CPU heating up to 99 C

PCRevolt

Keep in mind throughout this thing that im not super knowledgeable when it comes to hardware.  I built my current computer with help from a friend who is much more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am.

I recently shipped my computer across the country.  I drove it myself.  I thought I had padded it in the box pretty well, it was flat on its back, and the graphics card was aligned in the car's direction.  Now that I've arrived, I turn it on, and the fans are on overdrive, and after I type my login information, and get the little loading icon, it shuts off abruptly.  After that I restart it and the boot screen tells me "CPU Over Temperature" and when I go to see more options, it tells me the CPU is currently hovering around 99-100 degrees Celsius.  This time when I boot the screen has this weird split down the very middle at the login screen.  It abruptly shuts down mid login again.  I have a corsair aio 280mm liquid cooler.  The part that attaches to the CPU was still secure when I checked.  So is everything else.  So I guess my question is, how do i know what's causing the problem?  The CPU, the cooler, or both? 

I'd rather not go out and buy a replacement part until I know definitively what needs to be replaced.  Or if i can somehow just fix it.  Could the CPU being damaged somehow cause it to reach those temperatures even with proper cooling?  Should a CPU under normal circumstances be able to reach those temps with no cooling?  Also im worried i may have caused damage by even letting it reach those temps when testing.

20200819_195835.jpg

9 minutes ago, PCRevolt said:

Keep in mind throughout this thing that im not super knowledgeable when it comes to hardware.  I built my current computer with help from a friend who is much more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am.

I recently shipped my computer across the country.  I drove it myself.  I thought I had padded it in the box pretty well, it was flat on its back, and the graphics card was aligned in the car's direction.  Now that I've arrived, I turn it on, and the fans are on overdrive, and after I type my login information, and get the little loading icon, it shuts off abruptly.  After that I restart it and the boot screen tells me "CPU Over Temperature" and when I go to see more options, it tells me the CPU is currently hovering around 99-100 degrees Celsius.  This time when I boot the screen has this weird split down the very middle at the login screen.  It abruptly shuts down mid login again.  I have a corsair aio 280mm liquid cooler.  The part that attaches to the CPU was still secure when I checked.  So is everything else.  So I guess my question is, how do i know what's causing the problem?  The CPU, the cooler, or both? 

I'd rather not go out and buy a replacement part until I know definitively what needs to be replaced.  Or if i can somehow just fix it.  Could the CPU being damaged somehow cause it to reach those temperatures even with proper cooling?  Should a CPU under normal circumstances be able to reach those temps with no cooling?  Also im worried i may have caused damage by even letting it reach those temps when testing.

It wont hurt itself, it'll shut itself down before that happens.

I would take the waterblock off and remount it, its possible its not quite flat. Besides that, make sure the pump is running. If the pump is not running, thats 100% the problem, and if the liquid in the loop started to boil its possible the pump has been damage, if so itll likely sound a little weird... Those are the two places to start.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

It wont hurt itself, it'll shut itself down before that happens.

I would take the waterblock off and remount it, its possible its not quite flat. Besides that, make sure the pump is running. If the pump is not running, thats 100% the problem, and if the liquid in the loop started to boil its possible the pump has been damage, if so itll likely sound a little weird... Those are the two places to start.

How do i make sure the pump is running

1 minute ago, PCRevolt said:

sure the pump is running

you touch it

7 minutes ago, PCRevolt said:

How do i make sure the pump is running

Is it for sure plugged in? Does it use SATA power, Molex power? Is it for sure plugged into one of those, and that PSU cable for sure plugged into the PSU?

If all of that is yes, its likely running. But you should be able to touch it and feel it vibrating a little bit... Pumps die very infrequently, its more likely its just not plugged in...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Make sure your pump is plugged in and working, you should be able to feel/hear some vibrations from the pump if it's working properly. If it's plugged in and you don't feel/hear anything then it could be damaged.

If the pump seems fine, next you should check that your cooler is still mounted to the CPU properly, perhaps try remounting it regardless just to be 100% sure. Also, have a look at all your fans and make sure they're all actually doing something while you're in there.

28 minutes ago, Gediren said:

Make sure your pump is plugged in and working, you should be able to feel/hear some vibrations from the pump if it's working properly. If it's plugged in and you don't feel/hear anything then it could be damaged.

If the pump seems fine, next you should check that your cooler is still mounted to the CPU properly, perhaps try remounting it regardless just to be 100% sure. Also, have a look at all your fans and make sure they're all actually doing something while you're in there.

The pump (if that's the part attached to the cpu) feels like it's vibrating, as do the tubes connected to it.  The mount seemed secure but im gonna go out and get some thermal paste to reapply and remount.  Could it being improperly mounted, even if some part if it is still in contact with the cpu, cause it to reach those temps?  Because it feels like the pump is working and it felt mounted properly.

3 minutes ago, PCRevolt said:

The pump (if that's the part attached to the cpu) feels like it's vibrating, as do the tubes connected to it.  The mount seemed secure but im gonna go out and get some thermal paste to reapply and remount.  Could it being improperly mounted, even if some part if it is still in contact with the cpu, cause it to reach those temps?  Because it feels like the pump is working and it felt mounted properly.

Generally the mount would have to be pretty bad to reach 100c while booting, but it's possible I suppose. What hardware are you running, and is any of it overclocked?

2 hours ago, Gediren said:

Generally the mount would have to be pretty bad to reach 100c while booting, but it's possible I suppose. What hardware are you running, and is any of it overclocked?

None of it is overclocked.  Ok so I went out and bought some new thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol to wipe off the old thermal paste, i reapplied it, remounted the pump, and now it seems to be working.  It's hovering under normal load (with very few applications open, just what opens at startup) around 55 C.  Is that normal?

25 minutes ago, PCRevolt said:

None of it is overclocked.  Ok so I went out and bought some new thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol to wipe off the old thermal paste, i reapplied it, remounted the pump, and now it seems to be working.  It's hovering under normal load (with very few applications open, just what opens at startup) around 55 C.  Is that normal?

That sounds a more reasonable. I wonder if your pump came loose during shipping, and now you've got fresh paste and a good mount.

I would fire HWMonitor and run a game or some benchmarks, just to check that everything is stable and your chip isn't going to melt.

15 minutes ago, Gediren said:

That sounds a more reasonable. I wonder if your pump came loose during shipping, and now you've got fresh paste and a good mount.

I would fire HWMonitor and run a game or some benchmarks, just to check that everything is stable and your chip isn't going to melt.

Running doom eternal on highest settings i seem to be getting between 52 and 62 C.  55 C still seems a little high for idle with few things open.  Even something as simple as opening steam caused it to jump up to 67 C for a few moments.  Maybe I did the thermal paste wrong or mounted incorrectly?  What application method is best?  I did the dot in the center.  How tight do I need to screw the cooler in over the CPU?  Should I press it down on the CPU for a bit and spread it around before screwing it in or something?

Just now, PCRevolt said:

Running doom eternal on highest settings i seem to be getting between 52 and 62 C.  55 C still seems a little high for idle with few things open.  Even something as simple as opening steam caused it to jump up to 67 C for a few moments.  Maybe I did the thermal paste wrong or mounted incorrectly?  What application method is best?  I did the dot in the center.  How tight do I need to screw the cooler in over the CPU?  Should I press it down on the CPU for a bit and spread it around before screwing it in or something?

Those are perfectly fine load temps, most modern desktop CPUs are safe up to 100c (not that you want to hold them there for long...). My FX8350 (125w chip, decent air cooling) will sit at just a little over 50c running Doom Eternal as well, at 60% load (minimum settings because old GPU).

