Hi, I ordered an rm750x from Corsair 12 days ago, and even though it was In stock when I placed my order, as far as I can tell, they are not sending it anytime soon, just says “booked”. Contacted 5 days ago, no response, which I am very understanding considering the state of things. I also need a psu though. So I was considering either an evga supernova g3 650w, or fractal design ion+ 660p 660w. They are both A rank in psU tier, and I was leaning more towards the fractal. I don’t know very much about psu’s, so I was hoping someone who does, and knows about either of these could weigh in. Thank you in advance.

also, I am willing to go with a different psu, if someone recommends a different one, mainly need something modular, 80 gold, And IN STOCK. Thanks

the fractal design is labeled gold (same as the rmx)

Gold - best units in the tier (includes requirements for blue color in tier A)

Blue - quiet operation under moderate load

the g3 is labeled grey 

Grey - units with various issues and concerns, see notes in the spreadsheet

i am not too farmiliar with the "concerns" so i would rather stick with the ion+

Edited by Oswin
*misread

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

10 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

Hi, I ordered an rm750x from Corsair 12 days ago, and even though it was In stock when I placed my order, as far as I can tell, they are not sending it anytime soon, just says “booked”. Contacted 5 days ago, no response, which I am very understanding considering the state of things. I also need a psu though. So I was considering either an evga supernova g3 650w, or fractal design ion+ 660p 660w. They are both A rank in psU tier, and I was leaning more towards the fractal. I don’t know very much about psu’s, so I was hoping someone who does, and knows about either of these could weigh in. Thank you in advance.

also, I am willing to go with a different psu, if someone recommends a different one, mainly need something modular, 80 gold, And IN STOCK. Thanks

I had a 550w G3 and didn't like it. The fan would kick on for no reason and very audible. Why not call up about your order and see if can cancel it and buy from somewhere else?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

9 minutes ago, vong said:

I had a 550w G3 and didn't like it. The fan would kick on for no reason and very audible. Why not call up about your order and see if can cancel it and buy from somewhere else?

Would like to, have been trying to contact them for almost a week, haven’t gotten any where

17 minutes ago, vong said:

I also had the same issue with my g3. I honestly thought it was just me and must of been faulty so i upgraded... But maybe its just how they are 

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

48 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

Let's see some differences:

• The Ion+ 660P has more cables, you get 2 EPS connectors, 4 PCIe, 10 SATA and 4 4-pin Molex, while the G3 offers 1, 3, 6 and 4 respectively. Also, you get nicer cabling with Ion+ as they use no in-cable caps (G3 does) and as many reviews say it uses especially flexible wires.
  • Electrical performance is similar and decent in both cases, there are some differences because the G3 has a much tighter voltage regulation, but Ion+ is not bad at all. G3's transient response is much better, though. They are similar in other aspects like ripple, inrush current or hold-up time.
  • As for protections, G3 goes out of spec on overload before OCP & OPP (as the spreadsheet in the tier list says, that's why it's grayed out). This doesn't happen with Ion+.
  • Internal quality is also really high in both PSUs but I'd probably mention that the Ion+ should have a better fan, as they advertise a real FDB bearing, in contrast to the HDB bearing of the EVGA. But yeah, both of them have an excellent internal quality.
  • Average efficiency is similar in both cases, that's because although the Ion+ has better efficiency at moderate to high loads, its efficiency levels drop significantly at very low loads.
  • Warranty period is longer in the Ion+ (10 vs 7 years)
  • Finally, there is a huge noise difference, average noise is 27.31dBA (Lambda A-) for the G3, and 13.74 for the Ion+ (Lambda A++). G3 works constantly at 25-30dBA when the fan turns on, while Ion+'s fan starts running at 6-10dBA. Check out the noise graphs in the Cybenetics reports I'll link below.

Take a look at Aris's review of the Ion+ and the G3 for comparison. I leave a link to the Cybenetics reports too (Ion+ and G3)

I think the Ion+ is a much more appealing option from the user's perpective, and if those two are the only possible options I'd get the Ion+. However, if there is a huge price difference between them (i.e. the G3 is much cheaper) or there are other options to choose from, I would rethink my position.

2 hours ago, breixobaloca said:

However, if there is a huge price difference between them (i.e. the G3 is much cheaper) or there are other options to choose from, I would rethink my position.

I appreciate the info. I am definitely open to different psu’s, but after a bit of searching, these two are the only ones I could find that meet my reqs, have decent reviews*, and most importantly, are in stock.

1 hour ago, bmx6454 said:

Where are you located?  Who did you order from?

38 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

decent ratings

What in the world does this mean? You aren't talking about customer reviews, right...?

:)

54 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Where are you located?  Who did you order from?

I am on the east coast USA. I ordered from corsairs website

19 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What in the world does this mean? You aren't talking about customer reviews, right...?

Yeah, should have clarified. I don’t go solely off reviews, but I definitely do factor them in.