Desktop i5 vs laptop i7

Can desktop i5 10600k(6 / 12) outperform laptop i7 10875h (8 / 16) in any test?

1 minute ago, jumbo9i0 said:

it's hard to say

the base freq of the i5 is much higher than the i7, so it might probably beat it in multicore tasks

the turbo is higher on the i7, so single threaded task might have an advantage there (as for how long it can hold the boost, who knows)

the i7 has more cache than the i5 (16 vs 12MB)

but the i5 can be OC-ed, which makes it even better

so it really depends on many factors, but imo the i5 would win in most cases

also im assuming the i7 is adequately cooled and powered, which is rare in laptops

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

30 minutes ago, jumbo9i0 said:

Considering your laptop is most likely overheating while also running into a power wall, even an i3 should perform similarly to that i7. If you want real laptop power, look for a Ryzen 7 4800H. Now that is a lot faster than your i5

32 minutes ago, jumbo9i0 said:

i7 10875h (8 / 16) in any test?

Well laptop chips run into limitations. In cooling and power limits. So probably the 10600k. Though if the laptop somehow got the cooling capabilities and the power capabilities where it can stretch it's legs a little more. In multi threaded applications. It'll probably perform better. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

Well laptop chips run into limitations. In cooling and power limits. So probably the 10600k. Though if the laptop somehow got the cooling capabilities and the power capabilities where it can stretch it's legs a little more. In multi threaded applications. It'll probably perform better. 

At that point it'll be using 100W and setting the laptop on fire. If he really needs a lot of mobile performance, the o my option these days is Zen 2 Renoir in the form of the 4800H(S) or 4900H(S)

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

my option these days is Zen 2 Renoir in the form of the 4800H(S) or 4900H(S)

I don't really follow the mobile market. But I don't see a reason in recommending a laptop with an Intel chip tbh. Zen  is seriously good on mobile. And I found that Intel laptops aren't that good compared to ryzen ones really. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I don't really follow the mobile market. But I don't see a reason in recommending a laptop with an Intel chip tbh. Zen  is seriously good on mobile. And I found that Intel laptops aren't that good compared to ryzen ones really. 

Very much true. On laptops, intel is to be avoided as they are slower, run hotter, use more power, have worse battery life and offer an overall worse experience from a CPU point of view

For mobile devices it is all about the TDP. Doesn't matter if it is the nominally most powerful CPU, it will throttle anyway. They are only powerful for some seconds until they are hot. 

Obviously the laptop manufacturer can improve that a bit. not sure if there is a way to compare cooling between laptops. 

i guess if I had to choose I would choose a low frequency CPU with many cores over a high frequency CPU with fewer cores. hoping the lower frequency CPU is more likely to run near its nominal frequency.

I'm in the process to replace my daughter's MS surface. since it bogs down with even browsing when the fan starts to jam up and the CPU throttles. Going to a Chrome book, hoping the lower level OS puts less strain on things (and newer hardware). On paper, this tablet should be able to everything easily, but not in practice.