Fractal Design Focus G or Cougar MX330?

marbled

Hi,

I've been playing around with a new build and have these two cases in mind. The Cougar MX330 is slightly cheaper (£38.89 in the UK vs £46.99 for the Fractal case) , but only has one built in fan vs two for the Fractal Design Focus G. On the other hand the cougar has a PSU shroud which the Fractal Design Focus lacks. My priorities in a case would be:

1. Easy to build in - I've only built 1 PC before which was years ago so want it to be simple

2. Good ventilation and dust protection

3. As quiet as possible

I really don't care about the looks and would have happily gone for a windowless case but all the windowless cases at that price point get bad reviews. I'd buy an extra fan (looking at the Arctic F12) for either case to have good airflow through it. Has anyone built in either case? Any arguments to be made for/against either of them?

For dust protection and as quiet as possible in that price area you can take a look at the corsair 110Q.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

8 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

110Q

What?! That's a terrible case. 

42 minutes ago, marbled said:

Good ventilation and dust protection

3. As quiet as possible

I'm not familiar with the cougar case. But fr the looks of it, it seems like it does have a mesh from panel. 

The focus g is also pretty decent.  

What's your budget for a case exactly? I would go with the focus g imo. But as I said, I'm not familiar with the courage one sadly. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

21 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'm not familiar with the cougar case. But fr the looks of it, it seems like it does have a mesh from panel. 

The focus g is also pretty decent.  

What's your budget for a case exactly? I would go with the focus g imo. But as I said, I'm not familiar with the courage one sadly. 

Hi thanks for this. I'd be looking at sub £50 for the case (could go a little higher if it meant I wouldn't need to buy an extra fan) so the Fractal would be in the upper end of my price bracket. Good to know it's decent.

2 minutes ago, marbled said:

so the Fractal would be in the upper end of my price bracket. Good to know it's decent.

I mean the cougar case could very well be good as well. 

You can watch a video reviewing it as well. But the focus g is pretty good. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

28 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Well, the 110Q has sound insulation as an advantage.
But sure, air flow could be better.

I noticed that the cougar has a PSU cover while in the focus g you can see the PSU and all the cables.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

5 hours ago, marbled said:

I really don't care about the looks and would have happily gone for a windowless case but all the windowless cases at that price point get bad reviews. I'd buy an extra fan (looking at the Arctic F12) for either case to have good airflow through it. Has anyone built in either case? Any arguments to be made for/against either of them?

The MX330 has a windowless version, the MX330-X. Depending on the day you look at it though, it might be more expensive than the regular though :/ i also dont know if it's available in the EU/UK or not.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811553030

The MX330 is a very solid choice for a first time build, just ask @Tristerin who has bought..... Four? for multiple projects. The Focus G is also solid dueto it coming with 2 decently quiet fans out of the box, and while it doesnt come with a PSU shroud, that doesnt mean it's impossible to make look good just takes more effort. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

33 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The MX330 has a windowless version, the MX330-X. Depending on the day you look at it though, it might be more expensive than the regular though :/ i also dont know if it's available in the EU/UK or not.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811553030

The MX330 is a very solid choice for a first time build, just ask @Tristerin who has bought..... Four? for multiple projects. The Focus G is also solid dueto it coming with 2 decently quiet fans out of the box, and while it doesnt come with a PSU shroud, that doesnt mean it's impossible to make look good just takes more effort. 

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah sadly it looks like the MX330-X isn't available in the UK at the moment but will keep an eye on it. I think I'll plan to either buy the MX330 with two extra fans, or the Focus G with one extra fan, and go for whichever is cheaper!

Thanks for the input re the cases though, that's good to know.

1 hour ago, marbled said:

Yeah sadly it looks like the MX330-X isn't available in the UK at the moment but will keep an eye on it. I think I'll plan to either buy the MX330 with two extra fans, or the Focus G with one extra fan, and go for whichever is cheaper!

Thanks for the input re the cases though, that's good to know.

I am absolutely pleased with the Cougar MX330 series.  The features they are missing is some dummy USB ports (if you want you can populate, but they come with tear-a-way blanks) on the top that aren't usable in its current form, and rubber grommets around the cable management cut outs.

I was getting them in the $40 price range.  If I need an ATX case, because Im an airflow minded person, and Cougar MX series is within that prize point - Id buy it in a heartbeat.

DIYPC has a similar option but their front bezel has more restricted airflow.  Near identical interior to the Cougar MX sans fan mounts for above PSU - may have it in your area...but again I don't have experience with this case in particular.  I DO have brand new DIYPC cases under the bed waiting to be used, and will say they are on the cheaper end as you would expect but Im not unimpressed with them compared to what I paid.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353170?Description=DIYPC&cm_re=DIYPC-_-11-353-170-_-Product

EDIT - I read the OP and have one more comment - go with a basement unless you somehow need that space.  I used to have a basement in my CoolerMaster case but modded it out...and regret.  Just sayin

EDIT 2 - I would go with Arctic P12's - I use them in every build.  I have some of the F series, and they aren't bad, but the P's are just better all around for intake and exhaust especially where there may be restriction (F series is airflow series, large cone of air - P series is pressure optimized series, straight line winds best way to explain it)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

I am absolutely pleased with the Cougar MX330 series.  The features they are missing is some dummy USB ports (if you want you can populate, but they come with tear-a-way blanks) on the top that aren't usable in its current form, and rubber grommets around the cable management cut outs.

I was getting them in the $40 price range.  If I need an ATX case, because Im an airflow minded person, and Cougar MX series is within that prize point - Id buy it in a heartbeat.

DIYPC has a similar option but their front bezel has more restricted airflow.  Near identical interior to the Cougar MX sans fan mounts for above PSU - may have it in your area...but again I don't have experience with this case in particular.  I DO have brand new DIYPC cases under the bed waiting to be used, and will say they are on the cheaper end as you would expect but Im not unimpressed with them compared to what I paid.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353170?Description=DIYPC&cm_re=DIYPC-_-11-353-170-_-Product

EDIT - I read the OP and have one more comment - go with a basement unless you somehow need that space.  I used to have a basement in my CoolerMaster case but modded it out...and regret.  Just sayin

EDIT 2 - I would go with Arctic P12's - I use them in every build.  I have some of the F series, and they aren't bad, but the P's are just better all around for intake and exhaust especially where there may be restriction (F series is airflow series, large cone of air - P series is pressure optimized series, straight line winds best way to explain it)

Hi thanks for this! Ok that's really good to know I'll keep the Cougar case as my preferred option then. A couple more questions if you have time:

• Are the standard P12s ok? They're the same price as the F12s in the UK but I see there are also Silent fans for about 40% more or PWM PST fans for double the price?
  • As you'll know the MX 330 comes with the pre-installed rear fan. If I'm looking at running a 3300X/3600 and a 5600 XT (or the equivalent next gen models depending on what comes out later in the year), and not planning to overclock, would you say I'd need more than 1x Arctic P12 at the front?

I don't really know anything about airflow to be honest so need to look into how the air would move through the case but would be good to know whether I should have 1x P12 or 2x P12s on my part list, and whether the standard P12s are ok.

Thanks again for the help.

22 minutes ago, marbled said:

Hi thanks for this! Ok that's really good to know I'll keep the Cougar case as my preferred option then. A couple more questions if you have time:

• Are the standard P12s ok? They're the same price as the F12s in the UK but I see there are also Silent fans for about 40% more or PWM PST fans for double the price?
  • As you'll know the MX 330 comes with the pre-installed rear fan. If I'm looking at running a 3300X/3600 and a 5600 XT (or the equivalent next gen models depending on what comes out later in the year), and not planning to overclock, would you say I'd need more than 1x Arctic P12 at the front?

I don't really know anything about airflow to be honest so need to look into how the air would move through the case but would be good to know whether I should have 1x P12 or 2x P12s on my part list, and whether the standard P12s are ok.

Thanks again for the help.

Not a problem at all:

I only have hands on experience with Arctic P and F series, not their silent series.  As for the F series vs P series sound...Arctic measures their sound in Sone, which is best described as "how comfortable to the human ears is that sound" - I have 14 running next to me (two towers) when Im at home - its a mild low tone that is not loud or bothersome at all.  I can just barely tell the PCs are on (running full blast as well).  Most motherboards can fan control over DC so PWM is great, but as long as you don't drive the fan below the lowest voltage to operator DC (3 pin, vs 4 pin PWM) which is typically 40-50% speed min before it just wont power on.  I have no real comment on that as I don't care if a fan is PWM or DC anymore

The MX 330 pre installed rear fan I actually think is a fine fan.  I don't think its branded but it was good enough I slapped 120mm AIO on it and the temps were no different then a CoolerMaster Static Pressure fan that came with the AIO.

I always elect to fill all fan slots, so I can run them slower, but achieve great airflow vs sound - or run them full tilt for best thermals.  I have to say, I would prefer 2 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust on these cases, and if you get the side panel version with a fan placement - you can run up to 200mm fan here which I recommend as well (just note, if you use a 120mm AIO at rear exhaust it blocks the use of a 200mm fan - but can still fit a 140mm or lower)

Personally I don't buy arctic fans in singles, I only get the value packs.  Where I am at its typically 5 Arctic P12's for $27 shipped when the price is right (US based, between Ebay, Amazon, or Newegg if I bide my time I can get it at that price point).

