Looking to buy a new pair of headphones for gaming, help!

WDWGman

Hi I have been looking through the forum for different headphones and haven't really got a clear answer as far as gaming headphones are concerned. I am looking for the best headphones for gaming (very good soundstage) in the region of £100 - £200. I will be using onboard audio for now (Crosshair V formula mobo). I will be playing fps games so the soundstage is very important in games like DayZ and BF4. I also have a medium/smaller head and would be using them for long periods of time so comfort is also a large factor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

^

And a modmic if you need a mic

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Audiotechnica ATH-AD700x's. They are the same as the audiotechnica headset without the microphone. I use a pair myself and they are amazing for gaming since they have an open design

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Hi I have been looking through the forum for different headphones and haven't really got a clear answer as far as gaming headphones are concerned. I am looking for the best headphones for gaming (very good soundstage) in the region of £100 - £200. I will be using onboard audio for now (Crosshair V formula mobo). I will be playing fps games so the soundstage is very important in games like DayZ and BF4. I also have a medium/smaller head and would be using them for long periods of time so comfort is also a large factor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

do you want open or closed headphones?

fischer fa003 clones they are closed too

keep a type of open sound stage in closed headphones

they have many rebrands name like xpt100, brainwaves

fischer fa003 clones they are closed too

keep a type of open sound stage in closed headphones

they have many rebrands name like xpt100, brainwaves

Those headphones are one of the worst headphones I've ever listened too. Right up there with the he-300.

Those headphones are one of the worst headphones I've ever listened too. Right up there with the he-300.

Okay mr unpopular opinion

oh you talking about the ten minutes you had with them?

you are the only person to state negative things about them

your statement here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106392-looking-for-a-headphones-for-gaming/

Yes, that's because all I could stand them for is 10 minutes.

It felt like someone twice my size was squeezing my head and giving me a headache, and the sound was on par with what sounded like m50's with less mids and bass. The he-300's are more of the same.

That's my opinion with experience of almost all headphones on the market (minus electro-statics and super high end headphone beyond $1000). They sound like crap.

Yes, that's because all I could stand them for is 10 minutes.

It felt like someone twice my size was squeezing my head and giving me a headache, and the sound was on par with what sounded like m50's with less mids and bass. The he-300's are more of the same.

That's my opinion with experience of almost all headphones on the market (minus electro-statics and super high end headphone beyond $1000). They sound like crap.

ok

you are the only negative review I can find of them so be it

I have many headphones and they are actually my preference

hd280,cals, superluxhd681, panasonic htf 6000s, hd558, hd595, hd43x(cant remember), hd42x(cant remember), t400s, xb600, ad700s, 990s, q701

and then some headsets

edit: also I have owned few of those many times over, if friend buys them I try to replace, there is some others I have owned that I havent replaced like 360, m50s (just got rid of them)

do you want open or closed headphones?

I have a very noisy environment (lots of pc fans = very loud) so closed back would be great to cancel that out, however I will be using these for gaming so the soundstage is VERY important so that's where openback comes in. If you could find a great closed back headphone that has a good soundstage (I would be able to tell which direction somebody was shooting me from) that would be great. So closed back would be best if possible. Thanks in advance.

Audiotechnica ATH-AD700x's. They are the same as the audiotechnica headset without the microphone. I use a pair myself and they are amazing for gaming since they have an open design

I have had a look at these headphone but I have a very noisy environment so openback is not the best for me. I have also noticed from reviews that the ear cups don't pivot so you end up with uneven pressure around your ear if your head does not fit them exactly :( and as I have quite a small head I fear these will not fit me as they look very wide. I have also seen that they can slide off your head very easily if you tend top move your head around a lot and constantly having to readjust the headphones mid firefight is not exactly ideal. I have also heard that the sound quality is great and so is the soundstage so if someone could find a closed back variant that has a full headband and has ear cup pivots (not the M50x's iv'e heard that the soundstage is awful) that would be great! Thanks in advance.

I have had a look at these headphone but I have a very noisy environment so openback is not the best for me. I have also noticed from reviews that the ear cups don't pivot so you end up with uneven pressure around your ear if your head does not fit them exactly :( and as I have quite a small head I fear these will not fit me as they look very wide. I have also seen that they can slide off your head very easily if you tend top move your head around a lot and constantly having to readjust the headphones mid firefight is not exactly ideal. I have also heard that the sound quality is great and so is the soundstage so if someone could find a closed back variant that has a full headband and has ear cup pivots (not the M50x's iv'e heard that the soundstage is awful) that would be great! Thanks in advance.

The AD700x's do have pivot and aren't too wide, also the open backed design creates a soundstage better than letting noise in. 

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Look for the pro version.

How are these for noise cancellation whilst using them (playing a game)?

Hey

I have just bought me a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear which I just love. 

I also listen to alot of various music genres so I need a headphone that could be used to it all. And ofcause i'm using on my PC for gaming.

There also a bigbrother to On-ear model and this just called Sennheiser Momentum they a little more expensive than the On-ear model and are a over-ear type but stil a closed construction.

Check them out on sennheiser.com

Hey

I have just bought me a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear which I just love. 

I also listen to alot of various music genres so I need a headphone that could be used to it all. And ofcause i'm using on my PC for gaming.

There also a bigbrother to On-ear model and this just called Sennheiser Momentum they a little more expensive than the On-ear model and are a over-ear type but stil a closed construction.

Check them out on sennheiser.com

Just took a look and unfortunately they are too expensive for me but thanks anyway 

Just took a look and unfortunately they are too expensive for me but thanks anyway 

Hey

Thats okay. 

But On the sennheiser homepage (http://en-de.sennheiser.com/momentum-on-ear) they are 199 euros eprox. 165,- £ that is almost in the middle of your budget.

And i'm pretty sure you can find them a little cheaper elsewere.  :)

Hey

Thats okay. 

But On the sennheiser homepage (http://en-de.sennheiser.com/momentum-on-ear) they are 199 euros eprox. 165,- £ that is almost in the middle of your budget.

And i'm pretty sure you can find them a little cheaper elsewere.  :)

Yeah I don't really like on ear headphones so was looking at the over ear ones which as you said are more expensive

Yeah I don't really like on ear headphones so was looking at the over ear ones which as you said are more expensive

Okay, NP.

look at the dt770 pro or shure srh940 for closed you could also get the srh 840 or 440 if you wanted to spend less.