New headphones below $300

iceballfunela

oh really? didn't know that.. So is it more power efficient than the HE 500?

89 (500) vs 92.5 (400) dB sensitivity ratings, yes

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Audio Technica ATH-M50X. they go for about $160.00 when on sale. If you want the first generation, ATH-M50's, they go for about $100.00 when on sale. They both sound REALLY good. If you want to spend more, get the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's, they are REALLY good.

Normally I would agree with you as an owner of a pair of M50's but with OP's price range he could go for a pair of 598's or Custom One Pro's

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Normally I would agree with you as an owner of a pair of M50's but with OP's price range he could go for a pair of 598's or Custom One Pro's

Of those three headphones only one represents a good value. The M50(x) and 598's are both over priced. 

Of those three headphones only one represents a good value. The M50(x) and 598's are both over priced.

If you can get the M50's on sale for about $100 they are a good value. That's how I got mine. They aren't as bad as everyone else makes them out to be.

The Lord's Prayer

If you can get the M50's on sale for about $100 they are a good value. That's how I got mine. They aren't as bad as everyone else makes them out to be.

But they cost $150, so they aren't. Its not a matter of "ifs," its a matter of "is" and "are."

(With disregard to the fact that even for $100 there are better options) 

But they cost $150, so they aren't. Its not a matter of "ifs," its a matter of "is" and "are."

(With disregard to the fact that even for $100 there are better options)

It's all a matter of opinion.

The Lord's Prayer

It's all a matter of opinion.

Not really, you can get something better then the M50x with the same features, for $100. Its a bad value. 

Not really, you can get something better then the M50x with the same features, for $100. Its a bad value. 

But all the cool kids have M50's...

But all the cool kids have M50's...

I have both flavors and am far from it. 

Audio is something that is more subjective than objective. The M50's are NOT a bad option and they aren't the best option either. I have had an excellent experience with mine and I cannot find a reason not to recommend them.

The Lord's Prayer

Audio is something that is more subjective than objective. The M50's are NOT a bad option and they aren't the best option either. I have had an excellent experience with mine and I cannot find a reason not to recommend them.

Even objectively they are a mediocre product. While they don't do anything wrong other then being overpriced, they don't do anything right either. 

Bass is only good through a recession of the mids and the treble runs away and does as it pleases. They ARE uncomfortable unless you have a tiny head and ears. And they non-detachable cable isn't really a draw back, but similarly (And a few cheaper) priced options have one, so thats a thing.

Meanwhile the SRH440 is more tonally balanced, more comfortable, and has a detachable cable, while only costing $100.

And years before the M50 to present, the 7506 and V6 is a better professional product. 

Even objectively they are a mediocre product. While they don't do anything wrong other then being overpriced, they don't do anything right either.

Bass is only good through a recession of the mids and the treble runs away and does as it pleases. They ARE uncomfortable unless you have a tiny head and ears. And they non-detachable cable isn't really a draw back, but similarly (And a few cheaper) priced options have one, so thats a thing.

Meanwhile the SRH440 is more tonally balanced, more comfortable, and has a detachable cable, while only costing $100.

And years before the M50 to present, the 7506 and V6 is a better professional product.

That is your opinion on the experience. Everyone will have a slightly different experience. I am sorry you had such a poor experience with them.

The Lord's Prayer

That is your opinion on the experience. Everyone will have a slightly different experience.

Haven't meet a person that looks back on their M50's with a good taste in their mouth after moving to legitimately better headphones. 

M50 is a gateway headphone, so everyone thinks its god, after they move on they find out how bad it was.

Haven't meet a person that looks back on their M50's with a good taste in their mouth after moving to legitimately better headphones.

M50 is a gateway headphone, so everyone thinks its god, after they move on they find out how bad it was.

I am not placing the stigma that they are the be all and end all. There are much better options out there but I am content with my experience and happy with the price I paid for them.

The Lord's Prayer

I am not placing the stigma that they are the be all and end all. There are much better options out there but I am content with my experience and happy with the price I paid for them.

And I am stating that there are better options for the price or less for every use case. And through that they should not be recommended.

I didn't pay a cent for mine or the M50x, and I still dislike both (More or less) equally. 

That's probably the only point that holds me in the "M50 is trash" camp. I've never known anyone that prefers an M50 after trying many other good headphones.

That's probably the only point that holds me in the "M50 is trash" camp. I've never known anyone that prefers an M50 after trying many other good headphones.

Besides that, I just hate how they sound. Well talking about them objectively I give a fair assessment, but I just hate everything about how they sound.

The Denon AH-D600 is for sale on amazon for around $270 right now, 25 ohm impedence and mine sound great, good bass but not completely overpowering

You can add me to that club lol. I just got my pair of M50 back from USPS after the guy that bought mine a month ago gave me the wrong address and USPS returned it to me a month later. I have no idea what to do now because the buyer isn't replying to my emails. *shrug*