Low FPS on Minecraft with Crazy Build

AdamW78

My friend recently upgraded his setup. He now has an i9 9900K and an RTX 2080 Ti to up his in-game performance while streaming to Twitch. He's got 32GB of RAM and is allocating 14GB (he's also tried using 8GB) to Minecraft (overkill, but why not try?) and his FPS while recording (not even streaming) is still dropping and hanging around 20-30 FPS for long periods of time, plus he's capping out at 80-90. No shaders, no resource packs, using Optifine.

While he's not recording, he's up at like 250 FPS max but is consistently between 80-150 FPS without recording (while on multiplayer not hosted on his machine). It's not much worse in singleplayer, but it can be 60-100 FPS.

His CPU is sitting at 15-30% load, his GPU is sitting at around 30% load. They're both sitting at pretty reasonable thermals, like barely more than 50 degrees celsius.

He ran a 3DMark benchmark this morning and got a normal score, north of 12,000. I have a 7700K, a GTX 1080, and 32GB RAM with 16GB allocated to Minecraft and I can pretty consistently stay between 400-600 FPS with Optifine. I'm kinda at a loss for what to try for him. He deleted his entire Minecraft folder this morning and reinstalled, no change.

Any ideas? He's paid an insane amount of money and he's pretty frustrated with the results.

I see one problem DON'T ASSIGN THAT MUCH RAM java does something called trashing or something and that means that java isn't really good at handling too much ram try lower to 3 if only playing vanilla

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

19 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

With just regular non recording gameplay is it different? He should manually assign 4 cores to minecraft and 4 cores to OBS for recording / streaming so they aren't fighting for resources, or even 2 cores because the cores themselves are so fast. It's probably an issue with that sort of thing, check per core CPU usage. (Task manager, expand, performance, right click CPU graph, change graph to, logical processors)

Ok, so doing that, and looking at the CPU Usage, Core 10 was taking all the usage, but by removing all but 2 cores, and allocating the cores back a few at a time, this stopped. His FPS is still really low, like 60 without recording or streaming. I'm not sure what to do next.

EDIT: CPU 10 keeps trying to take all the load, how do we try to fix this? Even when it wasn't taking the load, the FPS was still really low without any excessive usage in any cores and like 21% overall usage

Just now, AdamW78 said:

Ok, so doing that, and looking at the CPU Usage, Core 10 was taking all the usage, but by removing all but 2 cores, and allocating the cores back a few at a time, this stopped. His FPS is still really low, like 60 without recording or streaming. I'm not sure what to do next.

Also make sure there is no FPS limit set if you just want high fps and don't care about vertical sync

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I see one problem DON'T ASSIGN THAT MUCH RAM java does something called trashing or something and that means that java isn't really good at handling too much ram try lower to 3 if only playing vanilla

He's tried that, didn't really help. Still at 60-100 FPS

Just now, Kanna said:

Also make sure there is no FPS limit set if you just want high fps and don't care about vertical sync

Yeah this is one of the first things I checked, forgot to include it in my initial post, but good idea.

1 minute ago, AdamW78 said:

Yeah this is one of the first things I checked, forgot to include it in my initial post, but good idea.

Can I have a screenshot of the F3 screen?

Reminder⚠️

4 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Can I have a screenshot of the F3 screen?

spacer.png

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

What about without using OBS at all and without assigning any special core usage or memory allocation? This is to determine if OBS is causing the problem.

That was without any OBS at all, and with no special core allocation.

Just now, AdamW78 said:

spacer.png

Can I get a higher quality image upload it directly to the forums or take a screenshot with phone on the right side

Reminder⚠️

I'm talking about the memory allocation here. Java has a meltdown when it sees a number higher then 3 in the assigned memory field, so try and run it without a crazy RAM allocation.

*Me running modded vanilla with 6GB*

Reminder⚠️

That's like zero resolution I can't read any of it

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Can I get a higher quality image upload it directly to the forums or take a screenshot with phone on the right side

My bad, didn't realize how  low res that was.

2020-07-15_22.08.40.png

Just now, Kanna said:

*Me running modded vanilla with 6GB*

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

I'm talking about the memory allocation here. Java has a meltdown when it sees a number higher then 3 in the assigned memory field, so try and run it without a crazy RAM allocation.

Yeah he tried with 3GB RAM allocated with no OBS and no special core allocations - still got around 60-100 FPS.

My bad, didn't realize how  low res that was.

2020-07-15_22.08.40.png

Try without optifine the preview can sometimes make fps worse also what is the render distance set to?

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

Try without optifine the preview can sometimes make fps worse also what is the render distance set to?

Got it. Render distance was 32. But I run my game with 32 render distance on like a way weaker build and I'm still getting like 100 pretty consistently in singleplayer. He dropped down to 16 without Optifine and it got to 150 but really not much of a performance improvement. The Core 10 usage on the CPU is still crazy high. But his FPS isn't great even in multiplayer situations where the render distance is capped by the server and I'm getting 400+ and he's getting like 30-90.

Got it. Render distance was 32. But I run my game with 32 render distance on like a way weaker build and I'm still getting like 100 pretty consistently in singleplayer. He dropped down to 16 without Optifine and it got to 150 but really not much of a performance improvement. The Core 10 usage on the CPU is still crazy high. But his FPS isn't great even in multiplayer situations where the render distance is capped by the server and I'm getting 400+ and he's getting like 30-90.

Can I see the settings page?

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Can I see the settings page?

2020-07-15_22.27.08.png

3 minutes ago, AdamW78 said:

2020-07-15_22.27.08.png

What is his current resolution?

Reminder⚠️

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

What is his current resolution?

1440p

Just now, AdamW78 said:

1440p

Try 1080p maybe minecraft is having something weird with it

Reminder⚠️

3 hours ago, Kanna said:

What you're referring to is Java's Garbage Collection. 
I can't tell you the inner machinations of it because I'm still fairly green at Java, but I can tell you more or less how to deal with it.
Long story short, you have to hit the sweet spot. Too little RAM and it won't run well, too much ram and GC will go crazy and cause issues.

Vanilla MC shouldn't require that much (assuming 1.16), I run modpacks with 230 mods on 6gb with minimal hitching.
Optifine is also not great (anymore). Try BetterFPS or Performant.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/performant

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterfps

Source(s): Research I've done to optimize server performance, as well as hanging around in the modded mc "community". AKA "Dude, trust me".

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

9 hours ago, Jerakl said:

What you're referring to is Java's Garbage Collection. 
I can't tell you the inner machinations of it because I'm still fairly green at Java, but I can tell you more or less how to deal with it.
Long story short, you have to hit the sweet spot. Too little RAM and it won't run well, too much ram and GC will go crazy and cause issues.

Vanilla MC shouldn't require that much (assuming 1.16), I run modpacks with 230 mods on 6gb with minimal hitching.
Optifine is also not great (anymore). Try BetterFPS or Performant.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/performant

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterfps

Source(s): Research I've done to optimize server performance, as well as hanging around in the modded mc "community". AKA "Dude, trust me".

Hmm, interesting. COrrect me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like either of those offer any 1.16 support. They also don't seem to provide any of the shader support Optifine does. 

12 hours ago, Kanna said:

Try 1080p maybe minecraft is having something weird with it

I'll have him do that. Any other ideas I can have him try?

2 minutes ago, AdamW78 said:

Hmm, interesting. COrrect me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like either of those offer any 1.16 support. They also don't seem to provide any of the shader support Optifine does. 

Only optifine gives shader support but it's in preview so 1.16 doesn't have shader yet

3 minutes ago, AdamW78 said:

I'll have him do that. Any other ideas I can have him try?

No not in my mind right now

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

Only optifine gives shader support but it's in preview so 1.16 doesn't have shader yet

No not in my mind right now

I have shader support in the Optifine 1.16 preview. And yeah, I was kinda worried about that. Downscaling monitor resolution is just a frustrating solution. Not totally sure if it will help but I will post when he tries. Thank you so much for the help so far by the way. 

2 minutes ago, AdamW78 said:

I have shader support in the Optifine 1.16 preview. And yeah, I was kinda worried about that. Downscaling monitor resolution is just a frustrating solution. Not totally sure if it will help but I will post when he tries. Thank you so much for the help so far by the way. 

I would not use shader in preview can cause issues

Reminder⚠️