Is this psu powerful enough?

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
2 hours ago, Coroiu Eduard said:

Hello, I want to upgrade my computer from an i3-7100 specs to an i5-9400 specs and I would like to know if my power supply is powerful enough to handle it.

It is a 210W psu from Huntkey (stock Lenovo psu) photo of the sticker on it here

Two things.

The i5 9400 is not compatible with your motherboard. 7th Gen and 9th gen use different motherboard chipsets. You would also need to buy a new 300 chipset series motherboard if you're planning on changing CPUs to a 9th gen. Since you're buying a new motherboard you would be better off looking at 10th Gen Intel CPUs or AMD ryzen - unless you've found a good deal on a second hand 9th gen CPU and compatible motherboard.

You could look at some used i5 or i7 7th Gen CPUs and keep your current motherboard, but they're often over priced and not as good as more modern CPUs.

Secondly that power supply is 12V only, which means that your current motherboard is not a standard ATX compatible motherboard and won't work with a normal ATX Power supply.

Depending on the form factor and case you might also need to replace the case or do some modding to get a standard ATX board to fit, though that might be as simple as drilling holes for new stand offs.

2 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

the thing is, PSUs are meant to run at no more than 75% capacity. 

Not true.

Hello, I want to upgrade my computer from an i3-7100 specs to an i5-9400 specs and I would like to know if my power supply is powerful enough to handle it.

It is a 210W psu from Huntkey (stock Lenovo psu) photo of the sticker on it here

My specs are:

(Hopefully soon) i5-9400 CPU @ 4.1Ghz rated for 65W base-clock so lets say it uses 75 - 80W under full load

RTX 550 2GB (using the software-overclock from the Radeon Adrenalin 2020 software but I can turn it off since it makes about a 3fps difference in GTAV and nothing for games like JC3 & JC4 or even Minecraft) and is rated for 50W

1x 8GB Maxwell 2133Mhz RAM stick

1x 8GB Corshair 2600Mhz (running at 2133Mhz) RAM stick

An hdd, 2x nvme ssd,1x sata ssd and a couple of connected devices so maybe max 50 - 60W? I really need some help in figuring out if it is enough since I don't want to fry the psu or pretty much anything in the PC, so, any help is very much appreciated.

My PC is a Lenovo IdeaCentre 510-15IKL and everything that came with it is still in there (motherboard, one 8gb ram stick, the 1tb hdd, etc)

Thanks for reading this. If you think you can help, even just a little, please leave a comment since I really do not want to fry any components and any bit of help is very much appreciated.

If I am not completely dumb it should be ok and consume around 200W.

Please tell me if I am wrong, which I am probably am.

the thing is, PSUs are meant to run at no more than 75% capacity.  So, no, not powerful enough.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

1 minute ago, shoutingsteve said:

the thing is, PSUs are meant to run at no more than 75% capacity.  So, no, not powerful enough.

Ok, thanks

1 hour ago, shoutingsteve said:

Good PSUs are meant to run at 100% capacity 100% of the time.

I guess you're just used to crappy PSUs.

1 hour ago, Coroiu Eduard said:

Unless you overclock, the new CPU shouldn't use any more power than the original.  You're fine.

2 hours ago, Coroiu Eduard said:

Two things.

The i5 9400 is not compatible with your motherboard. 7th Gen and 9th gen use different motherboard chipsets. You would also need to buy a new 300 chipset series motherboard if you're planning on changing CPUs to a 9th gen. Since you're buying a new motherboard you would be better off looking at 10th Gen Intel CPUs or AMD ryzen - unless you've found a good deal on a second hand 9th gen CPU and compatible motherboard.

You could look at some used i5 or i7 7th Gen CPUs and keep your current motherboard, but they're often over priced and not as good as more modern CPUs.

Secondly that power supply is 12V only, which means that your current motherboard is not a standard ATX compatible motherboard and won't work with a normal ATX Power supply.

Depending on the form factor and case you might also need to replace the case or do some modding to get a standard ATX board to fit, though that might be as simple as drilling holes for new stand offs.

2 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

the thing is, PSUs are meant to run at no more than 75% capacity. 

Not true.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, Coroiu Eduard said:

i3-7100 specs to an i5-9400 specs

Technically wattage wise it's enough. 

But you can't since the board does not support coffee lake. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Unless you overclock, the new CPU shouldn't use any more power than the original.  You're fine.

The thing is that the 7th gen i3 uses 51W and the 9th gen i5 uses 65. It says that it's at base clock. I am worried that if it turbos up to 4.1Ghz it'll fry the psu since I don't really know if lenovo stock power supplies are good... They probably should be ok enough..

2 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Technically wattage wise it's enough. 

But you can't since the board does not support coffee lake. 

I have another motherboard that is almost identical and supports it.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Two things.

Not true.

I have a compatible motherboard that is identical (recommended by lenovo) and supports 9th gen CPUs and consumes 1 watt more.

I found a good deal on a new i5-9400 and an ever better deal for a i5-9400f but I still like to think that if my GPU breaks I'll still be able to use the computer. (cuz F - No Integrated Graphics)

I do some light to medium gaming, office stuff and browse the internet (yt included) so I think that it would be ok to go with a 9th gen for now and start thinking of an upgrade when the 13th - 14th gen releases since it will still be good enough. (not planning on maxing out the settings)

Thanks for the reply. 

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Some PSUs are made for 260W and say that they are 210W so that they have some power spare just in case.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:53 AM, Spotty said:

Not true.

I do not encourage you to run a multi-tap transformer at full capacity for more than a few hours without submersive cooling.  The drop, especially along the 3 volt output, will fizzle out as the windings in near the core become oxidized from the heat.
Now, that isn't to say that better brands don't build in a safety by putting 800 watt labels on 1000 watt PSUs, but cheap brands certainly aren't giving away that copper.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...