Is it safe to paint motherboards?

If yes, is there any kind of specific paint to use? 

I'm hoping to do a black light or glowing in the dark build. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

If the paint is not conductive the sure. 

Do I recommend it? No. Unless you absolutely need it.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If the paint is not conductive the sure. 

Do I recommend it? No. Unless you absolutely need it.

I know it's not a need but hot pink would look so epic

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

3 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

If yes, is there any kind of specific paint to use? 

I'm hoping to do a black light or glowing in the dark build. 

I wouldn't, as it would affect the electro-conductive properties of the board, and more to the point, the thermal properties.

I would probably suggest powder-coat type of painting the metal parts of the Chassis though. You can also do this to metal parts that aren't attached to a PCB. If it's attached to a PCB (eg heat spreaders) make sure that anything you paint doesn't fill in cooling fins, only paint flat/solid metal parts. Don't paint heatsinks since that will affect the cooling properties. Don't paint anything that is a chip. 

As for blacklight, blacklight emits UV, so you would probably want to change or coat the plexiglass to actually have a UV filter (eg that purple-blue color blacklights are) which would reduce the brightness of any light that isn't white  or painted with a phosphorescent paint in the chasis.

Powder coating is a kind of plastic, which is why you have to be careful what you apply it to:

https://www.technoglowproducts.com/fluorescent-uv-powder/

But I probably would recommend avoiding painting anything that gets warm in general. Like paint the inside/outside of the chasis, maybe the cable covers, liquid cooling pipes, plexiglas. But be really careful how far you go with it:

aac88e8503ae269cc094c238f19f5d85--overwa

This looks cool at first, but you see they actually didn't paint anything on the MB, they used colored liquid cooling to achieve half, the other half is the paint of the chassis. Though if you ask me, this looks like a CG render more than a functional system given that the lights are on but no cables outside the chassis are seen. So it's not representative of a working system.

Here's the actual system:

You can see it in the thumbnail. at 5:33 in the video.

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I know it's not a need but hot pink would look so epic

Good luck destroying the board. Paint will act as a heat insulator and you will have multiple overheating components on the board.

11 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I wouldn't, as it would affect the electro-conductive properties of the board, and more to the point, the thermal properties.

I would probably suggest powder-coat type of painting the metal parts of the Chassis though. You can also do this to metal parts that aren't attached to a PCB. If it's attached to a PCB (eg heat spreaders) make sure that anything you paint doesn't fill in cooling fins, only paint flat/solid metal parts. Don't paint heatsinks since that will affect the cooling properties. Don't paint anything that is a chip. 

As for blacklight, blacklight emits UV, so you would probably want to change or coat the plexiglass to actually have a UV filter (eg that purple-blue color blacklights are) which would reduce the brightness of any light that isn't white  or painted with a phosphorescent paint in the chasis.

Powder coating is a kind of plastic, which is why you have to be careful what you apply it to:

https://www.technoglowproducts.com/fluorescent-uv-powder/

But I probably would recommend avoiding painting anything that gets warm in general. Like paint the inside/outside of the chasis, maybe the cable covers, liquid cooling pipes, plexiglas. But be really careful how far you go with it:

aac88e8503ae269cc094c238f19f5d85--overwa

This looks cool at first, but you see they actually didn't paint anything on the MB, they used colored liquid cooling to achieve half, the other half is the paint of the chassis. Though if you ask me, this looks like a CG render more than a functional system given that the lights are on but no cables outside the chassis are seen. So it's not representative of a working system.

Here's the actual system:

You can see it in the thumbnail. at 5:33 in the video.

Ooo thanks more research material. 

Painting already dead boards to use as decorations for a room or some such area would be fine. But I sure as hell wouldn't do anything like that to a board I plan to actually use. You can make do with LEDs and painting components that aren't going to be dealing with electricity or high heat.

A girl who loves to love.

Acrylic paint shouldn't kill anything and will stick, but always ALWAYS look up the ingredients in the paint you want to use. Any kind of oil paint will cause corrosion. You could still cause huge thermal issues by dunking your mobo tho so be careful where you paint.

14 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

-snippy-

Or can you create a motherboard cover that is painted. I would highly recommend against painting a motherboard.

14 hours ago, Kisai said:

I wouldn't, as it would affect the electro-conductive properties of the board

This is so not correct. The traces on a motherboard are not exposed. 

Also, look at any motherboard, there is paint all over it. Logos, diagrams, labels. All paint.

Do I think op should paint his board? Probably not, most don't have the skill/equipment to do it cleanly. 

Also, ltt did a video where they painted a board. Worked fine if I recall. (though ugly as hell)