Case Fan Distraction?

Omikse

In my recent look for case fans for my sons computer, I have seen and heard a lot about how quite they are when they are either idle spinning or ramped up. Now with other gaming videos I have watched, the majority of people (I would say more than 95%) are wearing headphones, and I bet most of those are noise cancelling ones at that. So the point I am trying to make here in a question is, how many really notice if your fans are noisy or not? And they are, how many of you are really distracted but them.? Personally unless something is clearly wrong causing them to be way noisier then they should be, I don't even notice them. So chime up word, inquiring mind. or just me, wants to know.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Heat Sink: AMD Wraith Prism RGB, Video Card: FTW GeForce RTX 3080, Memory: 4 x G. Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 8GB (total 32GB), Power Supply: Thermaltake Tough Power Grand RGB750W, MonitorAOC Q32G1WG4, HD: 2 x Samsung EVO 850 and 4 x Seagate 2TB ST2000DL 003-9VT166 SATA HD, Keyboard: G. Skill RipJaws KM780R RGB Mechanical Keyboard, Mouse: Logitech G903 Wireless, Network Adaptor: D-Link DWA-192 AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0

I only really notice them when the GPU ramps up to 2000+rpm, which doesn't happen in most games. Unfortunately you can't really improve that without a full custom loop, but it only really happens in more demanding games anyway

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

I definitely do, especially more so ever since I've put my PC on my desk and I'm using an open back headset. Because of this I run my fans at quite low speeds (though at load on the CPU I can't go too low because the 9900K runs so damn hot) and I repasted and tried undervolting my GPU with some pretty nice results.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Omikse said:

In my recent look for case fans for my sons computer, I have seen and heard a lot about how quite they are when they are either idle spinning or ramped up. Now with other gaming videos I have watched, the majority of people (I would say more than 95%) are wearing headphones, and I bet most of those are noise cancelling ones at that. So the point I am trying to make here in a question is, how many really notice if your fans are noisy or not? And they are, how many of you are really distracted but them.? Personally unless something is clearly wrong causing them to be way noisier then they should be, I don't even notice them. So chime up word, inquiring mind. or just me, wants to know.

I never use headphones and cant stand fan noise if im working; hence i use fanstop ln gpu, casefans and mobo so its litteraly dead silent in everyday tasks.

If i game i dont mind since sound from speakers easily drown out the quiet fans, and if i vid encode or do other load processing i just walk away to have a coffee.

A bit of moving air whoosh sound (which is different from cheap fan noise) is fine for me under 100% load; but in idle or every day tasks it should be dead quiet.

Well I have the EZDIY-Fab RGB fans  in my case. They are pretty quite. It seems that my CPU Cooler (Wraith Spire RGB) is noisier than all of them put together, but even that does not bother me. But I have kids and my computer is out in a open area so I hear more noise from them then I do from my computer anyways.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Heat Sink: AMD Wraith Prism RGB, Video Card: FTW GeForce RTX 3080, Memory: 4 x G. Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 8GB (total 32GB), Power Supply: Thermaltake Tough Power Grand RGB750W, MonitorAOC Q32G1WG4, HD: 2 x Samsung EVO 850 and 4 x Seagate 2TB ST2000DL 003-9VT166 SATA HD, Keyboard: G. Skill RipJaws KM780R RGB Mechanical Keyboard, Mouse: Logitech G903 Wireless, Network Adaptor: D-Link DWA-192 AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0

I have 2 different gaming builds in my house. And have no issues with fan noise. It doesn't bother me. But then again I'm used to loud noises as I'm a truck driver. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I have a 200 mm outtake fan on the top of my HAF 912 case and never hear it.  Also the version of the RX 5700 XT I got , the Sapphire Pulse, is pretty quiet most of the time.  The only time I ever noticed noise was some really crazy noise like coil whine from a video card or a cpu cooler that sounded like a jet engine.  With those last mentions I knew what I was getting into with the cpu cooler but as for the video card it was kind of a luck of the draw thing and a common issue with the video card and so with that said always continue to do research into what you are getting.  I wish I didn't purchase the video card I did that I had used til this year as yes the coil whine at times really was extremely annoying.

i'm pretty sensitive to audio, so i go through great lengths to make my builds as quiet as possible. 

when idle, only the pump is spinning in my main rig, only when it gets hit with some load the fans slowly ramp up.

i prefer heat over noise.

my server is also optimized for silence. going way overkill on radsize and fans made it possible to have the fans locked at the lowest RPM at all times. even when both CPU's and GPU's are at a 100% load.

1 hour ago, Omikse said:

Depends what I'm doing. Most gaming, I don't care - I use speakers and a sub that drown out any noise ;)

If I'm working though, mechanical "whining" is a no-no. I don't mind the white-noise of air rushing though, within reason. It's a very subjective thing. There's nothing wrong with some decent quiet fans though, as they'll usually last a bit longer too.
My question to you would be: why would you NOT want a quieter PC, within financial reason?

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

My question to you would be: why would you NOT want a quieter PC, within financial reason?

It really does not matter to me. I just want to get fans that look good in my case. Db's and not a priority unless they are just way noisy like my little desktop fan that keeps me cool. Outside of that, all case fans seem to be about the same amount of loudness to me and I don't even notice it.

3 minutes ago, Omikse said:

It really does not matter to me. I just want to get fans that look good in my case. Db's and not a priority unless they are just way noisy like my little desktop fan that keeps me cool. Outside of that, all case fans seem to be about the same amount of loudness to me and I don't even notice it.

In that case, 100% go for what you like the look of! Just avoid the super-off-brand $2 ones 😉 

Wraith cooler is noisy when CPU gets to 75°C and I will change it to be quiet black tower pro Iain a while. If you do intense tasks, you need a silent cooler, if you don't, then stay at stock. I can't use headphones all the time, I enjoy movies with speakers most of the time.

Not that I have expensive speakers and headphones.

Then again if you have 15$ speakers and 150$ headphones it's another story

CPUs can operate at high temps and it feels a waste of money to cool it any further...

I always go silence>temps and have big, slow fans where I can, Noctua Redux is highly recommended if you can’t spare the cash.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

15 hours ago, PeachGr said:

Wraith cooler is noisy when CPU gets to 75°C

Not to me it isn't. Not noisy at all

-> Moved to Air Cooling

All my fans have capped rpm. And there's reason for that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv