LTT Water Bottle?

SwiftCoderJoe

My sister was going to buy me the LTT water bottle for Christmas, however, noticed a strange warning at the bottom of the site. "This product is not designed for the long-term storage of liquids". Why does it say this? I'm fairly confident LTT would never sell an unsafe water bottle, but I'm wondering what exactly this warning means. Especially since I don't see it on other water bottles on retailers like Amazon.

image.png.855aac87c7904bf2c782c117d9fae18e.png

It seems somewhat strange that a water bottle wouldn't be designed for the storage of liquids...

Can someone convince me (and my sister) to buy it (or otherwise)?

They might say not to leave water in there for a long time because the water will get a metal like taste if left for a while (I have some metal water bottle like that)

But tagging @LinusTech if it is something else

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

8 minutes ago, SwiftCoderJoe said:

It seems somewhat strange that a water bottle wouldn't be designed for the storage of liquids...

Pretty sure it's on all aluminum water bottles. I got a Xbox aluminum water bottle from an event, and a tag in the bottle said the same thing. It's a chemical process. Its why all aluminum cans you buy have a thin layer of something inside them.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

5 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Pretty sure it's on all aluminum water bottles. I got a Xbox aluminum water bottle from an event, and a tag in the bottle said the same thing. It's a chemical process. Its why all aluminum cans you buy have a thin layer of something inside them.

This is good to know. I might do a bit more research, blah blah blah, but I'm probably just gonna buy the water bottle 🤷‍♂️

The argument I used with my sister is that if it were unsafe, the LTT staff wouldn't use it, however this does reassure me. Thanks for the quick reply!

Edited by SwiftCoderJoe
add more info

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

With aluminum what you have is that it forms an oxide layer when it touches the air, making it very durable. Acid can eat away at that layer (like coke or whatever) and will destroy the aluminum if kept in a aluminum bottle for a long period of time, causing a metal taste in the drink. This is why soda cans have a sprayed on little tiny plastic layer to protect the aluminum from the can contents.

Good to know a more scientific reasoning. Definitely feeling much better about the water bottle now. Now I just need to decide a color...

By the way, I'm marking this as solved. Thanks everyone!

Edited by SwiftCoderJoe
Marked as solved

Long-term would mean from several days upwards. So longer than what you would normally have water there even when hiking. Like normally you would refill once or more per day. So not having any long-term effects going on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv