Reboot while idling in a new Ryzen system.

Hello all.

TL;DR I've played around with some RAM overclocking and power management and not my system reboots after 2-5 minutes of ANY use or even just idling.

So I've recently built a new AMD system and I'm having some problems. I will try to write it up in as much detail as I can remember so there's full picture.

After I've assembled the PC and installed Windows all was fine. I've disabled some annoying lights on the MB and started updating all the firmware and software. So AMD chipset driver, BIOS and GPU driver are all the latest. Then I've installed all the monitoring software necessary because my idle CPU temps seemed too high (49-62C randomly). I have since read that this is basically fine for 3600, this isn't the issue now.

After I tweaked some stuff in BIOS like disabled PBO, set up a custom CPU fan curve and then adjusted the power profile in Windows (AMD High Performance, min power to 1%, max to 100%) the temps became better and the fan stopped ramping up and down. Then I decided to overclock RAM and IF. Found some OC manual OC guide (since Nanya chips in my RAM isn't supported by the DRAM Calculator), set the RAM to 3200CL16 and the IF to 1600. The system booted and seemed stable in light stuff like web browsing.

Also at that point the PC was on for like 4 hours while I was watching some videos and reading stuff about overclocking and power management, everything was just fine. Didn't get to play any games or load the system in some other way though.

Then I decided to try and bump the RAM to 3600. Set the voltage to 1.4V, the IF to 1800, didn't touch the CPU voltage at that point. The system got stuck in a bootloop. So fair enough, I discharched the power button, cleared CMOS, booted into BIOS. Then dialed in the last successful RAM configuration (3200CL16, voltage on Auto), set up the fan curve again, didn't touch anything else, booted into Windows no problem.

I still was getting this temp pattern in HWinfo, so after some further reading I've decided to do a voltage offset of 0.1V on the CPU and try and run Prime95 to determine whether my load temps were okay. System seemed stable with the offset, so I ran the test, the temps were sitting at around 67C for the first ~5 minutes, the suddenly shot up to 85C and stayed there for the next ~5 minutes more until I shut it down.

That's where it all broke down. After I left the PC idling to cool down, the temps dropped to around 65C and refused to go lower, the CPU fan was ramping up and down (I think 65C was around where my fan curve was supposed to rise). That continued for ~3 minutes, then the system rebooted. Upon loading the temps were about where and how the were before Prime95, but then after ~3 minutes the system rebooted again while I was watching some Youtube.

I turned it off, let cool for around an hour just to be sure, cleared CMOS, left BIOS at default settings, loaded into Windows and right away changed the power profile to how it was at default. The system still keep inexplicably rebooting after 2-5 minutes of any light use. I checked that all the connectors are seated properly, the cooler is screwed down tightly, I reseeded the RAM into each others slots (dunno why but whatever). Still the same behaviour.

I'm out of options and losing hope.

This is my system below. Everything is brand new except for the GPU (around a year old) and the PSU (around 3 months old), both were working in my i5 3470 system with no issues. The case is cooled sufficiently, my MB and drive temps are around 40C, the GPU is in low 30C at idle.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OEM)

Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming ITX

RAM - HyperX Fury 2x8Gb 2666MHz HX426C16FB3K2/16

SSD - Samsung 970EVO 250Gb MZ-V7E250BW

GPU - Palit GTX 1050Ti

PSU - Seasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650W

Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S

Case - Cougar QBX

My only theory at this point is that there might be something wrong with the BIOS seeing that the latest version is about 3 weeks old. But didn't manage to find any complains about it so far from other people.

pls help

9 minutes ago, jughead0 said:

TL;DR I've played around with some RAM overclocking and power management and not my system reboots after 2-5 minutes of ANY use or even just idling.

run a memtest

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, jughead0 said:

Then I've installed all the monitoring software necessary because my idle CPU temps seemed too high (49-62C randomly)

Only use hwinfo64 and or ryzen master to monitor ryzen temps correctly. 

11 minutes ago, jughead0 said:

My only theory at this point is that there might be something wrong with the BIOS seeing that the latest version is about 3 weeks old. But didn't manage to find any complains about it so far from other people.

pls help

Update the bios. 

Use memtest86 and OCCT to make check if ram is stable. 

And @Sauron beat me to it again. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

28 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Only use hwinfo64 and or ryzen master to monitor ryzen temps correctly. 

Update the bios. 

Use memtest86 and OCCT to make check if ram is stable. 

And @Sauron beat me to it again. 

Yup, only use those.

Like I said, BIOS is up to date. I guess I'll have to ask a friend to make me a memtest thumbdrive. What's weird is, as far as I understand, Prime95 doesn't stress RAM, but my system stopped working after that test even now after I cleared CMOS.

30 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

TLDR you got an unstable overclock and now so e settings are fubar. Reset CMOS and dial back the RAM OC

See, I did all that already. The system is unstable at default BIOS settings. BIOS is the latest.

1 minute ago, jughead0 said:

as far as I understand, Prime95 doesn't stress RAM, but my system stopped working after that test even now after I cleared CMOS.

Ram can cause instabilities with something else. Doesn't have to be a ram stress test. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, jughead0 said:

Yup, only use those.

Like I said, BIOS is up to date. I guess I'll have to ask a friend to make me a memtest thumbdrive. What's weird is, as far as I understand, Prime95 doesn't stress RAM, but my system stopped working after that test even now after I cleared CMOS.

If your ram is damaged it doesn't necessarily need to be under load to crash.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, jughead0 said:

I guess I'll have to ask a friend to make me a memtest thumbdrive. What's weird is, as far as I understand, Prime95 doesn't stress RAM, but my system stopped working after that test even now after I cleared CMOS.

If you can boot into Windows and it doesn't just instantly crash, try using Windows Memory Diagnostic, Linpack Xtreme or MemTest64.

Also Prime95 does test memory in Blend mode, just not a whole lot.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC