Streaming PC for online lectures on youtube

Budget (including currency): USD 600 or lower if possible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming 1080p videos on youtube from Canon XA11 camera

Other details: My mum works at a coaching institute and ever since lockdown they have been recording video lectures online on youtube. For this purpose, an old Dell laptop from 2012 was fine, but now they want to start streaming the lectures live so that students can interact and ask questions during the lecture. They already have a Canon XA11 camera that is being used to record videos, but the Dell laptop mentioned before is not powerful enough to stream live in high quality so they wish to build a PC that can capture the live feed and stream it to youtube. The youtube chat will also be open on the pc and some articles, videos etc that they can switch to if they want to demonstrate something.

Goal is to build the cheapest pc that can accomplish this goal and will keep working reliably, it will be streaming approx 8 hours/day 6 days/week. Hopefully small form factor but that is not necessary if it adds to the cost. I am not familiar at all with streaming and not sure what all parts are needed (both hardware and software wise) so if someone can provide some general guidelines that will be a big help.

4 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

hardware

Preferably a 1650super or higher so you have nvenc.

4 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

software

OBS is the only thing needed, if you need advice on setting it up DM me.

I'm pretty sure you'll also need a capture card, though I'm not too familiar with all that so hopefully someone else chimes in on it.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

6 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming 1080p videos on youtube from Canon XA11 camera

Other details: My mum works at a coaching institute and ever since lockdown they have been recording video lectures online on youtube. For this purpose, an old Dell laptop from 2012 was fine, but now they want to start streaming the lectures live so that students can interact and ask questions during the lecture. They already have a Canon XA11 camera that is being used to record videos, but the Dell laptop mentioned before is not powerful enough to stream live in high quality so they wish to build a PC that can capture the live feed and stream it to youtube. The youtube chat will also be open on the pc and some articles, videos etc that they can switch to if they want to demonstrate something.

Goal is to build the cheapest pc that can accomplish this goal and will keep working reliably, it will be streaming approx 8 hours/day 6 days/week. Hopefully small form factor but that is not necessary if it adds to the cost. I am not familiar at all with streaming and not sure what all parts are needed (both hardware and software wise) so if someone can provide some general guidelines that will be a big help.

>Athlon 3000G has entered the chat

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

I'm pretty sure you'll also need a capture card, though I'm not too familiar with all that so hopefully someone else chimes in on it.

If they are planning on using the XA11, then yes, they do IIRC.

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Is a discreet gpu not needed for encoding?

8 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

You're not streaming games, you're streaming a camera feed - basically any spec computer can do that these days.

Are you sure your laptop won't still work?

In any case, an i3 w/ integrated GPU and 8GB of RAM should be sufficient.

Does the Canon come with the EOS Utility to allow video passthrough over USB? If not, you'll need a USB Capture Card (Elgato HD60S is great).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, AncientPistol said:

Is a discreet gpu not needed for encoding?

Not really - but it does depend on what bitrate you want to stream at. QuickSync can encode via the iGPU if you have an iSeries Intel CPU.

If you want to stream at higher bitrates, you may need to experiment with different hardware options but I highly doubt a discrete GPU will end up being necessary.

Here's an example of a Dedicated Streaming PC that you can use as a starter:

https://www.techsiting.com/budget-dedicated-streaming-pc-build/

You can swap out AMD for equivalent Intel parts if you like one vs the other.

Frankly, video encoding isn't that intensive for live streaming.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

You're not streaming games, you're streaming a camera feed - basically any spec computer can do that these days.

Are you sure your laptop won't still work?

In any case, an i3 w/ integrated GPU and 8GB of RAM should be sufficient.

Does the Canon come with the EOS Utility to allow video passthrough over USB? If not, you'll need a USB Capture Card (Elgato HD60S is great).

The laptop was mid range when bought and barely starts up at all these days, editing pre recorded videos itself is a massive pain so we didn't even bother setting up any streaming software on it. But it is good to know this can be done on the cheap, I'll ask some of my friends if they are looking to sell their old laptops/pcs.

49 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

The laptop was mid range when bought and barely starts up at all these days, editing pre recorded videos itself is a massive pain so we didn't even bother setting up any streaming software on it. But it is good to know this can be done on the cheap, I'll ask some of my friends if they are looking to sell their old laptops/pcs.

Fair enough - I wouldn't get something too old, mind you, but anything from Haswell or newer should still suffice.

Does this need to be portable or will this be a permanent workstation?