Is that a good choice?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I need a new PSU for my system and there are currently big stock shortages. So I'm considering buying this one: https://fr.thermaltake.com/toughpower-750w-gold-modular.html

My current system looks like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DyFPrV

So it should consume about 505W of power on full load according to PCPartPicker but this is a 750W model. I'm a little confused with the Tier List thread so I'm not sure where it's mentioned but assuming that it's a Tier B PSU, would that be a big deal considering the power efficiency and headroom?

Thanks

Should be OK; I'm running similar to what you have on a 6-7yr old OCZ ZT750W unit...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Not a good choice. It's only recommended for low-end systems according to the PSU tier list. Go for something like Corsair RMx (NOT RM non x), Seasonic FOCUS, CoolerMaster MWE Gold, BeQuiet Straight Power 11. All are between 110 and 150$ for 750W.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

26 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Not a good choice. It's only recommended for low-end systems according to the PSU tier list. Go for something like Corsair RMx (NOT RM non x), Seasonic FOCUS, CoolerMaster MWE Gold, BeQuiet Straight Power 11. All are between 110 and 150$ for 750W.

Actually I considered getting te Straight Power 11 but I need flat cables for my case.

5 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

I need a new PSU for my system and there are currently big stock shortages. So I'm considering buying this one: https://fr.thermaltake.com/toughpower-750w-gold-modular.html

5 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

There's actually nothing wrong with the Toughpower Gold.  It's actually better than the Cooler Master and BeQuiet.

16 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

There's actually nothing wrong with the Toughpower Gold.  It's actually better than the Cooler Master and BeQuiet.

If you look at the PSU tier list the toughpower is in the B-tier, which is reccomended only for low-power systems. The CoolerMaster MWE and BeQuiet Straight Power models are both in the A-tier.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

If you look at the PSU tier list the toughpower is in the B-tier, which is reccomended only for low-power systems. The CoolerMaster MWE and BeQuiet Straight Power models are both in the A-tier.

I don't care what the tier list says.  I know for a fact as I've tested and torn apart all of these units myself.

5 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Actually I considered getting te Straight Power 11 but I need flat cables for my case.

Corsair's RMx has fairly flat cables, and 550W will be more than enough for your system.

The only component that's really quite power hungry in your rig is the Vega 56, and even that with proper cooling will "only" pull around 300W. If you're still using the stock blower style cooler, you'll run into thermal limitations long before you get it to draw more than 250W.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

45 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Corsair's RMx has fairly flat cables, and 550W will be more than enough for your system.

The only component that's really quite power hungry in your rig is the Vega 56, and even that with proper cooling will "only" pull around 300W. If you're still using the stock blower style cooler, you'll run into thermal limitations long before you get it to draw more than 250W.

Yeah I have undervolted it and it now consumes below 200W on full load but it does have a few short peaks that my PurePower 400W can't handle. The problem with the RMx is that I don't have it available where I am as there are stock issues and the price difference isn't that big. I'm getting the Thermaltake for $109. Also based on the calculators I should consume around 500W on full load so a 550W PSU would be at 90% of its capacity. I'd rather have some more headroom.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Also, it's only the RGB version that's in tier B (still don't know why).  The regular Toughpower is actually in tier A.

21 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm getting the Thermaltake for $109. Also based on the calculators I should consume around 500W on full load so a 550W PSU would be at 90% of its capacity. I'd rather have some more headroom.

Sounds good then. 

Most wattage calculators are quite BS though, I wouldn't bank on them being accurate, or at least the very large majority of them.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

33 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Also, it's only the RGB version that's in tier B (still don't know why).  The regular Toughpower is actually in tier A.

Actually that part is kinda fuzzy because there are many Toughpower references in the tier list. The one I asked about is just called Toughpower Gold and there is a mention of this in the tier B.

11 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Actually that part is kinda fuzzy because there are many Toughpower references in the tier list. The one I asked about is just called Toughpower Gold and there is a mention of this in the tier B.

As i see it your PSU is the one in the B-tier. The tier list is not easy to read because the manufacturers have many models that are named very similar. There is so much choice in the market i don't see any reason to buy a PSU i'm not 100% sure about. I'd rather go the safe route.

From what i hear the stock situation is currently very bad in the US. In germany i can pretty much buy whatever i want without inflated prices or looking out for any restocking. Still i'd try to get my hands on a better PSU, even with the whole out-of-stock thing in the US.

21 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

As i see it your PSU is the one in the B-tier. The tier list is not easy to read because the manufacturers have many models that are named very similar. There is so much choice in the market i don't see any reason to buy a PSU i'm not 100% sure about. I'd rather go the safe route.

From what i hear the stock situation is currently very bad in the US. In germany i can pretty much buy whatever i want without inflated prices or looking out for any restocking. Still i'd try to get my hands on a better PSU, even with the whole out-of-stock thing in the US.

Well I finally bought it anyway because 1) Tier B isn't all that bad and 2) It has hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon, Newegg and what not and very few negative ones. That's pretty much on par with the other models mentioned in this thread if not better. It's also very popular in PCPartPicker, even with high end rigs. The extra power headroom would mean that the PSU would never be stressed as it would be at 50-60% of its capacity at full load so I think I should be fine.