Project Ara prototype gets demoed in a video

RedRound2

Project Ara gets demoed by a Google employee and talks about it and how it works for about 20 mins.

(Forward it to 5:00)

http://youtu.be/18LU5UtG5-M

So what do you guys think. Personally I'm excited, but there's still a lot of unanswered questions. Hopefully Google will shed some more light on it during the Ara developer conference on April 15th and 16th

Hadn't even heard about Project Ara until now.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

this IS Interesting!

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Woop, this eliminated many doubts I had!

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Hadn't even heard about Project Ara until now.

lolhow, this is probably the most reposted topic in this forum ever

THE signature

Narp. Not interested unless a company finds a way to bridge both front modules into a solid screen.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

lolhow, this is probably the most reposted topic in this forum ever

they could probably make the screen extrude out from the base module more and have the two slots under it go into the skeleton of the phone. 

Cec94cG.png

where the red represents the screen.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

they could probably make the screen extrude out from the base module more and have the two slots under it go into the skeleton of the phone. 

Cec94cG.png

@dizmo

I think you quoted the wrong guy...  :P

THE signature

Could...but will they. They could even use the extra space for battery.

The other issue I see is how they plan to keep all the modules in. I'm assuming they're using a weak magnet for the prototype, but magnets are not something I'd want to see in a production device.

Solid, locking click or no go for me.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Could...but will they. They could even use the extra space for battery.

The other issue I see is how they plan to keep all the modules in. I'm assuming they're using a weak magnet for the prototype, but magnets are not something I'd want to see in a production device.

Solid, locking click or no go for me.

From what I recall they said the the type of locking mechanism you would want would be much larger and that they plan to keep the magnets,although i recall they had said something about the magnets being an order of magnitude stronger in the actual phone to the point where the force required to remove it can't be exerted by your fingers.The magnets have an on and off state,both being passive and change between the states requires a charge.The on state being 10x stronger,the off state being similar to a regular magnet where you can easily just slide out the module and a slide a new one in.

I imagine it'll be something like a software version of a circuit breaker where you can toggle between on/off in a control panel.

So if you need to remove and insert a module you'd toggle it to off,it'd send a charge which would change the magnet to the off state,would weaken the magnet to 10x weaker where it is easy to move the modules,and you'd remove the old module and insert the new module,then toggle the magnet back to the on state where it has enough force where your fingers can no longer move the modules,and you're set to go.

watch the video from 17:30 to hear it from his mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=18LU5UtG5-M#t=1050

honestly it's just a matter of how much you want a modular phone,if you prefer/value the unibody design of something like the iphone then obviously a modular phone isn't for you.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

From what I recall they said the the type of locking mechanism you would want would be much larger and that they plan to keep the magnets,although i recall they had said something about the magnets being an order of magnitude stronger in the actual phone to the point where the force required to remove it can't be exerted by your fingers.The magnets have an on and off state,both being passive and change between the states requires a charge.The on state being 10x stronger,the off state being similar to a regular magnet where you can easily just slide out the module and a slide a new one in.

I imagine it'll be something like a software version of a circuit breaker where you can toggle between on/off in a control panel.

So if you need to remove and insert a module you'd toggle it to off,it'd send a charge which would change the magnet to the off state,would weaken the magnet to 10x weaker where it is easy to move the modules,and you'd remove the old module and insert the new module,then toggle the magnet back to the on state where it has enough force where your fingers can no longer move the modules,and you're set to go.

watch the video from 17:30 to hear it from his mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=18LU5UtG5-M#t=1050

honestly it's just a matter of how much you want a modular phone,if you prefer/value the unibody design of something like the iphone then obviously a modular phone isn't for you.

Ok that actually sounds pretty cool. Hopefully it wouldn't have a huge affect on the battery life of the device, especially if what you wanted to add meant you had a smaller battery section.

The modular idea interests me, however I'm not going to give up certain things just to get it. For example that huge module for the front facing camera would make landscape handling a bit more of a pain for those with smaller hands. It also just looks blah, but of course that's my personal opinion and it will vary.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Ok that actually sounds pretty cool. Hopefully it wouldn't have a huge affect on the battery life of the device, especially if what you wanted to add meant you had a smaller battery section.

The modular idea interests me, however I'm not going to give up certain things just to get it. For example that huge module for the front facing camera would make landscape handling a bit more of a pain for those with smaller hands. It also just looks blah, but of course that's my personal opinion and it will vary.

it wouldn't impact the battery life.

imagine it this way;it requires a single electron to flow through the circuit to toggle the magnet from one state to the other,that's the whole point of it being passive in either the on or off states,rather than requiring a constant flow of electrons to maintain the on state and the lack of a flow of electrons for an off state.

Linus Sebastian said:

I'm not that excited. Modular will always have to be bulkier than the one that's made to fit perfectly. Look at apple and how their squeeze stuff in their tiny boxes. This phone might be cool and all, but it will never perform the same.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'm not that excited. Modular will always have to be bulkier than the one that's made to fit perfectly. Look at apple and how their squeeze stuff in their tiny boxes. This phone might be cool and all, but it will never perform the same.

I m getting one if you can get thicker modules for more batteries, my 1 year old Nexus 4 5hours.... yes 5 hours battery life, is killing me,

I d go a decentish cpu(if i can open youtube it s more than enough), decentish screen, 720p is fine, smallest memory i can get, no camera, good 4G module and the rest, a TON of batteries.

I don t care if the phone is thicker, that s way better than a wider phone for me. I can even imagine using a 3/4'' phone and I might add a case on it too lol.

Also it could perform way better than an iphone IF you wanted to, since you know, there s no apple bloatware(look how last iphones are slowed down purposefully) and the CPUs are upgradable.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I think i'll stick with my dumbphone. I don't want a slab.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

It's a really cool idea. But I can't see it becoming that popular, maybe ill be wrong in a year or two, oh well.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500