Speaker? Which one to buy?

Izaya Orihara

I need some good sounding, good looking, not too huge speakers (going on my desk.)  for my new pc. But i have no idea what to buy. (I don't want to spend more then 500€. Can stretch the budget if needed) 

AudioEngine and Swan are good places to start.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

AudioEngine and Swan are good places to start.

Please do not suggest a brand but a product. 

you are going to use the onboard to drive speakers with that budget or are you wanting a complete set up?

Please do not suggest a brand but a product. 

They make speakers of various sizes. Take a gander. I don't know what you consider too big for your desk.

There's only 2 models of the former and like 5 models of the latter.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

you are going to use the onboard to drive speakers with that budget or are you wanting a complete set up?

I plann on using an Asus Xonar Phebus. And if it matters the motherboard will be a Rampage IV Black Edition. 

They make speakers of various sizes. Take a gander. I don't know what you consider too big for your desk.

There's only 2 models of the former and like 5 models of the latter.

Swans range is pretty extensive, a whole lot bigger then five. 

I plann on using an Asus Xonar Phebus. And if it matters the motherboard will be a Rampage IV Black Edition. 

You don't need a soundcard for speakers. Save your cash.

Swans range is pretty extensive, a whole lot bigger then five. 

When it comes to the speakers he'd be interested in (powered desktop media), there aren't as many.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

You don't need a soundcard for speakers. Save your cash.

I will also use it with my normal headphones. 

I will also use it with my normal headphones. 

Still don't need one. Onboard will do. 

When it comes to the speakers he'd be interested in (powered desktop media), there aren't as many.

Don't qoute me on it, but I remember them having about 10? maybe powered speakers. 

Or maybe I am combining brands off of similar looks. Dunno though. 

But it's sexy. 

I too enjoy heating my house with my income. 

I too enjoy heating my house with my income. 

I too enjoy having a 5000€ budget for the tower. 

Don't qoute me on it, but I remember them having about 10? maybe powered speakers. 

Or maybe I am combining brands off of similar looks. Dunno though. 

Overall maybe, I usually just look at what's in their store. They can have supply issues with other speakers.

@Izaya Orihara the Swan M50W's are nice.

Just because you can, doesn't make it a good choice. You'd likely get similar performance from a tower half that cost.

Don't flaunt it. It just makes you look assanine.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Excess isn't an accuse for wasting money.

Put ALL your audio budget into the speakers and headphones, and none into marketing BS like soundcards. 

I have used audio engine a2+, m audio 40s, bose companion 5, deftech incline. I am currently using polk tl3's.  I have also used a handful of gamer type speakers from PC type companies but in my opinion they aren't worth mentioning only because what I did just mention sound the best to me. The Bose system sounded over all the best however I decided I didn't want a sub only because saving space was important to me. People hate on Bose but that system was damn nice, ugly though imo.  I have had the polks for almost a month and will be keeping these, my favorites. They produce enough base that I don't miss the sub at all and the highs are good with strong mids. It's just an added bonus that I think they look very good. 

If you are into fantastic highs the deftech incline were the best no question but I thought it lacked bass during movies and gaming. Music was fine but I don't listen to bass heavy music. 

I powered the speakers with a few combos of dacs, amps and sound cards. At this moment I am using a Denon CEOL piccolo which I am loving more and more. I use speakers and headphones. Easy switching was also important to me. 

Overall maybe, I usually just look at what's in their store. They can have supply issues with other speakers.

Smaller companies I do suppose. Though with his budget A2+'s and a sizable sub would be legit. 

All depends on how much you want to spend. If you want speakers on the cheap you can buy a pair of Dayton B652's and a Lepai lp-2020a+ Amp. Or if you have more to spend you could go for a pair of Audio Engine A5+.

I need some good sounding, good looking, not too huge speakers (going on my desk.)  for my new pc. But i have no idea what to buy. (I don't want to spend more then 500€. Can stretch the budget if needed) 

I'm probably going to get reamed out here by the "audiophiles" on the forum, but here's my suggestion:

Logitech z906's $449 CAD / €399 EUR

surround-sound-speakers-z906-gallery1.pn

My friend got these back around Holiday Season 2013 to replace an older set of Logitech X-540's, which just so happen to be the same set I have myself, along with many other friends. Now first and foremost, I will say that for the same amount of money, you will definitely be able to get a better more evenly tuned set of Stereo Monitor Speakers, albeit you'll need a dedicated DAC-USB adapter, or something similar to drive them properly.

However, when I got the chance to play around with the control unit, tweaking each speakers volume level individually, and then discover that the SubWoofer/Amplification unit is actually using  :o standard speaker wire and regular hookups, save for the control unit, I almost shat my pants. The control pod allows lots of refinement, from Stereo > 5.1 upconversion (not just fake matrix mode), to multiple inputs (up to 5 or 6 I think, for PC/gameconsole/phone/TV/BluRay) and even comes with a remote control! Lots of features in a decent package.

As for looks and sound quality, all I can say is they blew me away for the price and I would definitely buy a set for a spare media centre room (being marketed as "Home Theatre/Computer Speakers"), although tastes in what looks and sounds good are entirely subjective. As I mentioned, I have the X-540's, which are pretty decent in terms of the Highs and Lows departments, but rather lack any Midrange sounds unless turned way up. The z906's had no problem reproducing clean, clear audio, at each of the High, Mid, and Low frequencies, and actually made Stereo Audio sound better during upconversion, a first for something like that, for me at least. (the X-530's, and X-540's had matrix mode, which did output stereo sound to the rear and centre speakers, just at really shitty quality)

surround-sound-speakers-z906-gallery-8.p

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

could always grab a receiver package ,5.1/6.1 sound ,just optical/hdmi it to that then done .

it's kinda what ive done ,check my build log for what ive done for my sound . that should help ...

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w