PC Manufacturers Ridiculousness

Geekazoid

Okay guys,

I've been thinking, for those of you who have ever bought a PC laptop or desktop, do you ever find it quite ridiculous that these manufactures make out the PC comes bundled with a great load of software and when you read the list it reads as follows:

• Internet Explorer

• Adobe Flash

• Adobe Reader, etc. (I'm sure that you guys can think of many more)

This is software that you can download for free. I guess they're counting on ignorant and misinformed people who may thing "wow! I'm getting all that for free, that's great". But this just irks me a lot to be honest.

What do you guys think about this?

Please share your thoughts. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

That's pretty poo but at least I got Office and Cyberlink softwares with my old laptop. :F

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

dont forget Trial versions of shitty anti virus software!

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

When I first get a laptop, I generally do a clean install right away.

That way I can remove the random crap that gets installed by the corporations.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Doesn't bother me at all. I see your point, but for the non-techie user having these programs preinstalled is actually useful as they are programs they might need the most, and saves them the trouble of installing it themselves.

Edit:

Some of the garbage trial programs, or the 1st party applications, bother me far more.

When i was looking to replace my HP laptop with a HP Desktop i was looking at the specs and no joke the difference between the $700 model and the $1500 one. The $700 had A10-6700 Radeon HD 8570 8GB RAM 1TB HDD, The $1500 had A10-6700 Radeon HD 8570 16GB RAM 4TB HDD. It was such a rip of i rang HP up and sed in staed of replacing can i just get my money back cause your systems are a rip of and that money could build a much better system but they wouldnt.

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

well I like and dislike it at the same time. I like that they preinstall it for people who don't know that stuff and so they listed it as part of their service that went into the product. on the other hand I dislike that they try to take credit for stuff that A') is free, B') they have no rights on like copyright etc and C') comes preinstalled or auto-updated with your browser or windows anyways.

and yeah I also ALWAYS do a complete reinstall on every system that people around me buy, either I do it for them since they ordered it from me or I suggest them to do it and I'll take care of that. some of the junk on those things cant even be deleted..

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

Build a pc for my friend using zotac gtx 660, he got a 3 days trial of canyon rally game thing and some other trial software codes which makes him really pissed because if his high expectation.

Actually of the last 7 pre-built machines I have worked on most have been exceptional,  There was a little bit of bloatware on the latest HP laptop, and the two older aspires I used had some slightly resource hungry power monitors, but other than that, although they all came with trial version software, if you wanted that option you had to install it and they were clearly labeled as trial versions not full copies.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Out of all the bundled software, I hate antivirus trials and webcam software the most. Especially those update center programs that are provided by HP and Dell.

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z97 Pro Wifi AC (USB 3.0 rev) | Memory: G.Skill 2x8GB Ripjaws @ 1866MHZ | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Gaming | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

It is called Bloat for a reason.  Bloat as in "full of Gas", or uneeded, spurious.

95% of bloat is just crap.  5% ( im being generous) is marginal at best.

Regardless of Vendor you will see bloat how much is dependeant upon how much money the software vendors give ot...so it wil vary greatly.

The Basics should be in any system, by basics I mean:

1) a functioning A/V solution 

2) all the software neccessarry for the system to function  as intended...don't know it's function?  Figure it out BEFORE you buy....

For a vendor system, save yourself the headache, blow the system away and start from scratch.  I can build a win 7 box from DVD insert to configuring all the options I need and want in about an 90 minutes ( including install time).  It is well worth your time to turn OFF services you do not need, and to unistall services you wont use.

Even better.... build your own system, save the extra cash, become more proficeint over time.

@Paralectic & @Zackis, I'm just kinda curious as to why you two don't have a profile pic?

This is one thing that you can give credit to Apple for, the reason when you buy a manufacturer PC or Laptop for it having a load of software is the company that makes the computer (Sony, Asus, HP etc.) gets paid by the software companies to put it on there. Apple realized that people don't like getting a new computer with a ton of bloatware. This is one of the few arguments defending Macs, people say that "PC's come with loads of crap software". When really all we have to do is go into control panel and uninstall it, but I guess this doesn't really effect anyone is this forum because the majority have built their own PC.

Check out my Build Log: Project Contrast

It is called Bloat for a reason.  Bloat as in "full of Gas", or uneeded, spurious.

95% of bloat is just crap.  5% ( im being generous) is marginal at best.

Regardless of Vendor you will see bloat how much is dependeant upon how much money the software vendors give ot...so it wil vary greatly.

The Basics should be in any system, by basics I mean:

1) a functioning A/V solution 

2) all the software neccessarry for the system to function  as intended...don't know it's function?  Figure it out BEFORE you buy....

For a vendor system, save yourself the headache, blow the system away and start from scratch.  I can build a win 7 box from DVD insert to configuring all the options I need and want in about an 90 minutes ( including install time).  It is well worth your time to turn OFF services you do not need, and to unistall services you wont use.

Even better.... build your own system, save the extra cash, become more proficeint over time.

well not everyone wants a custom build PC even if you offer it to them. best example is my 67 years old neighbor who rather bought a win8 laptop and let it be downgraded to win7 and AntiVir Premium etc preinstalled by some computer shop. He had a lot of problems with it where I helped but he still prefers it over a custom build. I guess it's the guarantee of  the whole system although I also give that, even if it's only 6 month..

I don't think most techies here buy that kind of stuff anyways so I guess it doesn't really matter, a custom build has it's advantages in almost every aspect anyways ;)

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

Custom PC Builds are awesome. This is why I plan to build mine this year. You just get so much more for your money and all the stuff you do want and none you don't.

I would think that its a good thing for people who don't know much about computers and just want things to work out of the box or its good for people to know what are installed on their computer out of the box. You could probably reformat if you want to start clean.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would think that its a good thing for people who don't know much about computers and just want things to work out of the box or its good for people to know what are installed on their computer out of the box. You could probably reformat if you want to start clean.

You could just as easily buy a pre-build custom built PC from a business like PC Case Gear or Scorpion Technology and many equivalent businesses in any country or a custom built PC and just tell them what you plan to do with the PC and they could assemble a build that would meet your needs and your budget.

Okay guys,

I've been thinking, for those of you who have ever bought a PC laptop or desktop, do you ever find it quite ridiculous that these manufactures make out the PC comes bundled with a great load of software and when you read the list it reads as follows:

• Internet Explorer

• Adobe Flash

• Adobe Reader, etc. (I'm sure that you guys can think of many more)

This is software that you can download for free. I guess they're counting on ignorant and misinformed people who may thing "wow! I'm getting all that for free, that's great". But this just irks me a lot to be honest.

What do you guys think about this?

Please share your thoughts. :)

The first thing I do whenever I have a new computer is do a fresh install of Windows from my OEM disks.  That makes it really easy to get rid of all that bloatware.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

When i was looking to replace my HP laptop with a HP Desktop i was looking at the specs and no joke the difference between the $700 model and the $1500 one. The $700 had A10-6700 Radeon HD 8570 8GB RAM 1TB HDD, The $1500 had A10-6700 Radeon HD 8570 16GB RAM 4TB HDD. It was such a rip of i rang HP up and sed in staed of replacing can i just get my money back cause your systems are a rip of and that money could build a much better system but they wouldnt.

You learned a great lesson that day.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

The first thing I do whenever I have a new computer is do a fresh install of Windows from my OEM disks. That makes it really easy to get rid of all that bloatware.

I do the same. I loathe bloatware.

When I first get a laptop, I generally do a clean install right away.

That way I can remove the random crap that gets installed by the corporations.

Smart man, do the same thing myself.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Haha obviously they would give you a refund. xD they need that money!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^