14 hour gaming sessions.

cubies1982

Have you ever throttled a brand new graphics card? I don't mean in terms of bottle necking but for gaming. I'm curious what would happen if you just gamed all day regardless of your GPUs temperature and fan speed. I know bit miners will use a graphics card 24/7 and they have a short life expectancy right? What happens then, do they get a new GPU and go bit mining again with a renewed warranty. I've always been scared while gaming on ultra or using a shader in Minecraft because my GPU gets so hot and so loud but if I have a two year warranty maybe I should stop caring and just enjoy the pretty graphics.

What are your thoughts on having two of the same graphics card so if one is sent for repair you can switch out the other and continue gaming while waiting.

1 minute ago, tank234 said:

well do you know how hot your gpu gets under load? 

Around 60 to 80 degrees.

Dont worry about the graphics card. Using it for 14hr gaming sessions will lower the life expectancy but not by that much. What are the temps of the gpu?

Dont buy a second graphics card just so you have a second in the slim chance you need to rma, its a waste of money.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Just now, zeusthemoose said:

Dont worry about the graphics card. Using it for 14hr gaming sessions will lower the life expectancy but not by that much. What are the temps of the gpu?

Dont buy a second graphics card just so you have a second in the slim chance you need to rma, its a waste of money.

Lets say I'm gaming for 10,220 hours over a two year span and avering temperatures around 60 to 80 degrees.

1 minute ago, cubies1982 said:

Around 60 to 80 degrees.

You should be fine with those temps. Mining gpu run 24/7 on full power where as when you are playing games it is not always sitting at 100% usage so you should be fine with one gpu. 

2 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

Around 60 to 80 degrees.

Assuming you're using a fairly modern GPU, those temps are perfectly safe even for 24/7 use.

Air cooled graphics cards will reach thermal equilibrium quite quickly, so say if the GPU is running at 80C after 10 minutes, it'll likely still run at 80C after an hour, or more (without taking into account factors like ambient temps).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

8 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

I know bit miners will use a graphics card 24/7 and they have a short life expectancy right?

this point is often a misconception

miners will often run their card at lower voltages to be more efficient, lower voltages also means lower temps and lower chance of electron migration, leading to longer lifespan

also less thermal cycling

edit: there are also dumb miners who push their card to the extreme too, they do exist but they probably dont know wtf they're doing

8 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

What are your thoughts on having two of the same graphics card so if one is sent for repair you can switch out the other and continue gaming while waiting.

sounds like a waste of money tbh...

4 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

Around 60 to 80 degrees.

sounds fine

i used to have 12h gaming sessions and my computer is fine, just make sure nothing overheats and it should run be able to run without a problem

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

I think it makes absolutely no sense. In essence you'd be paying twice the price for a graphics card in the off chance it breaks and you absolutely can't wait for a replacement...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

GPUs are built to run until failure at 100% utilization within the specifications of the card.  What that failure is, could be a great many things but it wont be "because I ran it for to long"

Been running Radeon VII's for mining for almost a year straight, if you catch my drift - it doesn't matter

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I think it makes absolutely no sense. In essence you'd be paying twice the price for a graphics card in the off chance it breaks and you absolutely can't wait for a replacement...

I can't wait I'm addicted

Feels like I've lost a limb lol

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

GPUs are built to run until failure at 100% utilization within the specifications of the card.  What that failure is, could be a great many things but it wont be "because I ran it for to long"

Been running Radeon VII's for mining for almost a year straight, if you catch my drift - it doesn't matter

I'm always scared my GPU will explode or the plastic will start melting lol

I'm always scared my GPU will explode or the plastic will start melting lol

Keep it within specification, and it wont.  If it gets to hot, your PC will shut itself off before something explodes.  Melting can happen if you are using shitty adapters to power the GPU however.  So if you run a GPU for extended periods of time, using shit adapters to get the correct power connections to it (I.E. sata to 6 pin) yeah you will probably have an issue.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I've done at least 14 hour gaming sessions with my card but with a custom fan curve and overriding the zero RPM for it, I get anywhere from 50-65 Celsius while playing World of Tanks right now..Without the fan curve, its 65 and up. 

Having a right fan curve for all fans in your system and on your GPU will extend the life of components to a degree but upgrades come sooner than the EOL/non-functioning of a component. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

16 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

Lets say I'm gaming for 10,220 hours over a two year span and avering temperatures around 60 to 80 degrees.

Like other have said, it should be fine. I wouldn’t worry about it and I definitely wouldn’t buy a 2nd graphics card as a backup.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

5 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Keep it within specification, and it wont.  If it gets to hot, your PC will shut itself off before something explodes.  Melting can happen if you are using shitty adapters to power the GPU however.  So if you run a GPU for extended periods of time, using shit adapters to get the correct power connections to it (I.E. sata to 6 pin) yeah you will probably have an issue.

Alright thanks. I'll try to.condition myself to ignore the heat coming from the GPU and the fan noise.

7 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I've done at least 14 hour gaming sessions with my card but with a custom fan curve and overriding the zero RPM for it, I get anywhere from 50-65 Celsius while playing World of Tanks right now..Without the fan curve, its 65 and up. 

Having a right fan curve for all fans in your system and on your GPU will extend the life of components to a degree but upgrades come sooner than the EOL/non-functioning of a component. 

Sorry, but is a fan curve using PWM fans?

6 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

Sorry, but is a fan curve using PWM fans?

Well I have both regular 3 pin fans and PWM fans but the only PWMs I have are on my Noctua NH-D15 set through BIOS fan configuration. Fan curves. can be set using degrees/voltage. For example, I can set my 200mm intake for a CPU temperature of 50 degrees at 65 percent fan speed. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Well I have both regular 3 pin fans and PWM fans but the only PWMs I have are on my Noctua NH-D15 set through BIOS fan configuration.

What formula do you use to calculate the PWM fan speeds in the BIOS?

What formula do you use to calculate the PWM fan speeds in the BIOS?

My BIOS gave me an option between PWM and 3 pin fans, just a click on a circle button for each fan header. Overall, I did at least a 2 Volt delta on intakes versus exhaust to create a positive air pressure inside the case, meaning for my fan at 75 degree CPU temperature, the motherboard will send 12V to the 200mm intake while for exhaust at 75  degree CPU temperature, the other 200/140mm fans will run only at 10V from the motherboard. (This works because on my PSU dust filter, I see dust caught on the inside of the case, meaning air is being blown out through the dust filter as I do not have my PSU positioned downward as I can't screw it in with the fan facing downwards). 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

My BIOS gave me an option between PWM and 3 pin fans, just a click on a circle button for each fan header. Overall, I did at least a 2 Volt delta on intakes versus exhaust to create a positive air pressure inside the case, meaning for my fan at 75 degree CPU temperature, the motherboard will send 12V to the 200mm intake while for exhaust at 75  degree CPU temperature, the other 200/140mm fans will run only at 10V from the motherboard. (This works because on my PSU dust filter, I see dust caught on the inside of the case, meaning air is being blown out through the dust filter as I do not have my PSU positioned downward as I can't screw it in with the fan facing downwards). 

Sounds sophisticated.

Just now, cubies1982 said:

Sounds sophisticated.

A little bit, I based it off the specs from the manufacturer's for CFM and although it may never reach its expected value due to restrictions such as dust filters/mesh/ HDD cages etc. I do have a piece of paper with the values and what each fan is as (system 1 is exhaust rear etc.) I set the fans at in case of BIOS update or new build. 

I don't want to confuse you with how I do my fan curves but its best to experiment with setting one up. 

I generally either cap the frame rate or down clock the GPU these days, to keep the noise and heat down.

I really don't need the extra frame rate, as long its over 60 i am good...

So if i had the attention span to play games for 14 hours i wouldn't be worried that much about shortening the life of the card.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

1 hour ago, grayperview said:

I generally either cap the frame rate or down clock the GPU these days, to keep the noise and heat down.

I really don't need the extra frame rate, as long its over 60 i am good...

So if i had the attention span to play games for 14 hours i wouldn't be worried that much about shortening the life of the card.

Are you capping games at 60 FPS on a 60 hertz refresh rate monitor?

1 hour ago, cubies1982 said:

Are you capping games at 60 FPS on a 60 hertz refresh rate monitor?

No, my monitor is 144hz freesync so basically anything above 60 is really smooth, some games i will cap at 60, mainly though i tune the card to run cool and quiet at around 1850-70mhz, rather than the 2050-2100mhz (won silicon lottery it seems) it runs at out of the box. Most of the games i play run above 100fps at 1080p which i am happy with, when i Sim race i on triple screen i cap the frame rate at 60 though.

I have the Power color red dragon, and it runs hot and loud without the down clock, although stable.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----