Intel core i7 9700kf high cpu usage

I just built my new pc, here are the parts:
cpu:  Intel core i7 9700kf 3.60GHz, Turbo 4.90GHz, 12mb, LGA1151 8 core 94W Full Unlocked, Coffee Lake S

cpu cooler: be quiet! Shadow rock 3 cpu cooler

ram: Cosair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3200 Mhz
gpu: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 super KO Gaming 8gb GDDR6 14000MHz
MotherBoard: MSI z390-A Pro MB 
Psu: SilverStone 650W strider gold s powersupply
SSD:Crucial P1 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3D NAND SSD CT1000P1SSD8
HDD: No hard drive used.

When running on idle my cpu usage is around 5-10% and temperature is at 40 degrees Celsius. When I run almost any game, the cpu usage jumps to 70-100% and remains there. The games this happens on includes Halo Mastechief collection (all the halo games, halo 1 anniversay, halo 2 anniversary, halo 3, halo reach), Saints row IV, Valorant. On league of legends my cpu usage reaches 60%. My friends who have similar pc builds ( same cpu but 10th gen, rtx 2070 super, 32 gb ram) run valorant at 15% cpu usage and halo at around 20%. I have updated to the lastest BIOS, updated my drivers, updated to the last version of windows (version 2004, the issue was also occuring on version 1909). My gpu usage in most games is at 20% or lower. Any ideas on what else to do.

DDU your graphics drivers and reinstall with a fresh install. Have you been checking CPU usage in Task Manager and filtering with the highest usage for CPU? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

That’s normal. 

A game is designed to use as many resources as possible. 

No hyperthreading is also limiting performance a bit. 

I have been monitoring the cpu usage through task manager and xbox game bar, both show usage to be at 100%, and in task manager it shows the current game running to be at 100%

Just now, gloop said:

That’s normal. 

A game is designed to use as many resources as possible. 

No hyperthreading is also limiting performance a bit. 

If its normal, why don't my friends who have similar or worse builds not experience high cpu usages on the same games with max settings or lower.

2 minutes ago, llthanatosll said:

I have been monitoring the cpu usage through task manager and xbox game bar, both show usage to be at 100%, and in task manager it shows the current game running to be at 100%

No Hyperthreading is causing that. 

Don’t Use Game Bar or Task manager to see usage. 

Use HWInfo64. 

4 minutes ago, llthanatosll said:

same cpu but 10th gen

Just now, llthanatosll said:

If its normal, why don't my friends who have similar or worse builds not experience high cpu usages on the same games with max settings or lower.

Because 10thgen has Hyperthreading. 

1 minute ago, llthanatosll said:

what does task manager show that is using the cpu?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what does task manager show that is using the cpu?

The game that is running, halo valorant saints row etc

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

Because 10thgen has Hyperthreading. 

I have 9th gen, does that also have hyperthreading?

I have 9th gen, does that also have hyperthreading?

No, only the 9900K has it iirc. 

The game that is running, halo valorant saints row etc

Then your probably SOL since there is no hyper threading on your processor as @gloop mentioned. Should have went with an AMD CPU build for the price to get better performance.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Then your probably SOL since there is no hyper threading on your processor as @gloop mentioned. Should have went with an AMD CPU build for the price to get better performance.

but doesn't the 9700k performn better in almost all games than most ryzen chip, and about the same or faster than the 9900k? hyperthreading doesn't seem to add much to games.

check clock speeds to see if not thermal throttling or doing some weird issue.

I think the cpu is fine, and there is some weird issue. Id try a reinstall next.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but doesn't the 9700k performn better in almost all games than most ryzen chip, and about the same or faster than the 9900k? hyperthreading doesn't seem to add much to games.

check clock speeds to see if not thermal throttling or doing some weird issue.

I think the cpu is fine, and there is some weird issue. Id try a reinstall next.

Clock speeds don't mean a lot by today's standards, IPCs do. 

I suggest reinstalling GPU drivers and don't install GeForce Experience. 

the builds of your friends that you describe are really not that similar, as you lack the hyperthreading they have.  In any event, if you're really concerned, you could do a process  dump on the high cpu users while the game is playing and share it here for analyses.  Use the MS tool to do this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procdump

This may or may not contain the answer, but it is a start.

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Clock speeds don't mean a lot by today's standards, IPCs do. 

I suggest reinstalling GPU drivers and don't install GeForce Experience. 

Im worried that something like thermal throttling or simmilar is limiting the clocks to well below where they should be at. CHeck that clocks are a bit above base clock.

13 minutes ago, The I-Cock Plus said:

the builds of your friends that you describe are really not that similar, as you lack the hyperthreading they have.  In any event, if you're really concerned, you could do a process  dump on the high cpu users while the game is playing and share it here for analyses.  Use the MS tool to do this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procdump

This may or may not contain the answer, but it is a start.

how do I use this file, I have launched valorant now, do i just use procdump 64 while in game?

30 minutes ago, llthanatosll said:

Worse builds could mean they are more gpu limited.

32 minutes ago, llthanatosll said:

Maybe they have set an fps cap that you haven't?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

what fps and resolution are the games running at?

lower res = higher fps = higher strain on your CPU

also dont listen to others, people who think just because it doesnt have HT means it's shit needs to step back and rethink about it

it's an 8C/8T CPU that still tops charts in many games

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

32 minutes ago, llthanatosll said:

image.png.b877a680e141425be633ffcbb7122848.png

Does this help with clock speed information?

is that in a game? What teps are you running at?

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

lower res = higher fps = higher strain on your CPU

also dont listen to others, people who think just because it doesnt have HT means it's shit needs to step back and rethink about it

it's an 8C/8T CPU that still tops charts in many games

I'm running the games at max settings which is also the optimised option through Geforce Experience.

I also just did a ddu and installed the latest drivers and the issue is still there

I'm running the games at max settings which is also the optimised option through Geforce Experience.

I also just did a ddu and installed the latest drivers and the issue is still there

1080p 240fps?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

is that in a game? What teps are you running at?

no, thats just when idle/having a few chrome tabs open and discord.
when idle im running around 40-45 degrees celsium and in game around 60-65 degrees celsius (normally towards the lower end)