If 55c is immediately after booting up, that's not idle. After you boot your PC Windows still has all kinds of things it's doing in the background that could still be heating up your chip. If you want true idle temps you've gotta give it a few minutes to finish up and cool back down from the bootup process.

Also, I haven't used a Corsair cooler before, but most coolers that screw down control pressure with small springs on each corner of the mounting bracket. When the screws are tightened down all the way (just tighten so they're snug, do not force anything), the springs will apply an appropriate amount of pressure onto the CPU on their own. If it doesn't have springs, perhaps consult the manual. What is your CPU socket and cooler model? I will look up the bracket and see what I can find.

1 hour ago, PCRevolt said:

I get no higher than 36C on average at idle, so I don't consider 55C normal. What CPU and PC case do you have? Are you sure nothing is running in the background that would push it that high? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, Gediren said:

Those are perfectly fine load temps, most modern desktop CPUs are safe up to 100c (not that you want to hold them there for long...). My FX8350 (125w chip, decent air cooling) will sit at just a little over 50c running Doom Eternal as well, at 60% load (minimum settings because old GPU).

If 55c is immediately after booting up, that's not idle. After you boot your PC Windows still has all kinds of things it's doing in the background that could still be heating up your chip. If you want true idle temps you've gotta give it a few minutes to finish up and cool back down from the bootup process.

Also, I haven't used a Corsair cooler before, but most coolers that screw down control pressure with small springs on each corner of the mounting bracket. When the screws are tightened down all the way (just tighten so they're snug, do not force anything), the springs will apply an appropriate amount of pressure onto the CPU on their own. If it doesn't have springs, perhaps consult the manual. What is your CPU socket and cooler model? I will look up the bracket and see what I can find.

I'm using a corsair h115i rgp platinum

I remounted but used the X formation for the thermal paste this time and it's a tad better.  If i have discord running or something and just step away from the computer and do nothing itll drop down to around 43 C, with occasional random spikes to around 53 C.  Some weird things like starting a download in steam will cause me to reach temps of like 67 C, and with cinebench it spikes at 74 C.  Random things can cause it to spike up to loke 65 C if i have a lot of programs open at once.  If i stress test using prime95, the very max it seems to get to (i only ran it for a few minutes) is around 80 C but mostly stays around 57-61 C.  Are these acceptable temps?  Is it safe to leave it and forget about this?

6 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I get no higher than 36C on average at idle, so I don't consider 55C normal. What CPU and PC case do you have? Are you sure nothing is running in the background that would push it that high? 

I have a ryzen 9 3900x and the case is a fractal design meshify C

18 minutes ago, PCRevolt said:

I'm using a corsair h115i rgp platinum

I remounted but used the X formation for the thermal paste this time and it's a tad better.  If i have discord running or something and just step away from the computer and do nothing itll drop down to around 43 C, with occasional random spikes to around 53 C.  Some weird things like starting a download in steam will cause me to reach temps of like 67 C, and with cinebench it spikes at 74 C.  Random things can cause it to spike up to loke 65 C if i have a lot of programs open at once.  If i stress test using prime95, the very max it seems to get to (i only ran it for a few minutes) is around 80 C but mostly stays around 57-61 C.  Are these acceptable temps?  Is it safe to leave it and forget about this?

I think maybe the pump in your AIO might be damaged. If you have the stock cooler, or another air cooler, I would do some testing to see if the temps are any better with that. With that last message I agree with @BlackManINC, those idle temps are not normal for that chip. Idle should be ballpark 35c or lower with that cooler.

37 minutes ago, PCRevolt said:

I have a ryzen 9 3900x and the case is a fractal design meshify C

Yeah, according to others with that CPU, you shouldn't even be hitting 40C at idle. Its either the cooler, low quality thermal paste, or the PC case that's the problem. Your PC could even be infected with a type of botnet that uses your computer to mine for bitcoins. Its hard to detect, but you can try running a boot time scan using Windows Defender along with maybe Malwarebytes or something. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10