From my understanding of what I have used - I have standard P12's, not silent, and they are not loud lol.  I describe them as a pleasant sound

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

17 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Hi, sorry one more question after all - I was watching a build guide video and the presenter mentioned about making sure the motherboard has enough fan connectors for the number of fans you put in the case.

I'm looking at putting an ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard into the Cougar MX 330. It looks like the motherboard has only 2x chassis fan connectors - 1x 4 pin and 1x 3 pin. I can see that the Arctic P12 has a 3x pin connector - does this mean I could only attach 1x of them to this motherboard?

Also, do you know if the case fan is a 4 pin or a 3 pin?

Hi, sorry one more question after all - I was watching a build guide video and the presenter mentioned about making sure the motherboard has enough fan connectors for the number of fans you put in the case.

I'm looking at putting an ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard into the Cougar MX 330. It looks like the motherboard has only 2x chassis fan connectors - 1x 4 pin and 1x 3 pin. I can see that the Arctic P12 has a 3x pin connector - does this mean I could only attach 1x of them to this motherboard?

Also, do you know if the case fan is a 4 pin or a 3 pin?

Not at home atm, but iirc its a 3 pin case fan in the rear but can look tonight (will try to remember if not hit me up here in about 12 hours)

3 pin fan connectors absolutely can connect to 4 pin fan headers.  

Rule of thumb is 3 fans can connect to 1 fan header, if you are using a splitter (no additional power added) no problem.  Sleeved splitters on ebay are a couple bucks.  Fan hubs (powered, either sata or molex) can hold as many fans as the hub states.  You just connect the hub to 1 fan header on mobo (so you can control all the fans connected to the hub) then the power from the PSU and connect your fans to the hub.  I use both, depending on the situation.  

I mounted a fan hub on the SSD side mounting on the cougar case so you couldn't see it (using zip ties) and ran my fans cables behind the mobo tray, for example

In my personal rig however I use splitters (larger case, so not all fan cables can reach a singular hub) that are sleeved for good looks.

BUT

Note that I think you are reading something wrong - there are 5 4 pin fan headers on that board (1 CPU fan header, 1 CPU pump header - which can support fans no problem -, 1 rear exhaust header, 3 headers at bottom right of board.  And 4 of those headers per the specs can support more than 3 fans per splitter (but you likely wont need splitters)

I love these boards btw, best budget performer out on the market imho, I have a B450 Pro4 and push it to the utter limits in overclocking and it chews through it no problem.

headers.PNG

22 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Not at home atm, but iirc its a 3 pin case fan in the rear but can look tonight (will try to remember if not hit me up here in about 12 hours)

3 pin fan connectors absolutely can connect to 4 pin fan headers.  

Rule of thumb is 3 fans can connect to 1 fan header, if you are using a splitter (no additional power added) no problem.  Sleeved splitters on ebay are a couple bucks.  Fan hubs (powered, either sata or molex) can hold as many fans as the hub states.  You just connect the hub to 1 fan header on mobo (so you can control all the fans connected to the hub) then the power from the PSU and connect your fans to the hub.  I use both, depending on the situation.  

I mounted a fan hub on the SSD side mounting on the cougar case so you couldn't see it (using zip ties) and ran my fans cables behind the mobo tray, for example

In my personal rig however I use splitters (larger case, so not all fan cables can reach a singular hub) that are sleeved for good looks.

BUT

Note that I think you are reading something wrong - there are 5 4 pin fan headers on that board (1 CPU fan header, 1 CPU pump header - which can support fans no problem -, 1 rear exhaust header, 3 headers at bottom right of board.  And 4 of those headers per the specs can support more than 3 fans per splitter (but you likely wont need splitters)

I love these boards btw, best budget performer out on the market imho, I have a B450 Pro4 and push it to the utter limits in overclocking and it chews through it no problem.

headers.PNG

Ah I think I see what's happened - I had selected the B450M Pro4-f motherboard which has fewer fan headers. However, the price difference is only about £6 and that's barely more than a fan splitter would cost me so I'll just switch to the B450M Pro4 and connect the fans directly. 

Ah I think I see what's happened - I had selected the B450M Pro4-f motherboard which has fewer fan headers. However, the price difference is only about £6 and that's barely more than a fan splitter would cost me so I'll just switch to the B450M Pro4 and connect the fans directly. 

Doh I didn't note the F variant, my apologies but yes if that's the price diff get the board with more features :)