Phil Schiller to step down as VP of Worldwide Marketing

soldier_ph

Summary

Not only has Apple announced new iMac Models today, which you can read up on here, but they also took it to the Apple Newsroom to announce that prominent executive Phil Schiller will departure from VP of Worldwide Marketing to "Apple Fellow". In his new duties he will oversee various aspects of the App Store and Apple's events such as WWDC. Schiller has been with Apple since 1987. Greg Joswiak, one of Schiller's lieutenants and a 20-year Apple veteran, will take over Schiller's prior role and title. He is known as "Joz" in the company and he previously led marketing for some specific Apple products such as the first iPhone and iPod. 

Quotes

-Quote from the Apples Newsroom Press Release-

Cupertino, California — Apple today announced that Phil Schiller will become an Apple Fellow, continuing a storied career that began at Apple in 1987. In this role, which reports to Apple CEO Tim Cook, Schiller will continue to lead the App Store and Apple Events. Greg (Joz) Joswiak, a longtime leader within the Product Marketing organization, will join the executive team as senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.

“Phil has helped make Apple the company it is today and his contributions are broad, vast, and run deep. In this new role he will continue to provide the incredible thought partnership, and guidance that have defined his decades at Apple,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “Joz’s many years of leadership in the Product Marketing organization make him perfectly suited to this new role and will ensure a seamless transition at a moment when the team is engaged in such important and exciting work. I’m thrilled that the whole executive team will benefit from his collaboration, ideas, and energy.”

Schiller has helped guide Apple’s products as well as its marketing for 30 years. He most recently led the effort to plan and execute Apple’s first-ever virtual Worldwide Developers Conference. The event, notable both for its innovative software and hardware announcements as well as its creative and much-praised execution, set a new standard for what virtual events can achieve in the era of COVID-19.

“It has been a dream come true for me to work at Apple, on so many products I love, with all of these great friends — Steve, Tim, and so many more,” said Schiller. “I first started at Apple when I was 27, this year I turned 60 and it is time for some planned changes in my life. I’ll keep working here as long as they will have me, I bleed six colors, but I also want to make some time in the years ahead for my family, friends, and a few personal projects I care deeply about.”

My thoughts

It's cool and interesting to see Phil Schiller staying in the business a little longer, he has done great work and has been with Apple for many years. Even though I'm not really a fan of Apple I will still wish him all the best for his new duties at the Company and his future plans.

Sources

Apple Newsroom Press Release

arstechnica

Also @zeusthemoose

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

There was a head of marketing whose name was Schiller? That’s beautiful. I had a doctor named doctor hazard once.  It was also pretty poetic.  He once misset a broken arm on a girl in my school.  Thing bent at an angle.  I think she eventually had it rebroken and set correctly. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

There was a head of marketing whose name was Schiller? That’s beautiful. I had a doctor named doctor hazard once.  It was also pretty poetic.  He once misset a broken arm on a girl in my school.  Thing bent at an angle.  I think she eventually had it rebroken and set correctly. 

Ouu I had family who once had a surgeon named Dr. Hacker and another who had a Dr. Slaughter.

I think there’s a name for this, but I can’t remember it 😂

on topic: nice to hear he’ll stay around. I was fairly impressed with the online WWDC, so hopefully he can still give some good input

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

6 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

I think there’s a name for this, but I can’t remember it 😂

nominative determinism

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

36 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

nominative determinism

But with last names of Hacker and Slaughter I would be expecting quite different life/career paths than doctors, if you know what I mean 😉