Is the support of my headset telling me BS?

SRRAE

I posted on here about my audio technica ATH G1WL headset, and the high pitched tone/buzz coming from the left hear, which is especially noticeable when there is no sound playing.
I have tried several USB ports and different computers and the tone is the same and is not affected by the headset volume or computer volume.  Even if the head phone volume is on mute (volume turned all the way down), the noise is the same tone and volume as when unmuted.

The sound seems to be getting more obstructive and Im noticing it during game place.  Its been giving me a headache. 

I contacted audio technica tech support replied back with this. 

Thank you for the detailed information, I have replicated both your tests and your results based on the information provided and can confirm that the very high-pitched frequency is a product of the transmission circuit and is within the specification of the product as the level of the tone is <20dB, so although detectable (and, granted, any frequency tone can be annoying/obvious once it's heard) it should not affect the enjoyment of using the headphones.

Unfortunately the benefit of being wireless brings the trade-off of low-level tones, the only way to be able to eliminate the possibility of these tones would be to use a wired headphone - but then the pre-amp of the computer/laptop could also bring the potential for similar noises when silent too, as they're typically lower quality than the one used in the headphones.  Sometimes having good hearing is a curse...

Is it me or does this reply sound like bull?  Some how my 40 year old ears can hear better than the average 25 year old?  Also would a computer's motherboard pre-amp be used for USB audio device?

I've got there I have got wireless headphones which cost 1/10th of what these cost and they done make a high pitched tone.

Sounds like they're just crappy headphones...

No your mobo has nothing to do in there.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Sounds like they're just crappy headphones...

No your mobo has nothing to do in there.

Nearly every review I have read or watched on these basically said they are their new "go to" gaming headset and for £220 ($250US) I would hope they aren't crappy :(
That's why I went with them.

Thing is now I don't know whether to just get them replaced or get a refund and look else where.

Well if what support says another set would have the same issue, but maybe they're telling BS...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well if what support says another set would have the same issue, but maybe they're telling BS...

I dont think its worth the risk.  I'll look elsewhere I think.

Do you hear the sound only if a USB cable is connected to the headset or also while using it wireless?

On 7/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, HenrySalayne said:

Do you hear the sound only if a USB cable is connected to the headset or also while using it wireless?

It sounds the same when the USB cable is plugged in. But I dont think it uses the USB for the audio, just to power the headphones, so its still using the WiFi.

I've returned the headphones as faulty. The sound was getting worse and getting quite piercing. I found the manufactures reply very disappointing and felt it was passing the buck that the hearing of a 40 year old man who spent most of the late 90s and early 2000s in very loud night clubs has better hearing than most of the population of the world. 

9 hours ago, SRRAE said:

It sounds the same when the USB cable is plugged in. But I dont think it uses the USB for the audio, just to power the headphones, so its still using the WiFi.

It's relatively common that a connected USB cable adds additional noise because of the voltage converter or noise on the USB voltage line.

9 hours ago, SRRAE said:

I've returned the headphones as faulty. The sound was getting worse and getting quite piercing. I found the manufactures reply very disappointing and felt it was passing the buck that the hearing of a 40 year old man who spent most of the late 90s and early 2000s in very loud night clubs has better hearing than most of the population of the world. 

That is IMHO the right decision.

Most if not all wireless headphones do have a relatively high noise floor compared to wired solutions. The output level of wireless devices is generally set in the digital domain. A high SNR is only achieved on high output volumes, the noise doesn't change with the volume. All wireless headphones I encountered so far weren't suitable for listening quietly without a lot of ambient noise around to conceal the noise floor.