Can you verify Ryzen 3700X running properly?

I just bought a Ryzen 3700X and I am new to a "higher" end CPU. At least its higher end for me.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out if I am getting the most out of it. I've been running a few benchmarks and watching HWiNFO64 closely and it looks like it refuses to go past 4.09GHz on all-cores. here are specs and benchmarks:

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus Tuf Gaming B450M-Plus

16GB DDR4 3000mhz

RX 5700 XT

PBO Enabled in BIOS

Best Cinebench R20 Multi-Core Score: 4901 pts

Best Geekbench 5 Multi-Core Score: 8591

Blender Classroom Scene: 8m 32s

CPU Max Temp (w/ Stock Cooler) 81c

Max CPU PPT: 111w

I guess I am just misunderstood. My last cpu was i5-8400 and I was always getting boosted to 3.9GHz as advertised. The max boost for this chip is supposed to be 4.4GHz. Is this a silicon lottery thing? I just want to be getting the best out of my chip without having to overclock.

Is this functioning properly?

4.4 is single core boost. Your i5 likely has MCE enabled so it "cheated" its limits and ran out of spec because board OEMs like to be sly and enable MCE by default.

As for whether it's normal, sounds normal to me. I'd the BIOS and chipset driver are up to date, I'd say enjoy your CPU

4.0Ghz  on all cores seems to be pretty normal for the 3700X. As @5x5 said, 4.4Ghz is Single Core boosting only.

As above, make sure the BIOS is updated for the latest AGESA and grab the AMD B450 Chipset Driver direct from AMD, make sure the system power plan is set to Ryzen Balanced and then leave it alone. Forcing an all core OC will do nothing except hurt single threaded performance since you'll remove the CPUs ability to boost it fastest cores individually and you won't be able to get a higher all core OC than what it can already boost too with no OC.

See this

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

23 minutes ago, zevans said:

Asus Tuf Gaming B450M-Plus

also worth mentioning this motherboard isn't really capable of powering an overclocked / boosted 3700x

4901 is a pretty good R20 score for a 3700x TBH.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

also worth mentioning this motherboard isn't really capable of powering an overclocked / boosted 3700x

Nah, the board can eaaily handle a 3700X assuming basic airflow exists.

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Not the best. 

But it'll handle it just fine. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

4.0Ghz  on all cores seems to be pretty normal for the 3700X. As @5x5 said, 4.4Ghz is Single Core boosting only.

As above, make sure the BIOS is updated for the latest AGESA and grab the AMD B450 Chipset Driver direct from AMD, make sure the system power plan is set to Ryzen Balanced and then leave it alone. Forcing an all core OC will do nothing except hurt single threaded performance since you'll remove the CPUs ability to boost it fastest cores individually and you won't be able to get a higher all core OC than what it can already boost too with no OC.

See this

Thank you for the information and video.

I really did not want to overclock from the get-go but the more I read and see, these chips basically just prefer to stay on Auto for best performance. That is also what most people recommend.

Bios and drivers are all updated, chipset as well. At first I only installed the chipset drivers from Asus website in the drivers/support section then I seen there was more updated drivers from the AMD website so I installed on top of the Asus chipset drivers.

I have not played much with single core frequency testing but it looks like it boosts to 4.2-4.3GHz. I am just going to keep PBO enabled and let it ride.

I will be upgrading cooler when I find a good sale.