When will "upgrades" finally be done?

EXTRADODO

I'm sure there're loads of people out there upgrading upon upgraded personal gaming rigs just like me.

When will these upgrades finally be done?

When will I be happy?

Anyone got answers?

2 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

I'm sure there're loads of people out there upgrading upon upgraded personal gaming rigs just like me.

When will I be happy?

Anyone got answers?

Done? What is this word? Explain this definition.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

Anyone got answers?

Since your questions are about you, take a look in the mirror and present the questions there.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

Yup, I was there once with my current rig. Originally began building it in 2015, and wasn't finished upgrading until 2019 in the Fall.

6 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

When will I be happy?

When you're satisfied with the state of your current machine. For example, I don't have much reason to upgrade from my 4th gen i7 and RTX 2060 until my machine either starts to die, or I actually need to upgrade to faster hardware. Seeing as how my machine still works great and I'm satisfied with its' speed, that probably won't be for at least 2-4 more years, assuming my day-to-day needs don't change.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

12 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

when tech stops innovating (thanks AMD for making people spend money again SMH /s)

imo you'll never be done upgrading unless your needs stops changing (ie, play the same game forever)

13 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

When will I be happy?

-gives a cookie-

14 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

Anyone got answers?

yes, potato

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

37 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Done? What is this word? Explain this definition.

@TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp I don't know bruh. That's why I'm here looking for my type of people. xD

32 minutes ago, kirashi said:

When you're satisfied with the state of your current machine. For example, I don't have much reason to upgrade from my 4th gen i7 and RTX 2060 until my machine either starts to die, or I actually need to upgrade to faster hardware. Seeing as how my machine still works great and I'm satisfied with its' speed, that probably won't be for at least 2-4 more years, assuming my day-to-day needs don't change.

@kirashi I don't know, man. I've been looking for the safe spot that I can say I'm happy with this. 

27 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

-gives a cookie-

@Moonzy *happy noises*

If you keep upgrading your rig and change out the hardware one by one, when you eventually replace all the parts you started with, is it still the same rig?

29 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

I believe what OP is referring to is the never-ending hampster wheel of spending necessary to keep up with the latest and greatest technology. 

Let me let you in on a little secret OP: No matter how much money you throw at your PC, you can't win. Ever.

The key is to be happy with that you have, and perform upgrades as needed. If your games are running fine, then there is no need to upgrade. If you can browse facebook jost fine, there is no need to upgrade. If you can run stress simulations in CAD just fine, there is still no reason to upgrade. But once these things stop working, then yes, you do need to upgrade.  The machine I am typing this post on is almost 9 years old. It's a Dell T3610 With a Xeon E5-1620 and 32GB of DDR3. I literally found it at a scrapyard. It works great.

I was at GMs propulsion lab as part of an internship last year, and I saw rows and rows of really old computers running windows 95, 98, and windows NT. I asked why they needed such old machines. The response? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Turns out they use these old computers to read data recorded on a 3.5" floppy disk from multimillion dollar windtunnels. If a billion dollar corporation has decided they can use technology from 25 years ago, then you don't need to spend an additional thousand dollars on a new video card to get

31 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

get an additional 3 FPS in fortnite

. Upgrading just because you feel like it is basically just throwing money down the drain. That said, there's nothing wrong with throwing your money down the drain. I don't get to decide how you, or anyone else, uses their money. You could choose to waste your money on literal garbage if you really wanted to. I can't stop you.

In conculsion, don't try to win the upgrading game. You will always lose. Buy or build a computer that can do the job, and only upgrade when it stops doing that job. Anything else is a poor use of your hard-earned cash.

@CircleTech 

I'm not sure I'm having a need to hug you or bow down before you.
I think this will stay in my heart for a long time.
Nicely done. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Z_Light said:

If you keep upgrading your rig and change out the hardware one by one, when you eventually replace all the parts you started with, is it still the same rig?

@Z_Light I'm not sure if I'm myself anymore, bruh.

21 minutes ago, Z_Light said:

yes

and all the old part will be my secondary pc, a new life like a phoenix

my main desktop is called Desky, and my bedside desktop is called Beddie

Beddie gets all of Desky's old parts

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

well something like i7 3770/k imo one the best intel cpus ever still holds up today. why? because thing haven't got much demanding over past few years i bet a 9900k will be a good cpu even a decade later!  so the upgrading need is slowing down by every new product. btw its just an example

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

I built my current rig in 2013, boot HDD and all, and have not upgraded it since.

Only now am I starting to collect components for an upgrade, and that's only because the stars aligned:

• I've had 3 of 4 memory slots fail (I'm not convinced that the on-die memory controller isn't failing).
  • I've wanted a graphics card update since the GTX 10xx series was released. These were already 3 generations newer than what I have.
  • The type of programming projects I'm taking on are starting to get more and more advanced, and I'm really finding a need for a higher core count.
  • There are new games coming out that I want to play, and for which my computer no longer meets the minimum requirements. It's been a long time since I've been able to play a large title on even medium settings, and now there are games which I may not be able to play at all.
  • My household is switching to 4K and a solid fiber connection, so now is the perfect time to repurpose my current machine as that PFSense box I've been wanting (assuming that it's not the on-die memory controlling that's failing, of course).

As a general rule in life, I don't make "large" purchases unless I can seriously justify them. So I guess the short of it is: 

In the short term of upgrading, I'm done as soon as I assemble the machine. In the long term, well, humans tend to live pretty long. It's unlikely that a single personal computer will last an entire lifetime, especially when it's used for gaming. I don't even move on peripherals that quickly. My favorite mouse is an HP 704223-001 (yes, that's the one that came with the crappiest of crappy HP branded Walmart boxes for years). 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

When you stop caring and just live with it. Still using an fx 8300, i've no need to upgrade, only taxing thing it does is a little bit of CAD for my own use. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige