Google Unlimited Photo Backup Catch???

I just found out google will keep an unlimited amount of my photos at high quality (which is 16mp, more than enough google told me) on the cloud? whats the catch?

i have thousands of photos how can google servers afford to keep photos for us for free and whats in it for them? is there something i missed?

If the product is free, you're the product.

It's either privacy, or them just waiting to monetize this platform that they're profiting off.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There would be a variety of direct and indirect benefits.  They may learn from your data to sell to advertisers.  They may use the photos to train AI projects which will help them in the long term.  They may hope that your use of that service makes you more likely to use their other services or products which themselves are subject to these same benefits (and of course, in the case of a phone for example, just straight up profit as you buy it).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

remember that google photos its tied to ur google account storage its like icloud photos that integrate everything in your cloud account that is hosted on their servers so when u ran out the free space they expect u to pay to them to host ur data 

4 minutes ago, Lesantir_12 said:

remember that google photos its tied to ur google account storage its like icloud photos that integrate everything in your cloud account that is hosted on their servers so when u ran out the free space they expect u to pay to them to host ur data 

nope this is a different thing

this is literally unlimited amount of photos for free.

the system work like this google gives u free 15 gb of storage that is tied to your  google account that means if you use the services like gmail and google drive and u ran out of space and still want to use it They Expect U To Pay Them 

1 minute ago, Lesantir_12 said:

the system work like this google gives u free 15 gb of storage that is tied to your  google account that means if you use the services like gmail and google drive and u ran out of space and still want to use it They Expect U To Pay Them 

no theres a different thing im talking about where u can upload unlimited photos WITHOUT it using up your storage

1 minute ago, Lesantir_12 said:

Unless you bought a Pixel (I think 1, 2 or 3) and you got unlimited storage for all your photos, which is probably what he did.

also if anyone knows about this its only done 1gb out of the 8gb worth of photos ive got for some reason

Just now, Senzelian said:

Unless you bought a Pixel (I think 1, 2 or 3) and you got unlimited storage for all your photos, which is probably what he did.

no it happens on ALL phones now i got a oneplus 7t pro

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

also if anyone knows about this its only done 1gb out of the 8gb worth of photos ive got for some reason

If it's the same as with the Pixel promotion, then only photos that are taken by your phone don't use any storage.

If you upload them from your PC or camera, they still take up storage.

Just now, The Torrent said:

no it happens on ALL phones now i got a oneplus 7t pro

Maybe OnePlus had a similar promotion or something. Haven't had a OnePlus for many years.

18 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Nope. If you install google photos on any android phone, you can upload all your photos with reduced quality to google. If you decide to use your google drive storage, you get to upload at original quality.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

38 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

If it's the same as with the Pixel promotion, then only photos that are taken by your phone don't use any storage.

If you upload them from your PC or camera, they still take up storage.

Maybe OnePlus had a similar promotion or something. Haven't had a OnePlus for many years.

nope its changed now. you can even upload them from your computer

23 minutes ago, Levent said:

Nope. If you install google photos on any android phone, you can upload all your photos with reduced quality to google. If you decide to use your google drive storage, you get to upload at original quality.

reduced hardly tho. like im amazed at what this compression is doing.

to answer my own question, my theory is they are doing this to test compression techniques, managing to even get 20mb images look close to the same at 1mb.

i mean some guy as 10k photos its like 10gb which is nothing to them.

Unless something has changed, Google Photos has part in ToS about you giving platform owner and partners they choose to use your photos without additional consent. This is the reason why I took my photos off Google. And why I'm still looking new home for them (probably host them myself).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv