Will ps5 beat the current gen pc?

Ryan Kukreti

Hey guys, so i read the technical specs of the upcoming ps5. There it mentions that it's GPU will have 10.28 teraflops of power, which is more or less, equivilant to rtx 2080. Would it really have equivilant in performance in video games compared to a pc with rtx 2080? How did they manage to put so much power in a console that rumor says will cost around only 500-600 usd??

Honestly the ps5 will push that 10.28 teraflops of power further. Raw power and how its utilized is different. The ps5 will have some crazy beefy gpu power at launch and honestly i'd be surpized if for around 500-600 usd you could build something comparable. But that's kinda normal at launch of new consoles. IMO it will be a better gaming machine but won't be a pc replacement.

Edit: note im not saying it will be better than the 2080ti im simply saying it will be a better value for STRICTLY gaming.

This requires a very long and more technically in-depth explanation of how APIs work, and why consoles usually outperform a similar performance chip for chip and why at the end of a console generation even 7 years later games get even better and better looking.  Someone else will do the explanation, I've given some tidbits on what to google.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

At launch, its possible though unlikely however by Christmas 2021 PCs will be far beyond what the XBSX & PS5 can manage in terms of raw output.

Based on what were seeing so far though, this gen of consoles will be the closest  to PC there's ever been.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

At launch, its possible though unlikely however by Christmas 2021 PCs will be far beyond what the XBSX & PS5 can manage in terms of raw output.

Based on what were seeing so far though, this gen of consoles will be the closest  to PC there's ever been.

spot on. the thing i said before is the consumer in general will get screwed on storage cost this gen.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

29 minutes ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

Hey guys, so i read the technical specs of the upcoming ps5. There it mentions that it's GPU will have 10.28 teraflops of power, which is more or less, equivilant to rtx 2080. Would it really have equivilant in performance in video games compared to a pc with rtx 2080? How did they manage to put so much power in a console that rumor says will cost around only 500-600 usd??

I can see them beating a 2080 or even matching a 2080Ti with the specs we have seen and optimisation but new PC hardware is launched every couple of years including this one where better cards will be launched. I don't se console performance getting beaten by PCs for a LONG time this gen though, even with used hardware. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

31 minutes ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

How did they manage to put so much power in a console that rumor says will cost around only 500-600 usd??

Because it costs 500-650$ to make. 

Its very high volume, meaning manufacturers are willing to sell at lower margins to become the supplier.

Neither Microsoft or Sony are expecting to earn money on selling the console. Hence they can essentially break even on each sale or even small losses. 

Unlike with PC components where everyone wants some sort of profit margin. 

It seems that for e.g. the new Assassins Creed and Ratchet will still be 30fps, my hype died down right after hearing that. It might "outperform" gaming PCs below 2080 but if they use all that power for 4k and raytracing I'd rather have a PC and aim for 60fps+ even if at worse graphics. Also we don't know they'll cost 500, for e.g PS3 was more, and we don't know what nvidias 3000 series or amds next will offer at the time.

Console manufacturers get money from every game sold for their platform so they can subsidise the console itself.

And of course consoles get pretty high performance at launch becasue they need to still provide a good experience 6-8 years down the road without any upgrades.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

For the first time, we're seeing new tech being released on consoles first. At the moment, consoles will outperform PCs, especially in the price to performance ratio.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

5 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

For the first time, we're seeing new tech being released on consoles first. At the moment, consoles will outperform PCs, especially in the price to performance ratio.

In what way? PC already has Zen 2 and AMD promised PC would get Big Navi before these new consoles release around a month or so.

18 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I can see them beating a 2080 or even matching a 2080Ti with the specs we have seen and optimisation but new PC hardware is launched every couple of years including this one where better cards will be launched. I don't se console performance getting beaten by PCs for a LONG time this gen though, even with used hardware. 

Very bold prediction since we know they'll both be Big Navi based systems and up till now we haven't seen any indication of how fast Big Navi will be. Even if the top tier Big Navi does beat the 2080 it's still very unlikely Sony/MS will be able to cram a 200 watt (maybe more) GPU into a console, at least not without the thing sounding like a hovercraft while under load.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Console manufacturers take a loss on initial console sales, expecting to make the loss back after a few game purchases. That's why they sell decent hardware at a lower cost than it's worth. And as the cost of the parts in the consoles come down over the following years, they'll be losing less and less from each console sale.

I don't think the consoles will be better on release than a good PC, though they will be comparable to a pretty decent one. To gauge the PS5's performance, there's various information to go on:

- An Epic Games China engineer has said that the Unreal Engine 5 demo that was shown running at 30 FPS on a PS5 can run at 40 FPS on his notebook with a 2080 mobile GPU.

- Epic Games' Chief Technology Officer has said that an RTX 2070 Super runs the PS5 demo pretty well. While we don't know what FPS that means it gets on the PC with a 2070 Super, but the baseline FPS for PC gaming is typically 60 FPS and not 30 FPS as is more the standard on consoles.

- Many PS5 games are already announced as targeting 30 FPS:
https://www.androidcentral.com/many-games-ps5-reveal-may-be-targeting-30-fps-says-digital-foundry
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/06/demons_souls_ps5_remake_lets_you_prioritise_visuals_or_frame_rate
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/05/dont_expect_assassins_creed_valhalla_to_run_at_60_frames-per-second_on_ps5

- The PS5 will likely have checkerboard 4k again, while PCs will have DLSS 2, which compares very favourably to the PS4's checkerboard 4k. If the PS5 has checkerboard 4k, it might be improved over the PS4's and look as good as DLSS 2. I think the PS4's doesn't look good compared to real 4k - it's blurry and loses a lot of texture detail as a result.

PCs and consoles + TVs are also engaged differently. The average size of TV is about 50", while the average size of a PC monitor might be 27" or less. That means that a PC monitor will have a much higher pixel-per-inch density than a TV at a given resolution, or even a much lower resolution - which means the PC monitor will have a smoother and crisper image, though on a much smaller screen. 1440p on a 27" screen actually has a higher pixel density than 4k at 50". But the smaller screen-size works for the PC monitor because people sit a lot closer to it than they do a TV screen.

What the higher pixel density on a smaller screen affords a PC gamer to do is lower the resolution and free up system performance for higher FPS and increasing graphical settings while still getting a comparably high-fidelity image compared to a TV and console running at 4k.

Keeping in-mind that the next series of Nvidia and AMD graphics cards will have released before the next consoles do, the PS5 might be comparable to a then-upper-mid-tier gaming PC (expecting an RTX 3070 or 3080 and up to be the new high-tier). So, the new consoles might be comparable to a then-upper-mid-tier gaming PC when they release. And it sounds like they'll offer 30 FPS gaming in most graphically-intensive games (some will have an option to run at a lower visual quality and get 60 FPS) while possibly having checkerboard 4k rather than real 4k in many games.

Certainly, PCs will be able to surpass this with enough money invested into one - but that could be a lot of money. Bang for the buck, if someone doesn't already have a decent PC to upgrade select parts in, a new console might be a better buy. But there are also reports that some PS5 games will cost $70 instead of the typical $60. So, it could be more expensive to game on a PS5 long-term, if a person buys a lot of games.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

11 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

yes only if its open source

What?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

What

who wants a brick that can only play games?

Just now, dfsgsfa said:

You do realize x86 isn't open source and can do many things. 

A console is specifically made for games.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

You do realize x86 isn't open source and can do many things. 

early ps3 fat versions were found to be open source by hackers

3 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

I'd love a brick that can play games. That shit would fetch thousands due to being totally unique.

Without being facetious though, console users buy consoles EXACTLY because they only want to play games and can't be bothered with the other qwirks that come from a full blown computer.

You not wanting it does not mean nobody wants it.

4 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

early ps3 fat versions were found to be open source by hackers

PS3 wasn't X86 and no, the OS was based on an Open Source Unix distro that had been heaviy modified by Sony but that doesn't mean what you think it does (the PS4s OS was built from the exact same distro). BTW this wasn't discovered by hackers either, its literally stated on the PS3 Info screen.

35 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

In what way? PC already has Zen 2 and AMD promised PC would get Big Navi before these new consoles release around a month or so.

51 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

At the moment

Today, it's not possible to build a 5/600$ PC that can match the performance of the PS5

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

6 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

Today, it's not possible to build a 5/600$ PC that can match the performance of the PS5

The PS5 isn't even out yet so either you're talking about theoreticals or you have a crystal ball. We actually have anecdotal evidence from Epic Games engineers that a few year old laptop can run the Unreal 5 Demo better than the PS5.

Edit - Also I fail to see how this relates to the post I questioned...

1 hour ago, Parideboy said:

What tech is coming to consoles first?

46 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

PCs and consoles + TVs are also engaged differently. The average size of TV is about 50", while the average size of a PC monitor might be 27" or less. That means that a PC monitor will have a much higher pixel-per-inch density than a TV at a given resolution, or even a much lower resolution - which means the PC monitor will have a smoother and crisper image, though on a much smaller screen. 1440p on a 27" screen actually has a higher pixel density than 4k at 50". But the smaller screen-size works for the PC monitor because people sit a lot closer to it than they do a TV screen.

What the higher pixel density on a smaller screen affords a PC gamer to do is lower the resolution and free up system performance for higher FPS and increasing graphical settings while still getting a comparably high-fidelity image compared to a TV and console running at 4k.

Usually it's easier to lower the resolution on a TV than on a monitor, I mean, I keep my screens readable at 100% zoom and native res, which is 22' 1080p or 27' 1440p, the TV on the other hand might be 4k 60' but I'm 3-6 times as far and at 100% it's really hard to read text.
Optimal TV viewing distance by its size, for DVD, 720p, 1080p and Ultra HD (previously known as 4K) resolutions.

3m from the TV you'd need at least 77' to even notice the difference, but I'd say 1080p would be acceptable up to the middle of 'Ultra HD Worth It' zone, especially with some sort of upscaling.

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

We actually have anecdotal evidence from Epic Games engineers that a few year old laptop can run the Unreal 5 Demo better than the PS5.

I think I read somewhere that he was only playing a video on that laptop, are you certain about this?

15 minutes ago, Loote said:

I think I read somewhere that he was only playing a video on that laptop, are you certain about this.

That was clarified, the Engineer was talking about running the demo on hardware. The Internet misconstrued him and came to the conclusion he was talking about playing back a video of the demo on his laptop. He wasn't.

This kind of hype happens with every new generation, rumours start about how X system is going to be a PC Killer months before anything is even confirmed. The internet takes these rumours, repeats them as fact and all the console gamers start believing them to be true.

Edit - TBF the same thing happens with PC hardware too, especially new GPUs & CPUs.

Up to this point all we know is both XBSX & PS5 will use Zen 2 CPUs & Big Navi GPUs. What the exact models are is unknown and while we have TFlop data, TFlop comparison between PC & Consoles has always been flakey at best due to the low level nature of Consoles.

This generation of Consoles has the potential to be the closest to PC ever but history has taught us to be cautious in believing the hype. It's never been accurate before, I see no reason why it would be this time.

Suggesting a $600 console is going to beat a $1200 GPU is living in la la land.

24 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

I would also like to point out that today you also cant get a PS5 for 5-600$. 

35 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

I dont think "Open-source" leans what you think it does.....

1 hour ago, Parideboy said:

For the first time, we're seeing new tech being released on consoles first

What new tech?

Is it some big important new thing, or a minor thing?

Like the SSD controller would be a minor thing.