Which of these power supplies should I get? (Ion+) (RMx)

Narfalls
1 minute ago, Maurice from Madagascar said:

the 650w has 2 rails dedicated for gpu cables. both have a max capacity of 30a, means 360w. just use one cable on each rail and you'll have no problem what so ever even if using 2 8 pin connectors of one rail.

12v1 25a - atx 24pin + sata
12v2 25a - cpu
12v3 30a - gpu 1
12v4 30a - gpu 2

The Revolution D.F. (or other CWT GPU platforms)  is just such a great psu for its price 

On 8/10/2020 at 6:09 PM, Narfalls said:

BUT I do like that it is made by CWT but it also impossible to get custom cables which is what I wanted.

It's exactly the opposite. CWT PSUs are by far one of the easiest PSUs to get custom cables for, since lots of PSUs from even different brands use the same pinout. Whisper M uses the same cables as Corsair's Type 4 cables, which expands your selection of custom cables greatly.

18 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

It's exactly the opposite. CWT PSUs are by far one of the easiest PSUs to get custom cables for, since lots of PSUs from even different brands use the same pinout. Whisper M uses the same cables as Corsair's Type 4 cables, which expands your selection of custom cables greatly.

Even though it is made by CWT I would like to find the ones that go exactly with that unit to prevent issues. 

13 hours ago, Narfalls said:

I never said that?

Sorry mate if you thought I was referring to you, I was not. The comment "buy (almost) anything except focus". It was in a sig under "helpful Links". Anyway if I thought choosing a graphics card was problematic, turns out choosing a PSU is so much worse as I do not know as much about PSU's never mind understand them. The brain was in a muddle. I had been looking at a SS GX-850W but have settled on a Corsair series RMX 550W, both are similarly priced where I am. Peace out.

Just now, Narfalls said:

Even though it is made by CWT I would like to find the ones that go exactly with that unit to prevent issues. 

Corsair Type 4 cables go exactly with that unit, like I said.

1 minute ago, Uberwolf said:

Sorry mate if you thought I was referring to you, I was not. The comment "buy (almost) anything except focus". It was in a sig under "helpful Links". Anyway if I thought choosing a graphics card was problematic, turns out choosing a PSU is so much worse as I do not know as much about PSU's never mind understand them. The brain was in a muddle. I had been looking at a SS GX-850W but have settled on a Corsair series RMX 550W, both are similarly priced where I am. Peace out.

ah ok

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Corsair Type 4 cables go exactly with that unit, like I said.

Does that unit have a zero rpm mode or a platinum model? 

Instead of getting a new PSU, I'd suggest just getting a better graphics card, instead of a 2060 Super. Even a 1080Ti will "only" pull 275W max, say 125W on the 8600K depending on what overclock you've got going on it, and you're still looking at under 450W of full system power consumption at full load.

On that note, I'd suggest waiting a little longer before pulling the trigger on a GPU upgrade - Nvidia's pretty much certainly revealing their Ampere GPUs at the end of this month, with a release to follow, and AMD will surely follow suit with their RDNA2 GPUs.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

7 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Instead of getting a new PSU, I'd suggest just getting a better graphics card, instead of a 2060 Super. Even a 1080Ti will "only" pull 275W max, say 125W on the 8600K depending on what overclock you've got going on it, and you're still looking at under 450W of full system power consumption at full load.

On that note, I'd suggest waiting a little longer before pulling the trigger on a GPU upgrade - Nvidia's pretty much certainly revealing their Ampere GPUs at the end of this month, with a release to follow, and AMD will surely follow suit with their RDNA2 GPUs.

That is why I haven't bought anything yet. I am just finding what I want to buy. While yes the 550w would work. I would like a little more headroom. I am also not going to buy a new gpu until the new ones are released.

1 minute ago, Narfalls said:

That is why I haven't bought anything yet. I am just finding what I want to buy. While yes the 550w would work. I would like a little more headroom. I am also not going to buy a new gpu until the new ones are released.

Fair enough.

On topic, I'd take the RMx over the Ion+. It is a better unit overall.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

On 8/11/2020 at 12:17 PM, Mateyyy said:

Fair enough.

On topic, I'd take the RMx over the Ion+. It is a better unit overall.

I thought the ion+ was better, I have looked at reviews and it seems better?

5 minutes ago, Narfalls said:

I thought the ion+ was better, I have looked at reviews and it seems better?

Other than the slightly higher efficiency, it's really not.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-ion-platinum-760w-power-supply-review

12 minutes ago, Narfalls said:

If your talking about the OCP it is actually better than the 650x. And the testing is going to be more "strict" on Platinum units rather than Gold ones.

Lower inrush current, better transient response, better ripple suppression, and more.

I'm not saying the Ion+ is a bad unit, in fact it's far from it, though I don't get how the Ion+ is better other than the slightly higher efficiency. Either way, you're getting a solid PSU that will be plenty for your components.

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Lower inrush current, better transient response, better ripple suppression, and more.

I'm not saying the Ion+ is a bad unit, in fact it's far from it, though I don't get how the Ion+ is better other than the slightly higher efficiency. Either way, you're getting a solid PSU that will be plenty for your components.

Im  looking at it because it is cheaper than the RMX right now

56 minutes ago, Narfalls said:

Im  looking at it because it is cheaper than the RMX right now

I'd still say keep using the 550w RMx that you have already since it'll be enough for almost any build except something like an OC'd 10900k and OC'd 2080Ti. You don't have to buy a new PSU right now, even if you get a used 1080ti. You can wait to upgrade it later, especially when prices start to go back down as stock returns to normal.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 hour ago, MrBrightSyde said:

I'd still say keep using the 550w RMx that you have already since it'll be enough for almost any build except something like an OC'd 10900k and OC'd 2080Ti. You don't have to buy a new PSU right now, even if you get a used 1080ti. You can wait to upgrade it later, especially when prices start to go back down as stock returns to normal.

another reason I want to get a new one is because I want to swap the one in my VR rig ( Thermaltake Smart ) because I have heard bad things about low end thermaltake PSU's I'd swap my current 550x with the ion and put the 550x in the VR build.