Best budget key switch for gaming.

Now I understand that switches are preference, but I really am struggling to find a good budget keyboard.

I would really like for who ever is reading this to link keyboards so that I have options馃槄

The main keeb that I am looking at is the Redragon k552 with outemu blue switches.

But I want to look at other keebs to really compare price as I can鈥檛 really go above $46 US.

I will be using the keyboard mainly for gaming and atleast 3-5% typing as I mostly play with a controller and don鈥檛 have a job at the moment.

Just now, Tom and Me said:

Now I understand that switches are preference, but I really am struggling to find a good budget keyboard.

I would really like for who ever is reading this to link keyboards so that I have options馃槄

The main keeb that I am looking at is the Redragon k552 with outemu blue switches.

But I want to look at other keebs to really compare price as I can鈥檛 really go above $46 US.

I will be using the keyboard mainly for gaming and atleast 3-5% typing as I mostly play with a controller and don鈥檛 have a job at the moment.

And I also haven鈥檛 really heard any good things about Outemu blues as of late.

just dont get the outemu browns since those have no tactile feedback at all unless you like that but since you are looking at the blues im guessing not. the common complaint i hear about the blues is that they are loud but i personally dont mind loud switches

2 minutes ago, Tom and Me said:

good budget keyboard.

I find this one quite useful, very affordable.

1119818_246e0.jpg

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.聽

If on a tight budget, just forget about mechanical and go for a cheap membrane keyboard.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

wait didnt i linked you options before? have you checked them out at all?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb聽RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430聽
Cooler Master MH聽752

16 minutes ago, Oswin said:

wait didnt i linked you options before? have you checked them out at all?

Yes you did and I did go through all of them but the Redragon k552 was still cheaper.

What I am struggling with is choosing between reds and blues, the outemus are the only ones that I can find in my price range.

But one of my friends has blue switches so I will go ask him if I can try them out, if they work and are not that loud, then I will be taking the blue switch k552.

2 minutes ago, Tom and Me said:

Yes you did and I did go through all of them but the Redragon k552 was still cheaper.

What I am struggling with is choosing between reds and blues, the outemus are the only ones that I can find in my price range.

But one of my friends has blue switches so I will go ask him if I can try them out, if they work and are not that loud, then I will be taking the blue switch k552.

the K552 does a red switch version (idk if you saw this before)

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K552-Mechanical-Keyboard-Equivalent/dp/B016MAK38U/ref=sr_1_5?crid=17ED9Q19HZVET&dchild=1&keywords=reddragon%2Bk552&qid=1596301353&sprefix=reddragon%2B%2Caps%2C399&sr=8-5&tag=linus21-20&th=1

trying them out is the best way to find out what you would like, if it is possible.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb聽RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430聽
Cooler Master MH聽752

I got the E-Element Z-88聽60% with Outeumu red switches. IMO the outeumu聽red is quieter and softer compared to my other Cherry red keyboard.

20 hours ago, Gunner Doom said:

I got the E-Element Z-88聽60% with Outeumu red switches. IMO the outeumu聽red is quieter and softer compared to my other Cherry red keyboard.

Would you say the reds are worth it?

23 hours ago, Oswin said:

the K552 does a red switch version (idk if you saw this before)

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K552-Mechanical-Keyboard-Equivalent/dp/B016MAK38U/ref=sr_1_5?crid=17ED9Q19HZVET&dchild=1&keywords=reddragon%2Bk552&qid=1596301353&sprefix=reddragon%2B%2Caps%2C399&sr=8-5&tag=linus21-20&th=1

trying them out is the best way to find out what you would like, if it is possible.

Yes I have馃槄

11 hours ago, geo3 said:

Best budget switches:

Tactile: Kailh Purple or Box brown/burnt orange

Linear: Milk top Gateron Red/Yellow/Black

Clicky: Kailh Box White/Pale Blue

I will maybe be buying a hotswap keyboard and swap the switches.

On 8/7/2020 at 2:43 AM, Tom and Me said:

I will maybe be buying a hotswap keyboard and swap the switches.

I had a lexma with outemu blue with the stem box and those were better, quieter and smoother than the normal outemu blue that you can find in the redragon k552.聽 Those outemu in the 552 are loud but not in a good way/same way they were in the lexma (which I didn't mind at all).聽 From that point I just bought the gmmk in tkl format and got some switches.聽 Now typing on gateron yellow black housing and dsa doubleshot pbt keycap with o-ring (I know o-rings are bad) and it's quite nice.聽 The nice thing about hotswap is that you can just get multiple set of switches and just try them out and change once in a while.聽 If you want to go that way you should do so.聽

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Should I maybe try and get O-rings for the k552?

Im am just making sure before I choose which one I am doing.

25 minutes ago, Tom and Me said:

Should I maybe try and get O-rings for the k552?

Im am just making sure before I choose which one I am doing.

O rings will make it feel mushy and won't make the board that much quieter because it dampens only the downstroke, better take a look into something like this, is now out of stock,so you should wait a bit or try looking for it on aliexpress. It costs only a bit more but is hotswap while still being cheap :聽https://www.banggood.com/Geek-GK61-60-pencent-61Keys-Gateron-Optical-Axis-RGB-Mechanical-Keyboard-Type-c-Programmable-Gaming-p-1391919.html?cur_warehouse=CN

On 8/5/2020 at 2:11 PM, Radium_Angel said:

I find this one quite useful, very affordable.

1119818_246e0.jpg

very compatible with Windows Vista聽

22 hours ago, nox_ said:

O rings will make it feel mushy and won't make the board that much quieter because it dampens only the downstroke, better take a look into something like this, is now out of stock,so you should wait a bit or try looking for it on aliexpress. It costs only a bit more but is hotswap while still being cheap :聽https://www.banggood.com/Geek-GK61-60-pencent-61Keys-Gateron-Optical-Axis-RGB-Mechanical-Keyboard-Type-c-Programmable-Gaming-p-1391919.html?cur_warehouse=CN

I did try to o-ring those outemu blue in the redragon k552 and yes it made them a bit more mushy and it also reduce the total travel a bit.聽 As for the noise it reduced the clack associated with the bottoming out but nothing more.聽 The switch was still loud when topping up and depending of the way I pressed the key some still had really bad spring ping which seemed to be amplified by the metal plate. 聽 I have generic rosewill o-ring and don't have any specific hardness rating for them.聽 I've seen some with different thickness and hardness so it might help preventing the mushiness with harder o-ring.聽

I would really get something else than the outemu blue ... and I'm pretty sure that the outemu red have the same ping problem ... Seriously if that was not for that ping sound, I would probably still use that keyboard cause the intended click from the click jacket was not that bad.聽 The k552 is not a bad keyboard in itself, it's well built, sturdy, heavy enough and don't have much flex.聽 If you could put some kailh or gateron in there it would probably be great.聽

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Hello to you all who have helped me choose a switch for my keyboard.

I have recently found a sound test video for outemu blues on the k552 and I decided that they were not that loud.

So I ordered it and I tried it out, I really like it. I don鈥檛 notice the spring noise at all because I am wearing headphones 24/7馃槀

I just want to say thank you to you all who have helped me and discussed this topic with me. I am very happy with my purchase.

1 minute ago, Tom and Me said:

Hello to you all who have helped me choose a switch for my keyboard.

I have recently found a sound test video for outemu blues on the k552 and I decided that they were not that loud.

So I ordered it and I tried it out, I really like it. I don鈥檛 notice the spring noise at all because I am wearing headphones 24/7馃槀

I just want to say thank you to you all who have helped me and discussed this topic with me. I am very happy with my purchase.

You got very lucky to get it shipped that fast, never had such luck. Especially during quarantine.

40 minutes ago, nox_ said:

You got very lucky to get it shipped that fast, never had such luck. Especially during quarantine.

I think it took a week or maybe a week and half, but yes I got very lucky with the shipping.