Which of these power supplies should I get? (Ion+) (RMx)

Narfalls

I am looking to get a new power supply and was wondering which I should get. Right now I have a RM550x with a OC'd 1060 and a OC'd 8600k. I am looking to get a more powerful GPU (Either a Used 1080Ti or a 2060 Super Strix) and do some overclocking on it, and while 550W is probably enough I feel going to 650 or maybe even 750 would be a little more efficient and give me some room to expand. I am currently looking at the Fractal Design Ion+660p or the RM650x 2018. I know they are two different efficiency's but they are around the same price ($150 USD.) I have heard that the 660p is manufactured my High Power which isn't "the best" but is still good, while the RM650x is manufactured by Channel Well which is one of the best. I was going to get a EVGA 650P2 but they just discontinued them and you cant find them anymore. If you have any more recommendations or any thoughts if I should look at higher wattage's or different models, please tell me.

Thanks. 

dunno where you live but i just got a notification that the ion 760p went down to $130 an hour ago, thats on amazon US though. supposed to be a fine psu, and as i was looking at psus recently it was high on my list. ended up getting a titanium seasonic though lmao

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

36 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

dunno where you live but i just got a notification that the ion 760p went down to $130 an hour ago, thats on amazon US though. supposed to be a fine psu, and as i was looking at psus recently it was high on my list. ended up getting a titanium seasonic though lmao

USA, 650W is on newegg for $119

2 hours ago, Narfalls said:

Seems good but can't find any reviews from toms hardware or jonnyguru though.

The Enermax Revolution DF uses the same platform as the bequiet! Whisper M and Deepcool DQ-M, which do have reviews from Aris and jonnyGURU, but of course, it's not the same. You could use the reviews the Revolution DF has, all you have to do is translate the page (one-click if on Chrome).

Enermax is more known in the European market than the US market though.

Also, you could just use the RM550x that you have. An OC'd 1080Ti would only draw about 300-350w under full load IIRC (depends on OC) and an OC'd 8600k (5Ghz @ 1.4V) would consume, at most, 150w under full load. It's unrealistic for both the GPU and CPU to be under full load at the same time unless you are doing something like folding@home. If you are mostly gaming, you shouldn't see more than 400w being drawn from your PSU.

If you really want to change the PSU, I would get the 660w Ion+ personally, since it's slightly cheaper ($5-10 I think) and saves a little more money on the electric bill (how much depends on how long the PC is powered on daily, what loads it's under, and cost of electricity per kWh in your area)

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

19 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

The Enermax Revolution DF uses the same platform as the bequiet! Whisper M and Deepcool DQ-M, which do have reviews from Aris and jonnyGURU, but of course, it's not the same. You could use the reviews the Revolution DF has, all you have to do is translate the page (one-click if on Chrome).

Enermax is more known in the European market than the US market though.

Also, you could just use the RM550x that you have. An OC'd 1080Ti would only draw about 300-350w under full load IIRC (depends on OC) and an OC'd 8600k (5Ghz @ 1.4V) would consume, at most, 150w under full load. It's unrealistic for both the GPU and CPU to be under full load at the same time unless you are doing something like folding@home. If you are mostly gaming, you shouldn't see more than 400w being drawn from your PSU.

If you really want to change the PSU, I would get the 660w Ion+ personally, since it's slightly cheaper ($5-10 I think) and saves a little more money on the electric bill (how much depends on how long the PC is powered on daily, what loads it's under, and cost of electricity per kWh in your area)

Ok Thanks. Any idea to where I can get cables for the Fractal unit?

2 minutes ago, Narfalls said:

Ok Thanks. Any idea to where I can get cables for the Fractal unit?

I don't know what the pinouts are for the Ion+, but I think they use a different pinout from Corsair and Seasonic.

I know you can get custom cables from @CableMod. And since I pinged them, do you guys know what pinout the Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum uses and what cables are compatible if there are any?

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

2 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

I don't know what the pinouts are for the Ion+, but I think they use a different pinout from Corsair and Seasonic.

I know you can get custom cables from @CableMod. And since I pinged them, do you guys know what pinout the Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum uses and what cables are compatible if there are any?

Just checked and I think that they make custom cable replacements for it.

7 hours ago, Narfalls said:

Seems good but can't find any reviews from toms hardware or jonnyguru though.

We linked reviews for most psus in the spreadsheet attached to the psu tier list 14.3 thread, just look at some about the CWT GPU platforms that someone mentioned ealier. Whisper M, DQ-M v1 & Revolution D.F.     Pretty much my favorite recommendation due to its price and great performance 

4 hours ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

rip prices, 140+tax for a gold seasonic :/

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

7 hours ago, Maurice from Madagascar said:

We linked reviews for most psus in the spreadsheet attached to the psu tier list 14.3 thread, just look at some about the CWT GPU platforms that someone mentioned ealier. Whisper M, DQ-M v1 & Revolution D.F.     Pretty much my favorite recommendation due to its price and great performance 

I also noticed that the DF Unit is multi rail and preferably I want single rail or switchable. BUT I do like that it is made by CWT but it also impossible to get custom cables which is what I wanted.

4 hours ago, Narfalls said:

I also noticed that the DF Unit is multi rail and preferably I want single rail or switchable. BUT I do like that it is made by CWT but it also impossible to get custom cables which is what I wanted.

can you reason your choice for single instead of multi rail?

4 hours ago, Narfalls said:

Why would you prefer single rail? Single rails are less safe than multi rail units, and most of the multi rail issues of past are long gone.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Why are you still saying, "anything except focus", I thought SS had fixed the issues. On other forums ppl say they are great because SS make their own etc, the mind boggles.

5 hours ago, Maurice from Madagascar said:

can you reason your choice for single instead of multi rail?

I have heard that there can be issues with power draw on gpu's

3 hours ago, Uberwolf said:

Why are you still saying, "anything except focus", I thought SS had fixed the issues. On other forums ppl say they are great because SS make their own etc, the mind boggles.

I never said that?

9 minutes ago, Narfalls said:

I never said that?

He forgot to quote seon123

MAIN PC:

SECONDARY PC:

I am still kind of stuck on which one to get. I like the Fractal one and haven't heard anything bad about them but they also are not that common either. I fully trust Corsair because I use one in my computer right now. The Fractal unit is $10 cheaper and is platinum rated but custom cables are more expensive than corsair. I trust both of these brands but I still don't know the definitive answer. I am leaning towards the fractal unit. If you have anything to say about the Fractal or Corsair unit, PLEASE tell me

Thanks

49 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

He forgot to quote seon123

I never said "anything except Focus"...? The Focus is fine, other than the issues with high transient GPUs, the crappy fan, lack of multi rail OCP on 12V, Seasonic's QC issues, and basically lying about all of their PSUs' temperature ratings.

:)

1 minute ago, CableMod said:

@Narfalls @MrBrightSyde yep - we offer cables for Fractals Ion units through our configurator page actually. :)

https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

Nice. So I'm guessing the cables that Fractal Ion+ uses are proprietary and can't be used with other modular PSUs?

MAIN PC:

SECONDARY PC:

13 hours ago, Narfalls said:

I have heard that there can be issues with power draw on gpu's

the 650w has 2 rails dedicated for gpu cables. both have a max capacity of 30a, means 360w. just use one cable on each rail and you'll have no problem what so ever even if using 2 8 pin connectors of one rail.