Will 2x sata to 1x 6 pin work for a 120watt gpu?

ILIKEBEEZ

Hi i am looking to power a gtx960 on a Dell optiplex 3020. It has a 290watt psu. the gpu uses 120watts running at maxiumum wich I will rarely do. Would using 2x sata to 1x 6 pin to power it be safe?

Unless you are an electrician (and then you wouldn't ask): don't do it.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

i wouldnt do that seems even more sketchy than molex

I really have no choice. Do you have an alternative for the stock psu?

Just now, Korben said:

Unless you are an electrician (and then you wouldn't ask): don't do it.

Why would i need to be an electrician to plug in three cables together. And im sopposed to be asking you if its safe becuase i is not an electrician.

Just now, ILIKEBEEZ said:

Molex is rated for almost twice the power draw as SATA, so if you HAVE to use one, molex is the least bad option. 

The real solution is to replace the PSU with one with adequate connectors. 

Get a new PSU that actually is decent and has the connectors you need.

You’d either undervolt your GPU or overvolt your PSU

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Might be able to do it, but I suggest that you don't because old and garbage power supplies like that won't like a high TDP card like the 960

I also lack post processing when I post so please refresh before replying as I probably edited my response!

Quote me if you want a reply! :)

2 minutes ago, ILIKEBEEZ said:

Why would i need to be an electrician to plug in three cables together. And im sopposed to be asking you if its safe becuase i is not an electrician.

Well, you got your answers (not only from me): don't do it.

4 minutes ago, ILIKEBEEZ said:

well if you have to dont put that pc near anything flammable since theres a real danger it might go up in flames.

id suggest just getting a new pc though you could get a proper psu and use this adapter https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html but i heard from people that you can't screw a standard psu into the case so you would either stuff it in unsecured or have it outside of the case 

seems like dell tried to make it as unupgradable as possible

Unless you have home insurance for a house fire you should probably buy a PSU that actually has the proper wattage and connectors required for a GPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

why not get like a 1650 that doesnt require pcie power though granted im not sure if i trust the probably crappy motherboard to be able to deliver that power through the slot

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1650-gv-n1650oc-4gl/p/N82E16814932241?item=N82E16814932241

so once again dont put it near anything flammable 

19 minutes ago, ILIKEBEEZ said:

Hi i am looking to power a gtx960 on a Dell optiplex 3020. It has a 290watt psu. the gpu uses 120watts running at maxiumum wich I will rarely do. Would using 2x sata to 1x 6 pin to power it be safe?

I wouldn't. If there is no PCIe 6-pin power in the chassis, then the PSU is not powerful enough and the chassis likely even lacks adequate cooling for it.