cisco AP setup

Jae Tee
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
Just now, Jae Tee said:

Just so were clear, It is currently pluged in to a poe injector, into a switch, in to a wifi router that ive been using for months. But despite that i'll need other equipment than what it came with.

Yes, you need a controller for access points in lightweight mode, that's how they work. In lightweight mode they are dumb devices/access points and the controller gives them their configuration and tells them what to do. You can convert the AP into a controller by using an image in the link I outlined above and then connect additional APs and they will run in lightweight mode and get their configuration from the AP in autonomous mode.

I have a cisco AP and i am trying to set it up. I reset it, found the ip address in routerlogin dot net, put it in to my browser, and attempted to connect to it, but it simply says this site can't be reached. Am I doing some thing wrong? What am i supposed to do?

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

That depends, is the AP in lightweight or autonomous mode?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

That depends, is the AP in lightweight or autonomous mode?

No idea. All I tried to do was reset it to factory default. How can I tell which 1 it is, and what to do for either scenario?

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Just now, Jae Tee said:

No idea. All I tried to do was reset it to factory default. How can I tell which 1 it is, and what to do for either scenario?

Autonomous mode does not require a controller and you likely would be prompted on the console to configure an IP address. I can't remember if this supports DHCP or not.

Lightweight mode requires a controller to function and you'll need an autonomous image for that AP to convert it. The best way to figure this out would be the console into the AP itself.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

What's the exact model of the AP?

air-lap1142n-a-k9

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The best way to figure this out would be the console into the AP itself.

Do you mean the port marked console? I pluged my laptop in to it but nothing would show up.

20200708_134732.jpg

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Jae Tee said:

But there is no usb port on the AP. BTW the led is blinking amber

You plug the USB into your computer and the RJ45 into the console port.

The AP is almost certainly in lightweight mode and you'll need to convert it:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/upgrade-1142-from-lwap-to-autonomous/ta-p/3128135

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

You plug the USB into your computer and the RJ45 into the console port.

Ok, understood.

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The AP is almost certainly in lightweight mode and you'll need to convert it:

So do you mean to tell me that there is no way for me to use this without that 1 cable? Its just a fancy boat anchor?

2 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Ok, understood.

So do you mean to tell me that there is no way for me to use this without that 1 cable? Its just a fancy boat anchor?

Without converting it to autonomous mode you'll need to buy a dedicated controller for the AP like a 2504 or something, otherwise yes.

Once it's setup and converted you don't need the console cable anymore, you can then access it via SSH or HTTP(s)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Without converting it to autonomous mode you'll need to buy a dedicated controller for the AP like a 2504 or something, otherwise yes.

Once it's setup and converted you don't need the console cable anymore, you can then access it via SSH or HTTP(s)

Just so were clear, It is currently pluged in to a poe injector, into a switch, in to a wifi router that ive been using for months. But despite that i'll need other equipment than what it came with.

Just now, Jae Tee said:

Yes, you need a controller for access points in lightweight mode, that's how they work. In lightweight mode they are dumb devices/access points and the controller gives them their configuration and tells them what to do. You can convert the AP into a controller by using an image in the link I outlined above and then connect additional APs and they will run in lightweight mode and get their configuration from the AP in autonomous mode.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Ok, thanks so much for your help.