Can't choose motherboard

So basically I'm almost done with building my pc but I can't seem to choose a motherboard. I was thinking between the x470 rog crosshair vii hero, x470 gaming pro max or x470 gigabyte ultra gaming. Any suggestions?

Why X470 though?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, DIONYSIOS E.G.T.P said:

Cpu ?

Budget ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/23gzK8,TWzkcf,BWjNnQ/

Does this help...?

EDIT:

Oddly, none of them appear - from that ^^^^ - to offer 3600MHz RAM support.

Edited by Eighjan

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

7 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Why X470 though?

Probably same reason as me... "I just did".  :)

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

because the x570's were a failure in my opinion and they cost way too much for what you get and I can spend about 300 euros and I've got a ryzen 7 3700x (I'll be updating the bios)

7 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Just get a b450 Tomahawk

I you can find one... 🤨

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, DIONYSIOS E.G.T.P said:

because the x570's were a failure in my opinion and they cost way too much for what you get and I can spend about 300 euros and I've got a ryzen 7 3700x (I'll be updating the bios)

make sure you quote us so that we can see your responses

X570 was a massive success, not sure where you've been, but B450 is fine for a gaming PC.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, DIONYSIOS E.G.T.P said:

MSI MAX 'boards are already 3xxx ready, BIOS wise.

WHY NOT...?!

I've got a ryzen 7 3700x (I'll be updating the bios)

B450 tomahawk max will handle it just fine 

As for b550 

The aorus pro 

Strix f 

Tomahawk mag 

Mortar are all Decent 

As for x570 

Only two Worthy boards are the x570-p and the TuF

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

because the x570's were a failure in my opinion 

why? give some reasons.

2 minutes ago, DIONYSIOS E.G.T.P said:

and they cost way too much for what you get

well, I have something awesome to tell you about. Its called 'B550 MOTHERBOARDS'. THey are better than X470 for cheaper!

8 minutes ago, gloop said:

why? give some reasons.

well, I have something awesome to tell you about. Its called 'B550 MOTHERBOARDS'. THey are better than X470 for cheaper!

Well let's see. At first I wanted to get the x570 pro carbon but the VRM of the motherboard is weak and the IO is lacking. You can get it from bunch of other boards. I've also heard that there have been thermal issues and chipset failures. 

At first I wanted to get the x570 pro carbon but the VRM of the motherboard is weak and the IO is lacking. You can get it from bunch of other boards

That's one board 

Not all of them. And that board is especially shit.

I've also heard that there have been thermal issues and chipset failures. 

No?

Build Log: 

For identical make & model series, B550 over X470 only seems to offers support for:

Wider range of RAM speeds

Double the amount of RAM

PCI-e 4.0

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

B550 is very good for future proofing and making sure it works well with future ryzen chips. Future proofing is a pretty big thing for me, so I'd get the b550. B450 is not that bad either still b450 is very good for future proofing

I got my X470 late (Q3?) last year... doubt I'll be upgrading this side of 2021.

WHY NOT...?!

18 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

Look at a Gigabyte Aorus or Asus x570 motherboard. They are amazingly good. 

Right not all x750 boards are bad. The Asus ones are pretty good. 

That all comes down to your case and cpu cooling. All boards will need good cooling. 

B550 is very good for future proofing and making sure it works well with future ryzen chips. Future proofing is a pretty big thing for me, so I'd get the b550. B450 is not that bad either still b450 is very good for future proofing

Well MSI's x570's were disappoiting. I do agree though, some of the Asus ones are very nice but the rog crosshair viii formula is kinda dumb. The waterblock only cools the VRM and not the chipset. It's also crazy expensive for some odd reason. I personally like the creator of Asus but besides the rumors that I heard about the x570's I only really focused on the MSI ones and Asus a bit. I can't provide more than 300 euros (330 dollars) so that's why I can't really go to the x570. I'll check the b550's though. I've also got a 3700x, not a 3300x.

Edited by DIONYSIOS E.G.T.P

x470 boards are kind of a bad choice ... a lot of manufacturers cheaped out on VRM and just used bigger heatsinks and you're paying extra for the SLI license (nvidia fee) if the motherboard has 2 pci-e x8 slots that use cpu lanes.

If the vrm is decent, they saved money somewhere else like using ancient ALC887 or ALC892 for audio, or not having usb 3 10gbps ports.

You can see that Google spreadsheet and see how the VRM quality is compared to x570 : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview#gid=639584818

There's quite a few cheap and very good x570 boards... while MSI has some great B450 boards, they had some real lemons on x570 chipset ... they sort of redeemed themselves with the Tomohawk and Unify models.

Just the opposite, Gigabyte had 'meh' (not bad, just average) B450 boards but has great x570 and b550 boards now (except the absolute cheapest 2-3 models on x570 and b550, which cut lots of corners, but that also applies to Asus and Asrock)

The 3700x is not particularly power hungry, so it doesn't really need super fancy high end vrm, in the spreadsheet above you'll be fine with at least 3 checkmarks on the v1.5 sheet or 2 green checkmarks on the v1.4 sheet (the default it loads on)

Look into B550 boards because the only difference is no fan and pci-e 3.0 lanes to additional m.2 connectors and pci-e x1 / x4 slots (the video card and first m.2 connector still get pci-e 4.0 directly from cpu).

The pluses for b550 is that the vrms are almost as good or better than x570 boards and a lot of manufacturers refreshed the designs to have newer onboard sound like ALC1200/1220 and 2.5g ethernet or include wifi for cheap.

26 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

Sorry. I was answering to another thread where 3300x was the cpu and got confused. sorry for the mistake. 

It's fine.

24 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

I'd personally go with an Asus x570 motherboard. They probably make the best x570 motherboards, and I'd go with an Asus x570 if I were you

For B550 boards, you've got options. I'd avoid MSI, Asus B550's are average, Asrock boards are good for the B550 and Gigabyte b550 boards are also pretty good. I'd look at Gigabyte Aorus or Asrock for the B550 boards. 

I was thinking of going with the b550 tomahawk or the b550 aorus pro. The tomahawk hasn't been released yet, it's gonna be released this month right?

36 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

Yes, MSI b550 tomahawk is being released this month. I'd still go with the B550 Aorus Pro though. Get the B550 Aorus pro over the tomahawk

why the aorus pro over the tomahawk? 

On 7/2/2020 at 9:03 PM, Intel Fanboy said:

Yes, MSI b550 tomahawk is being released this month. I'd still go with the B550 Aorus Pro though. Get the B550 Aorus pro over the tomahawk

What about the gaming edge b550?