Its there any way that you can make 1080p look better?

DanWhite
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
4 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

So if I'm playing a video at 1080p on a 1080p display it can't look any better?

Not really.

You can calibrate your monitor and it might look a bit better. That would require a calibration tool though (hardware, that you need to buy).

But no, there isn't much you can do other than change video source (as in, get a different video to play).

Hello, this question maybe'll sound troll but you know, I want to ask it any way. Its there any way to make a movie or whatever you're watching on a 1080p display look even better, more detailed someway, with any configuration, software or anything? if you know about something like that please let me know below and, if nothing to do that exists and this question its too troll, sorry about that, I just want to watch videos at the most high quality that my display lets me

And my display its from the dell precision m6600 workstation

(Sorry for the bad english)

Most likely no.

If you are playing a low resolution video on a high resolution screen it is possible to get some better image quality by tweaking upscaling settings, but if you are playing something at a native resolution there isn't that much you can do. Your best bet is to get a higher quality video if possible.

By "quality" I don't mean resolution by the way. Two 1080p videos of the same movie can look very different if other things such as bit rate and other encoding settings are different.

it's also different for each monitor.

at work we have some older benq monitors and even though they're 1080p

they look substantially worse than the new ones i made my boss buy

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

sMost likely no.

If you are playing a low resolution video on a high resolution screen it is possible to get some better image quality by tweaking upscaling settings, but if you are playing something at a native resolution there isn't that much you can do. Your best bet is to get a higher quality video if possible.

By "quality" I don't mean resolution by the way. Two 1080p videos of the same movie can look very different if other things such as bit rate and other encoding settings are different.

Edited by DanWhite

Just now, flashiling said:

it's also different for each monitor.

at work we have some older benq monitors and even though they're 1080p

they look substantially worse than the new ones i made my boss buy

In what way they look that worse?

Just now, DanWhite said:

In what way they look that worse?

hard to explain.

in general it looks worse, some times pixels are visible (depending on how close you are to the monitor) and they look worse.

the viewing angles (all of em are IPS panels) being worse and brightness is okay, but if you turn it up everything turn white, and unplesant.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

hard to explain.

in general it looks worse, some times pixels are visible (depending on how close you are to the monitor) and they look worse.

the viewing angles (all of em are IPS panels) being worse and brightness is okay, but if you turn it up everything turn white, and unplesant.

Alright I see

4 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Not really.

You can calibrate your monitor and it might look a bit better. That would require a calibration tool though (hardware, that you need to buy).

But no, there isn't much you can do other than change video source (as in, get a different video to play).

Just now, DanWhite said:

Alright I see

but try checking your graphics drivers, or the brightness/contrast on your monitor settings (buttons on monitor) ajusting thoose could make it better

but try checking your graphics drivers, or the brightness/contrast on your monitor settings (buttons on monitor) ajusting thoose could make it better

I have the nvidia quadro 3000m with the latest drivers I think. I have said that is a laptop display

Not that I know of my dude, theres minor settings and bullshit you can change but wont do anything substantial. 

Sit further back, do it in 1 foot increments until the lines are crisp

#hack

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

There's lots of factors here. No one really talks about pixel density with monitors, but it's still a thing, just like with a phone screen. At a certain distance of your eyes from the display, pixels blend together and are indistinguishable to the human eye. The closer your eyes are to the display, the more dense it must be to "hide" the pixels, whereas the farther you are away, the less dense the display needs to be.

This is why 1080p generally looks good even on like 50in TVs and such, because you're generally 6ft or further from the screen. However, with something like a computer monitor, that distance is going to be closer to a foot. At that distance you will see pixels on a 1080p monitor if it's any larger than like 24in max. Anything in the 30+ inch range for a monitor really needs to be 1440p or higher.

However, then, you're dealing with upscaling that 1080p content to 1440p or 4K, which is going to cause visual artifacting. For a good visual experience, you're going to need some sort of sophisticated software upscaling. Sometimes, the monitor itself is capable of handling this, or the GPU might have some sort of AI upscaling feature. There's also things like M-cable to do it in the actual cable going to the monitor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 hours ago, DanWhite said:

Hello, this question maybe'll sound troll but you know, I want to ask it any way. Its there any way to make a movie or whatever you're watching on a 1080p display look even better, more detailed someway, with any configuration, software or anything? if you know about something like that please let me know below and, if nothing to do that exists and this question its too troll, sorry about that, I just want to watch videos at the most high quality that my display lets me

And my display its from the dell precision m6600 workstation

(Sorry for the bad english)

A movie, no , beyond ur usual software filters and such, like de noising etc.

For gaming, yes ofc, aside for maxing out the settings u can also render above 1080p, like at 4k to gain a sizable boost in fidelity.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

A movie, no , beyond ur usual software filters and such, like de noising etc.

For gaming, yes ofc, aside for maxing out the settings u can also render above 1080p, like at 4k to gain a sizable boost in fidelity.

Ah I see I see, thank you