Can coding or coding inside a game ruin your pc?

probablydumb

Alright so i want to start programming but i have heard that coding uses a lot of your pc resources and some people have a special pc for coding and a main one for videogames.And some people's pc have problems after they start coding.I actually wanted to start off with learning to program or atleast execute commands with something im kinda already used with.Minecraft command blocks.Yes im being dead serious so i learned a lot of commands executed and created a couple of minigames and i just started to wonder "If code can actually ruin your PC somehow, can minecraft command blocks do the exact same thing? Since it's also running commands telling my PC what to do" OK LISTEN I KNOW I SOUND MENTALLY Retarded but im extremely paranoic and overthink a lot and i just wanna know if coding can ruin your PC and in who knows what fucking universe executing commands in minecraft command blocks can do the same thing.

PC Setup:
Case:NJOY Vanguard with custom RGB Fans
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (4.4GHZ)
Graphics Card: MSI GAMING X TRIO RTX 2080S (8GB DDR6)
RAM: 16GB (15.96 Usable) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO
CPU Cooler:NZXT KRAKEN X53
Power Supply: Corsair CX750 (750W)
HDD: 1 TB WD Blue
SSD: 240GB Kingston A400
Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450M PLUS GAMING

💠Case: SilentiumPC Signum SG7V EVO TG ARGB
💠Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
💠Graphics Card: ASUS TUF RTX 4070 OC
💠RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO @ 3600 CL18
💠CPU Cooler:NZXT KRAKEN Z73
💠Power Supply: Corsair CX750 (750W)
💠HDD: 1 TB WD Blue
💠SSD 1: 240GB Kingston A400
💠SSD 2: 960GB Kingston A400
💠Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450M PLUS GAMING

Ruin as in broken? No.

Probably if you have some infinite loop the memory will leak and it will crash. But that's about it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, probablydumb said:

i have heard that coding uses a lot of your pc resources

coding only requires enough power for a plain text editor. People use high end computers to speed up compile times or run emulators for things like phones.

If you're just starting out you don't need to worry about any of this. Besides your pc is fast enough for most things.

7 minutes ago, probablydumb said:

some people have a special pc for coding and a main one for videogames.

Not sure where you heard this from, in 99.999% of cases you can easily do both on the same machine.

9 minutes ago, probablydumb said:

If code can actually ruin your PC somehow, can minecraft command blocks do the exact same thing? Since it's also running commands telling my PC what to do

Absolutely not. First of all on modern systems actually doing any damage accidentally is extremely difficult - the worst you could do is accidentally delete some important files, which can be prevented with regular backups (or just leaving files alone while you're learning the basics). Secondly, running blocks within something like minecraft means you're limited by what the game itself is capable of doing, which is almost certainly not anything potentially dangerous.

11 minutes ago, probablydumb said:

i just wanna know if coding can ruin your PC

In theory if you know what you're doing you could force some components to overheat or run poorly - but I can't imagine how you would end up doing that accidentally.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Okay. Go ahead and sit down, and read your name out loud, and slowly.

Okay?

Read it again.

There is the answer.

Bruh why you do me like that ;(

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

coding only requires enough power for a plain text editor. People use high end computers to speed up compile times or run emulators for things like phones.

If you're just starting out you don't need to worry about any of this. Besides your pc is fast enough for most things.

Not sure where you heard this from, in 99.999% of cases you can easily do both on the same machine.

Absolutely not. First of all on modern systems actually doing any damage accidentally is extremely difficult - the worst you could do is accidentally delete some important files, which can be prevented with regular backups (or just leaving files alone while you're learning the basics). Secondly, running blocks within something like minecraft means you're limited by what the game itself is capable of doing, which is almost certainly not anything potentially dangerous.

In theory if you know what you're doing you could force some components to overheat or run poorly - but I can't imagine how you would end up doing that accidentally.

Alright thanks for the explanation have a good one!

You absolutely can destroy your operating system/files if you aren't careful with what code you're writing, but the solution is as easy as not writing code that deletes or modifies those files. Coding in itself won't do any permanent damage though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 hours ago, probablydumb said:

Alright so i want to start programming but i have heard that coding uses a lot of your pc resources and some people have a special pc for coding and a main one for videogames.And some people's pc have problems after they start coding.I actually wanted to start off with learning to program or atleast execute commands with something im kinda already used with.Minecraft command blocks.Yes im being dead serious so i learned a lot of commands executed and created a couple of minigames and i just started to wonder "If code can actually ruin your PC somehow, can minecraft command blocks do the exact same thing? Since it's also running commands telling my PC what to do" OK LISTEN I KNOW I SOUND MENTALLY Retarded but im extremely paranoic and overthink a lot and i just wanna know if coding can ruin your PC and in who knows what fucking universe executing commands in minecraft command blocks can do the same thing.

PC Setup:

No, unless you figure out how to write garbled firmware to things, which should be nigh impossible.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

The only way coding will ruin your computer is if you, as others have advised, write system firmware and flash your system with it.  Unless you're flashing your BIOS, you're fine. 

The most that will happen while your programming with a high-level language like Javascript, C#, Python while in Windows is you will break Windows.  You'd have to be writing some pretty warped stuff to do this, but it's the worst that will happen.  In that case, just reinstall. 

Another option, if you're really worried, set up a Virtual Machine in something like Virtual Box and use that to develop.  Linux is a great development environment, and will teach you a lot if you use it to develop software. 

16 hours ago, probablydumb said:

Keep in mind that most developers don't have a strong IT knowledge. What they say, can be be crap when it comes to that. Many don't even know how to build a computer.

As a developer and gamer myself, I can assure you that, for you are doing will have 0 impact on performance.

What causes a impact? Typically, if you enable a Type 1 hypervisor, you'll get a small performance drop. So if you use WSL2 or Hyper-V, for example, you will notice a few drops in fps in games. Does it matter? Well, at the end of the day, if your games run smooth, that is all that matters. Not benchmark scores. If your game can no longer run at 200fps, but rather runs at 180fps, with your 60Hz display, I think you can still sleep at night. No, it wont' drop 5,000fps down to 30fps, if that is what you wonder.

As for databases, standard VMs, and other software technologies in development.. well they may impact your system performance, definitely will cause you to have less RAM available... but that is assuming that they are running. You don't have to run them while you are not developing. The same way you don't have to have a game that you are not actively playing running on the back while you play a different game. Close your stuff and it won't be a problem (you can leave your IDE open, your system specs are plenty to allow even a large IDE running on the back no problem, unless you plan to play the new Microsoft Flight Simulator which recommends 32GB of RAM, 16GB min. So, yea you want every MB free). Anyway, you get the point.

As for breaking the system, no, as other explained.

6 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

You absolutely can destroy your operating system/files if you aren't careful with what code you're writing, but the solution is as easy as not writing code that deletes or modifies those files. Coding in itself won't do any permanent damage though.

Yes, in that sense, sure... but considering that he/she will need to start his/her IDE in elevated credential (Administrator) to actually cause a damage to a point of a need to re-install Windows or programs... no. 

On 8/9/2020 at 12:04 AM, probablydumb said:

PC Setup:

Everything in this thread is a worst case scenario.(unless you write a virus and run it on your computer lor something)  The only thing that can happen is an infinite loop but you can just shut it down with task manager and I assume you wont game and code at the same time so it shouldnt be a problem. 

So, ruining your pc? 0% chance.