Will we be able to use our smartphones as externals GPU at some point?

When I compare how PUBG runs on a 400€ Snapdragon 865 smartphone VS how it runs on a similarly priced laptop, I can't help but think: "damn, if only I could plug the damn thing to my laptop and play games like that".

I'm quite clueless to the more complex, advanced sides of tech though, so l'm sure there are my reasons why this isn't a thing...yet?

Nope. That is by far a lot more work than just using your phone as a computer. I am not even sure if GPU passthrough is a thing on any ARM based device (yet).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

13 minutes ago, 7412 said:

When I compare how PUBG runs on a 400€ Snapdragon 865 smartphone VS how it runs on a similarly priced laptop, I can't help but think: "damn, if only I could plug the damn thing to my laptop and play games like that".

PUBG on phones and on pc are very diffrent from each other. from the way things look to how they perform.

It runs better on mobile since the game is optimized for phones with much worse hardware compared to a laptop but with a downside, worse graphics. While the PC edition of the game is not as much debloated as the other.

So basically using your phone as a external gpu wouldnt do anything but give you worse fps than your laptops gpu. And if phones really was that fast and good then laptops would also probably have something better anyways, since they got more power cooling capacity.

Tho you can play the mobile version on your pc. And it will performe waaay better than the OG pc version, since you know - its the debloated phone version. And its even FREE!

https://lite.pubg.com/

34 minutes ago, 7412 said:

I'm quite clueless to the more complex, advanced sides of tech though, so l'm sure there are my reasons why this isn't a thing...yet?

If anything, we will be able to show phone output on a laptop before we can do what you suggested.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

36 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Nope, and also there's an entirely different scale going on here. Your desktop GPU can utilize several GB's of space to display better models and textures on higher resolution screens, where as your smartphone's GPU uses shared-memory with the CPU which runs at slower speeds and is less powerful in scale. The games that are designed for smartphones target OpenGL ES2, and thus are also a lot less sophisticated, but also a lot more limited. PUBG mobile and PUBG are basically different games with the mobile version scaled down to run on a potato-phone.

I assure you, your smartphone GPU is substantially weaker than your desktop GPU unless your desktop GPU is more than 5 years old and also an integrated GPU. The GPU in that part doesn't beat the GPU in the iPhone 11, nor does it beat the iPhone X.

The Adreno 650 in that SoC has a Compute score of about 3000, which puts it under the GeForce GT 730 and slightly higher than the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600.

https://browser.geekbench.com/opencl-benchmarks

By comparison the top-of-the-line GPU you can get right now, GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER has a score closer to 110,000. That is 36 times more powerful. Even if compared to just an entry-level GeForce GTX 1660, that is still a score of 54,000 or 18 times better.