My hard drive appears fragmented nothing will fix it

jefire411

152680685_Annotation2020-08-07155743.png.7349831fd886e1c20808cda169dfc5bf.png

This is what appears for me, and it's starting to effect some games stored on the hard drive. Sometimes textures won't load in fast enough. I have no idea what to do. My hdd probably isn't dying, it doesn't make any weird noises or anything. I'm running windows v2004 on a ryzen 7 3700x, rx 5700, 16gb dual channel 3733mhz cl 16 ram, samsung 850 evo and seagate barracuda pro 2 tb

3 minutes ago, jefire411 said:

windows v2004

Why not windows 10?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Why not windows 10?

well windows 10 pro version 2004

3 minutes ago, jefire411 said:

This is what appears for me, and it's starting to effect some games stored on the hard drive. Sometimes textures won't load in fast enough. I have no idea what to do. My hdd probably isn't dying, it doesn't make any weird noises or anything. I'm running windows v2004 on a ryzen 7 3700x, rx 5700, 16gb dual channel 3733mhz cl 16 ram, samsung 850 evo and seagate barracuda pro 2 tb

There's nothing wrong with your HDD. Windows even says it's OK and 0% fragmented. If you are talking about your SSD, no, it doesn't need defragmentation. SSDs do not work the same as HDDs and fragmentation doesn't affect them the same.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

There's nothing wrong with your HDD. Windows even says it's OK and 0% fragmented. If you are talking about your SSD, no, it doesn't need defragmentation. SSDs do not work the same as HDDs and fragmentation doesn't affect them the same.

what would all those volumes be?

Just now, jefire411 said:

what would all those volumes be?

I have no idea, but that's not fragmentation. That's something entirely different.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

well windows 10 pro version 2004

Oh, i thought you ment windows 2004, not 10 version 2004

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what does disk management show you ?

it looks normal

Annotation 2020-08-07 161130.png

1 minute ago, jefire411 said:

it looks normal

Annotation 2020-08-07 161130.png

just curious, why not expnd the c drive to be bigger?

How about diskpart, then list volume.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

just curious, why not expnd the c drive to be bigger?

How about diskpart, then list volume.

the 46.58 gb of empty space? I think that's for over-provisioning

Annotation 2020-08-07 161536.png

2 minutes ago, jefire411 said:

the 46.58 gb of empty space? I think that's for over-provisioning

Annotation 2020-08-07 161536.png

You can just leave the space empty on your drive, no need to have it unpartitions. Trim does this for you.

I don't really see any issues here with fragmentation.

You can just leave the space empty on your drive, no need to have it unpartitions. Trim does this for you.

I don't really see any issues here with fragmentation.

I ran Samsung Magician a while back and the over provisioning did that.

Maybe it's a windows thing? I've never had this happen before until a couple weeks ago

I ran Samsung Magician a while back and the over provisioning did that.

Maybe it's a windows thing? I've never had this happen before until a couple weeks ago

Id expand the partitoin, no reason to leave it smal.

What is a windows thing?

What happened a few weeks ago. HDDs are getting to be too slow for some games now, and there isn't much you can do, but this doesn't seem like a fragmentation issue. If you want to be sure, you can reformat.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is a windows thing?

the whole load of new volumes. I was playing fallout 76 when I started lagging hard out of nowhere in an indoors area and textures would not for a good 10 or 20 seconds. I know the game runs like shit but I always had over 80 fps indoors, usually at around 100 to 120.

the whole load of new volumes. I was playing fallout 76 when I started lagging hard out of nowhere in an indoors area and textures would not for a good 10 or 20 seconds. I know the game runs like shit but I always had over 80 fps indoors, usually at around 100 to 120.

what is disk uage in game like?

what is disk uage in game like?

at that moment in time, it was at 100%

@jefire411

If you bought the SSD to take advantage of its read/write speed, you'll need both the operating system and the games installed on it in order to take full advantage of it. Having the O.S and programs on different storage devices is kind of akin to having to go to a laundromat to do your laundry when you could just do it in your own home, much more efficient and time saving, to pick a half decent analogy. Also, contrary to popular belief, when you click on the optimize button, its not going to defrag your SSD like it does with an HDD, it will "trim" it. These are two entirely different operations. Its not true that SSD's don't get "fragmented" per se, it just happens less often because the technology is entirely different. The article below explains this very well for those wondering. Basically, as long as your operating system recognizes your SSD as an actual SSD on the optimize page, you don't have to worry about your O.S screwing it up. 

Link: The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD?v

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 8/7/2020 at 5:05 PM, BlackManINC said:

@jefire411

If you bought the SSD to take advantage of its read/write speed, you'll need both the operating system and the games installed on it in order to take full advantage of it. Having the O.S and programs on different storage devices is kind of akin to having to go to a laundromat to do your laundry when you could just do it in your own home, much more efficient and time saving, to pick a half decent analogy. Also, contrary to popular belief, when you click on the optimize button, its not going to defrag your SSD like it does with an HDD, it will "trim" it. These are two entirely different operations. Its not true that SSD's don't get "fragmented" per se, it just happens less often because the technology is entirely different. The article below explains this very well for those wondering. Basically, as long as your operating system recognizes your SSD as an actual SSD on the optimize page, you don't have to worry about your O.S screwing it up. 

Link: The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD?v

I double checked and found the game was indeed actually installed on the ssd. Another thing I found was that the lag I experienced was just Bethesda being Bethesda, the last update a couple days ago for FO76 made it so that there's a ton of lag in indoor areas with a lot o meat piles. I don't know what's up with the multiple volumes, though.

Image relevent

https://i.redd.it/1u56hwnhpdg51.jpg

EDIT: Looks like it's a windows thing, should be fixed soon