don't think a software could prevent the PC from powering on, can it?

normally I would say that software can't affect the computer turning on but windows has a way of interacting with the bios that I don't fully understand, there are ways to schedule a PC to turn on and you mentioned you were using scheduled shutdowns. I would still say the software is a long shot though and would start with the other trouble shooting steps @WaggishOhio383 and myself have suggested. 

Good luck!

39 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

A few things to try:

• Clear motherboard CMOS
  • Remove GPU and try booting with integrated graphics if possible. If you don't have integrated graphics, see if the PC will at least show signs of booting without a GPU (fans spinning, etc), even if you don't have any video out

Removed all the RAM sticks, leaving just one inside in the first slot, and tried booting. - Nothing

Tried to do the same thing with all the other sticks (one by one), in the first slot at first, then tried different slots as well. - Nothing

Moving on to the other points.

1 hour ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

A few things to try:

• Clear motherboard CMOS

Removed the GPU. - Nothing

23 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Removed all the RAM sticks, leaving just one inside in the first slot, and tried booting. - Nothing

Tried to do the same thing with all the other sticks (one by one), in the first slot at first, then tried different slots as well. - Nothing

Moving on to the other points.

2 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Removed the GPU. - Nothing

Clearing CMOS is probably going to be your best bet. I just put those other options as a backup in case that doesn't work. If clearing CMOS doesn't fix it at this point, go ahead and try booting without a hard drive plugged in as @CWALD suggested.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Clearing CMOS is probably going to be your best bet. I just put those other options as a backup in case that doesn't work. If clearing CMOS doesn't fix it at this point, go ahead and try booting without a hard drive plugged in as @CWALD suggested.

I'll try that now.

You know, i've had a similar problem like a month ago, where my PC suddenly turned off and wouldn't turn back on. After half an hour of panic and analysis, i've noticed something strange laying on the PSU shroud... The EVGA plate detached from the GPU and fell there (and that's probably when he shut off). I just picked it up, and it turned back on.

So i've also looked for something making contact with the PSU and stuff, but couldn't find anything...

I'll keep you posted.

31 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

I'll try that now.

You know, i've had a similar problem like a month ago, where my PC suddenly turned off and wouldn't turn back on. After half an hour of panic and analysis, i've noticed something strange laying on the PSU shroud... The EVGA plate detached from the GPU and fell there (and that's probably when he shut off). I just picked it up, and it turned back on.

So i've also looked for something making contact with the PSU and stuff, but couldn't find anything...

I'll keep you posted.

If you've had problems with your PSU in the past it might be worth trying to swap it out if you have one available. It can be hard to troubleshoot without a spare if it is your issue.

1 minute ago, CWALD said:

If you've had problems with your PSU in the past it might be worth trying to swap it out if you have one available. It can be hard to troubleshoot without a spare if it is your issue.

I don't know if i would consider that a problem, i mean it's like the PSU detected a metal component that could harm the system and shut itself down in order to prevent damage (short-circuit and such i suppose), and wouldn't turn back on until i removed the aforementioned metal component. After that episode i've used my PC everyday without the slightest problem for like a month, gaming and so on. So i'm not sure.

11 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

I don't know if i would consider that a problem, i mean it's like the PSU detected a metal component that could harm the system and shut itself down in order to prevent damage (short-circuit and such i suppose), and wouldn't turn back on until i removed the aforementioned metal component. After that episode i've used my PC everyday without the slightest problem for like a month, gaming and so on. So i'm not sure.

Yea, try resetting your cmos first and maybe try reseating all of your PSU connections. After that I would guess that something is wrong with your hardware. Most likely PSU, MOBO, or CPU.

Good luck!

@CWALD @WaggishOhio383 Cleared the CMOS (removed the battery for like an hour), tried to short-circuit the power pins in case the fron I/O button was not working, unplugged all the SATA ports, removed the NVMe SSD (all this with the GPU still removed) - Nothing.

Now i'm getting really desperate.

1 hour ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

@CWALD @WaggishOhio383 Cleared the CMOS (removed the battery for like an hour), tried to short-circuit the power pins in case the fron I/O button was not working, unplugged all the SATA ports, removed the NVMe SSD (all this with the GPU still removed) - Nothing.

try unplugging and re-plugging in all of the connectors from your power supply, including the ones plugging into the PSU itself if its modular. 

22 hours ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Just got this idea from another post on the forum that I saw. I don't know how I didn't think of this before. You could try replacing the CMOS battery (CR2032). If the CMOS battery dies it can cause the PC to not boot like this.

Credit goes to @Applefreak for reminding me of this idea. Found it in this recent post, and realized it might be applicable to your situation as well: 

I was aware that this is a thing that can happen before seeing that post, but completely forgot to recommend trying it in your situation.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

@CWALD @WaggishOhio383 Thank you both very much for your support and assistance. Just wanted to give you an update on the current developments. Since it looked like we had exhausted almost every possibility, i tried plugging in a different PSU, and... it worked. So the only logical thing was to buy a new one, and i got a HX1000i today. Plugged it in, and it worked (had to say goodbye to my custom sleeved cables ._.). Just had a little problem on the first start when he told me "CPU Over Voltage Error", but it apparentely fixed itself by restarting. I have then re-enabled XMP and i'm still monitoring the VCore via software cause... well, you never know.

Still no idea how my PSU was fine in the evening and dead (?) in the morning tho, i'll try to reach out to Enermax if they can do something about it, if not i'll still bring it to someone who can properly test it.

Anyway it seems all is running properly now, so thank you very much guys, much appreciated, wish you the best.

P.S. @WaggishOhio383 I though about it but it would've been weird since the MOBO is less than a year old. But thanks for thinking about it!